New from Indiana, question for quilters

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 145
amybarnhart Posted: Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:17 PM

I work out of my home, I have a 4yr. old and a 1yr. old.  I'm very busy and have little time to quilt or make creative things outside of my work.  I finished a quilt I was quite proud of, until my bubble was busted by a long time quilter.  I have a laser engraving machine and can cut fabric very quickly and accurately.  I mentioned that I used it to cut out my pieces and was chastised and told that was cheating and that I might as well work for walmart.  I picked the fabric, pattern, did the sewing, sandwiching, binding and quilting  (yes, I used a sewing machine, too.)   I worked late nights, long hours and put my heart, blood and sweat into it.

When I did mine, I was excited about all the possiblities and although the sewing is as much work as ever, wrong cuts, wasting fabric and time can be (pardon the pun) cut down.

Does everyone feel using a new way to cut is cheating?  I'm afraid to approach any other quilters.

• | Post Points: 140
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,461
Points 416,734
gini replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:23 PM

hello amy and welcome to our little group.      what you did is just fine.  you made a quilt and you didn't "cheat".   we don't allow quilting police here, period.   i'm sorry you had to run into one on  your first quilt, that's not fair.  you should not listen to any one who is part of the quilt police, you should not hang out with any of them, avoid them at all cost.   the person that told you it was cheating, needs to get a life.  

i would love to  see a picture of your quilt ?  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 47
Points 605

I think some quilters felt the same way when the rotary cutters and mats came along and moved scissors into template, applique, or thread cutting only categories. The same can be said for the people who make the quilts out of the jelly rolls and only ever use jelly rolls, or the charm packs with the precut squares. I am all for whatever makes your quilting experience more enjoyable and using the tools you have available. I wonder really if that woman feels the same way about cutting more than one layer of fabric with a rotary cutter? This is just my opinion. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:33 PM

Welcome, Amy. There are quilter of the old school who will say that anything but hand piecing and hand quilting is cheating. Bah Humbug. Some people just don't like innovation. So, don't listen to them. A lot of love and work goes into any quilt, no matter how it is put together. I wish I had an Accuquilt cutter thing. I waste more fabric with having a ruler slip or just not paying close enough attention. Unfortunately, they are just out of my price range so I keep on keeping on....and always buy more fabric then called for. So, you quilt how you want, be proud of your quilts and don't let anyone say you do it wrong.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,727
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:40 PM

Amy

Welcome to the site.   Honey if you have a way of cutting accurately good for you.   I feel there is nothing wrong with using the new equipment we have available.   If that is cheating then so is using a rotary cutter and rulers instead of paper templates and scissors.  I think it is fantastic that you have made a quilt that you are proud of.   I hope you make many more and share pics with us so we can ooohh and aaahh.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 1:55 PM

Welcome Amybarnhart!

Sour grapes to your "quilt police"!  Are you cheating when you buy a cut up chicken at the grocery store to fix for supper instead of raising it yourself, chaseing it down, wringing it's neck, scaulding and plucking the feathers out, gutting it, cutting it up, and then fixing it for supper?  NO!  Are you cheating when you buy your clothes instead of raising the cotton or wool, weaving your own cloth?  I could go on forever.

You work all day at 2 jobs (Mother, no money received and another job, paid).  Any shortcut you can take to get to the creative part of your day is allowed!

I've quilted at both ends of the quilt from total hand made to every mechanical device I can get my hands on or afford.  Guess what?  I have a quilt at the end of each that I am proud of.  And feel blessed that sewing machines were invented. 

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 225
Beth replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 2:19 PM

There's only cheating on math and spelling tests!  

Does she also want you to sew by gas lamp or firelight?   Because, of course, back in the "good ol' days" that's how it would have been done!   PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't let one mean person  ('cause that's what she is - just plain ol' mean) spoil your fun!

I'd love to see your quilt too!

Beth

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,529
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 2:19 PM

amybarnhart:
I mentioned that I used it to cut out my pieces and was chastised and told that was cheating and that I might as well work for walmart.

Whoa!  How harsh, shame on the person who said that to you.  You should've asked her if she uses a rotary cutter, our sister/brother quilters from long ago used a scissor.  Guess she cheats too if she uses a rotary cutter!  Sorry but some people get me angry.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

When someone gives you sour grapes, make wine!!!  And snuggle under your impecably made quilt in the colors you love where every stitch was placed with love and warmth.  And give a big raspberry to anyone who says any different.

Oh!! PS, Welcome!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Hi Amy, welcome. as you can tell WE don't consider it cheating, there are no quilt police on this site

[Ava, Missouri

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 2:46 PM

Welcome Amy,     All I can say is ditto, ditto, ditto of what everyone else has said.  Your quilt is as beautiful and made with love no matter how it was cut or sewn.  Quilt police are to be ignored.  Walk away from them.  Every quilt I have made and donated to charities is loved and appreciated and no one has ever said they wouldn't use them because it wasn't made the "Old fashioned way".  A quilt is a fabric hug.....no matter how it was cut or made....

Diana in East Tn.   

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,592
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 2:51 PM

Welcome Amy!  Everyone has said it all and there is nothing I can really add except to say whatever makes life easier and more enjoyable is the rule I go by.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Let me add my welcome to all the rest Amy.  Everyone has said it all.  Bah Humbug to the person who told you that you were cheating.  I know some ladies with arthritis in their hands that would love to have a cutter like yours and they are long time quilters.  Just ignore that ole meany and enjoy the process of making something from your heart. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 3:27 PM

Amy, Welcome to the club, You're gonna love it here. As you can see we are just about all of the same opinion. NO QUILTING POLICE  on this site. what ever makes the job easier is fine with us. I personally like to cut my fabric ,but I use the mat and cutter. but that is my choice. I'd tell them alot more then to buzz off.  So glad to have you joining us ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use