Has anyone ever made a quilted rug?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 475
Ladysewnsew posted on Sun, Nov 27 2011 9:31 AM

I hope I am posting this in the right area.

My mother is wanting to make a quilt into a rug, the problem is she has hardwood floors with a high gloss shine to them (almost mirrored).

She is trying to find out what you would use after you make the quilt top what is the best batting to use? Also what would you use for a backing so you would not have a residue left on the floor like rubber would leave?

I thought of you ladies when searching for an answer as there are lots of very experienced quilters here. I was hoping maybe someone could point her/us in the right direction.

Thank you all so much for your help..

Cheryl

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 9:56 AM

Cheryl

The only suggestion I have is to buy one of the things that is made to go under rugs to keep them from sliding.  I don't know of anything that could be used for backing to keep the "guilt" from sliding on high gloss hardwood.  I bet it will be beautiful when finished.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,847 Posts
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 11:24 AM

Only thing I know of is that carpet tape. But, it sticks fast and you would probably never get it off teh floor. there used to be a liquid to paint on the back of the hooked rugs to keep them from sliding but it would ruin the quilt back. Good luck. I think Nan has the right idea.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 475

I was reading about this stuff called floor cloth. Have any of you heard of it? 

For me I would think if you used some muslin for the back of the quilt and then sew some rubber like draw liner stuff on the back it would work but for my mother having the high gloss shiny floors everything leaves a residue on her floors.. I love the looks of her floors they are beautiful (I will see if I can find a picture of her floors) but I would never have those types of floors they are just way to hard to keep up with..

Anyway I was reading online about floor cloth but I have never heard of it nor where you could buy it etc any ideas?

Thank you all for your help or ideas

Cheryl

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use