Top 10 Posters

What is your favorite batting?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 7,235
Kathy M. Boice posted on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:41 AM

What  quilt batting do you prefer and why? I like the Warm and Natural but have not tried the newer ones on the market.

What do you think of the new bamboo battings?

Do you ever use 100% polyester batting? I find they "pill up" and work thru the top of the fabric so I try  not to use them.

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,587 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:43 PM

I use Warm & Natural or Warm & White most of the time as I can find it around here.  I want to try Quilter's Dream and Hobbs, but I guess I will have to order them on line.  I definitely do not like using the polyester as I find it so hard to sandwich.  I've tried the bamboo once and had no problems with it, but I can't find it around here either.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:50 PM

With such enthusiastic recommendations, I will have to try Quilter's Dream batting.  Where is it available, and how is pricing compared to W&N and Hobbs?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 4:33 PM

Nancy

Try this website ...  they used to have it.   www.virginiaquilter.com     And Quilter's Dream batting is made in Virginia.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi MNnancy,

I buy wholesale from Quilter's Dream but LQS usually care it.  It is a little more expensive than the other battings but is well worth it.  You have more options for your designs because of the quilting distance.  You will use less thread in the long run. There is one funny thing... a client brought her own batting and I was so surprised by the smell, the little peices of roughage that should have been removed in process and little drops of glue that I could not get out.  It is funny because I had never noticed a smell, goog or bad in batting and now I can not remember what it was.

Judylee.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

I checked out the web site, and there are quite a few options for this brand of batting.  Do you all use the basic Quilter's Dream cotton?  Has anyone tried the 70-30 blend?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 8:25 PM

Nancy

I usually use the select or request in the batting.  I haven't tried the blend.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

Warm & Natural is all I use. You can use it for so much more then just as batting in quilts.  You can make all sorts of ornaments and such with it.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Answered (Not Verified) Sheila replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 9:24 AM
Suggested by Sheila

Kathy - I've used the polyester and would only use it for something I want to be very lightweight with big loft. I love the warm & natural because it's so easy to sandwich & quilt on. I've got some good ideas for others though from reading everyone's comments so Thanks for starting the conversation!

Not Ranked
37 Posts
Points 990
MINDYT replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 9:40 AM

I like the Warm & Natural batting too.  But, the last 2 projects I have did, I used the Bamboo batting.  It washes beautifully.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170
Judy Lee replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:50 AM

Hi MNnancy,

I have tried all the Quilter's Dream line and I alway come back to Select 100% cotton or the Wool. I have tried the 70/30 and it qults just as nicely!

Judylee

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 10:52 AM

Thanks Judy.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 7:43 PM

Quilter's Dream and Hobbs. I have done 2 quilts with 80/20 blend to make it a little lighter and easier to dry. Both receivers love them and no pilling so far.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Nov 29 2011 6:50 PM

Kathy I always use 100% cotton batting. I think it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. I think it's also easier to quilt. I tried polyester once...never again. It just didn't work for me. I have never tried bamboo; I just won't spend the money on it. I would rather spend more on fabric, especially when I know cotton works great!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use