rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 715
Kathy Gehring posted on Sun, Dec 4 2011 7:38 PM

Hi,

I'm usually the one that reads a lot of the posts but hardly ever contributes something myself, but tonight I'm at a loss.  I have created a new table runner using the Seminole Table Runner pattern.  When I lay the runner out flat, the edges pucker.

The center of the runner is fine; it's laying flat.  The outside is not.  How do I fix this?  The border that is on it is the inner, small border.  Another wider border is supposed to be put on, but I don't want to sew it on until the whole thing lays properly.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for your help,

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

It looks like your border is the wrong size, to large.  To get the correct size you need for the border measure the MIDDLE of the quilt.  Often if you measure the outside the edges have stretched, especially if they are on the bias.  Hope this helps

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,809 Posts
Points 43,669

Elizabeth is right :-)  I've had the same thing happen because I measured in the wrong place.  Measure straight down the middle of the pieced blocks to get your border length & then the borders should lay flat, too.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 715

I'm not sure about the borders.  The runner is pointed at both ends, making the actual middle longer than the sides.  I'll try it though and let you know what happens. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

That does make it a bit more difficult.  Can you measure down the center and subtract for the points???

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

can you post a picture of the entire runner???  It sure looks pretty

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 715

Thank you very much.  I'll post a picture of the entire runner tomorrow morning.  My sewing area is in the garage and it's already locked up for the night.

Good night everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 9:24 PM

kathy, measure down the middle from where the pointy part ends.    another trick is to put the border on the bottom when you are sewing.   the feed dogs will very slightly gather the bottom fabric, making it fit better.     i agree it is too ruffly to add another border.   you'll have to take that one off and make it a little shorter.  did you cut it on the bias?   if it is cut on the bias, you may need to cut another piece.   i hate when this happens to me. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 11:32 PM

Seminole piecing tends to be stretchy.  Lots of bias edges.  Makes it difficult to fit.  I like the suggestions offered.  I will have to try them next time.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Dec 4 2011 11:35 PM

I think I would take a ruler and lay across the end of the runner just before it starts making the "point".   This will give you a good starting place for measuring the center of your runner. Then measure both sides of the point as long as the edges arent wavy to give the amount needed to do that section.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 12:03 AM

so, kathy, i forgot to add the part after you cut your border.   pin, pin, pin.   you already know that ruffling is an issue.   cut your piece after you measure down the middle.  then find the centers and quarter measurements down the side of your runner and on the border strip.  pin in th ecenter and pin on the quarters.  your runner is short enough, that you shouldn't have to pin more.   now you should be able to gently stretch the  border as you sew it on, to fit the runner.  

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630

I'm not so sure its the border,  look at the row before the border, it looks stretched and then the border has been put on.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Dec 5 2011 2:32 PM

you're right vivian.  pinning and stretching might save it.  it's worth a try

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 715

Thank you, everyone, for these great suggestions.  I plan to try measuring the middle of the runner for the border sizes after I take the borders off.  I'll let you all know how it goes when I'm done.

Have a great evening!

Not Ranked
Female
23 Posts
Points 715

Hello everyone!

You were all correct!!!  I took the border off, measured the center of the runner only to the points before it became a point (does that make sense?), and used lots of pins to pin the border on.  I also sewed with the border on the bottom and it did help. The whole thing now lays very flat and is beautiful.

Here's the finished top:

Thank you all for you help.  If I am ever in need of assistance again, I know exactly where to go!

Happy Holidays!!!  :-)

• | Post Points: 125
Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use