Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy Posted: Tue, Nov 29 2011 9:06 PM

Marge and Renee, I know you do Quilt for Kids projects.  Are there any others of you out there?  I'm interested in getting into this.  Do you all work with a local Q4Kids group, or do you work alone?  Do you requests kits from the organization or do you supply from your own stash?  Do you send your quilts to the organization's address or do you share with a local charity?  Has anyone tried starting a local group affiliated with Q4Kids?  How many quilters would you need to be successful?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,465
Points 23,995

I have been doing Q4Kids for about 2 years now. I don't know of a chapter in my area. I order my kits on line and return them to the address supplied. I have occasionally sent an extra quilt back from my own stash, but I sometimes take so long to get them finished. I am a procrastinator. I have one now that I just need to quilt, so I should be doing that instead of being on the computer.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,119
Points 110,630

MNnancy:
Quilt for Kids projects.  Are there any others of you out there?

Nancy, I have a quilt top ready to sandwich and quilt and send off. It's the first one I've done for the Quilts For Kids  project. I did use my own stash for this one.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:00 AM

Nancy,

If you go to the website, you can see if there is a chapter in your area.  If not, there will be information on who to contact to get information on how to start your own chapter in your area.

You can request a kit through the website or make quilts from your own stash. They need to be cheerful colors, quilted very well as they are washed everyday.

If you do a kit for Q4K you need to send it back to them or drop it off at you chapter.

You can contact Nancy Lacey she works in the main office, she should be able to answer any questions that you may have or get you to the right person. nancy.lacey@quiltsforkids.org

www.quiltsforkids.org   

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 210
Points 5,385
Renee replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:04 AM

Nancy,

Here are the two chapters in your state, now sure if they are near you but, maybe you could talk with someone to get additional information.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Wed, Nov 30 2011 10:00 PM

Thanks.  I did check the website and saw that Q4Kids only covers the Twin Cities metro area.  I am well outstate.  I checked the Project Linus website, too, and there are more chapters of that in Minnesota.  I emailed some of their leaders to see which chapter covers my area, and she emailed back to beg me to start my own chapter as her region is too large and she is stretched too thin.

I think I'll stop by the local hospital to see if any other civic organization is already sewing for them.  If not, and if they say there is a need, then I'll work on starting up a chapter of one of those two groups.

I'm really excited to get involved in this.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 8:40 AM

Nancy, our minds seem to be working alike!  I have been wanting to do Quilts for Kids, too.  There is no chapter close to my area.  I will have to get info and check to see if there is a need at our local hospital. Good luck!  I wish we lived closer to each other!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Dec 1 2011 10:57 PM

Sheri, check into Linus Project, too.  There might be one of those near you.  I think there are several people here on QCA who are very active in these two groups, so we should be able to get any questions answered by them.

Let's stay in touch as to our progress!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 8:29 AM

Will do, Nancy.  I'll send you a friend request so we won't have to search the posts to communicate.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Dec 2 2011 4:45 PM

Got it!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Nancy - I have a local Project LInus group that I work with.  As far as Quits For Kids, I usually order one of their kits online and return it to them when it is done.  Also have sent them from my stash. 

A word of warning in regards to starting a chapter for Project Linus ....... it is a lot or work.  The two ladies that used to run ours spent a lot of their time coordinating things, doing pick-ups and deliveries, and keeping all the required records.  They also did fund raising since most of the sewers are older ladies on fixed incomes.  Joyce and Irene "retired" at the beginning of the year and a group of ladies from a local church took over running the chapter.  They have spread the "work" out between 4 ladies.   

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, Dec 8 2011 11:03 PM

Marge (AKA Dimples):
A word of warning in regards to starting a chapter for Project Linus ....... it is a lot or work.  The two ladies that used to run ours spent a lot of their time coordinating things, doing pick-ups and deliveries, and keeping all the required records.

Thanks for the words of caution, Marge.  I certainly don't want to get in over my head. 

My church is looking at joining a network of churches who take turns housing homeless families with children until they can be assisted in finding an affordable apartment of their own.  Each church is asked to take a full week four times a year, and there are never more than six families at a time.  Wouldn't it be great if we could make quilts for the kids who pass through on our weeks?  It would probably only amount to 40-50 quilts a year, so that should be doable if I can find 8-10 quilters at church.  I'll bring the idea up if we move ahead on joining this network.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,401
Points 45,170

Hi Nancy, I have done Quilts for Kids using their kits and also usied my stash. The biggest problem for me was the cost of the postage to send them back. It seemed counterproductive to me. There are no local chapters near me. I joined a local guild and they have a program to send quilts to the local neo-natal icu so I have done quilts for them. They actually meet at a local library for sewing days which I can't attend since I am still working. However we can turn in quilts at the guild meetings. A guild in the next county does quilts for police officers to carry in their cruisers for children in bad situations who need comfort and we did some quilts for them. Quilts for Kids is a great organization but you might find something local that would work better for you.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use