Celine

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:32 PM

sissi

There have been many discussions on this one.  You will find that about half say they always wash and about half say they never wash.  I personally do not wash because I have found that it doesn't make a difference in the finished product. 

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 972
sissi replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 5:35 PM

Thank you Nana

Celine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,480
Points 244,377
Thea replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 6:00 PM

Sissi - I am in the group that says NOPE I don't want to take the time away to wash the fabrics... so I do not prewash...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

sissi:

I want some advice...do we need to wash fabric before making a quilt

Thanks

Celine

this is too funny...this question has been posted quite a few times..and that's fine...it is a question often asked and new members wouldn't have seen the older posts...so my answer is...in 20 plus years of quilting I have never prewashed my fabric. 

Oh and Welcome to QCA...it is a great site and we are all a very chatty bunch...we would love to see pics of quilts you have made

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Celine, I think I have welcomed you but just in case....Hi and welcome to QCA!

I wash when I can because I don't like the chemicals in the fabric and I don't mind washing and ironing and I love having it all nice and fresh.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,818
Points 43,789
Eileen replied on Tue, Nov 3 2009 8:06 PM

Yep. Two camps on this one.  When I finally found a quilt shop and took some classes, I heard this: if you're wondering what to do when you start a project, you have to do the same thing to all the fabric - so, either wash all of it or wash none of it. 

Like Spudgrandma says, she doesn't like the chemicals, and some people don't like the extra dye.  Some projects come out better if the fabric has that unwashed stiffness to it.  If you ever plan to wash what you make (think baby quilt, something for a pet), you might want to consider washing everything first. This helps get rid of the chemicals, extra dyes, and makes sure if the fabric will shrink it does so before you cut it up & sew it to something else.  There are even products on the market spefically for quilt fabric which are gentler than regular detergent (can't think of names right now).

I think it mostly comes down to personal choice and function.

Hope this helps!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Eileen:
I think it mostly comes down to personal choice and function.

That is so true, there is no right or wrong on this one just personal preference!!

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Wed, Nov 4 2009 9:18 PM

sissi:

I want some advice...do we need to wash fabric before making a quilt

Thanks

Celine

There have been many discussions on this one.  You will find that about half say they always wash and about half say they never wash.  I personally wash because  the chemical in the fabric make me wheeze, its what you want to do.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use