Top 10 Posters

What is your favorite batting?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 28 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 7,235
Kathy M. Boice posted on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:41 AM

What  quilt batting do you prefer and why? I like the Warm and Natural but have not tried the newer ones on the market.

What do you think of the new bamboo battings?

Do you ever use 100% polyester batting? I find they "pill up" and work thru the top of the fabric so I try  not to use them.

• | Post Points: 140

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
356 Posts
Points 27,260

Kathy M. Boice:

What  quilt batting do you prefer and why?

Kathy, until recently I always used a low loft poly batting but last project was a cooperative project with a dear friend and she insisted on Warm and Natural.,  What a difference.  It sandwiched so much nicer, is 100% cotton, was a pleasure to work with, does not need to be quilted as closely.. 

A little pricier, but worth every cent for the time factor and the finished product.

I think this will be my new choice for future projects.

Darlene

from Western New York

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 12:56 AM

Hi Kathy

When I took my first beginning quilting class at a LQS they steered us to Warm and Natural so that what I used to use- and I still have a lot of it on hand.  But I have a NEW favorite Quilter's Dream which I much prefer- it is so soft and easy to quilt on. I love it. Also, another one I have some of but have not tried is Hobbs wool batting they say that is really nice to quilt on but I cannot say since I haven't and it is supposed to be very warm but light if that makes sense.  What do I know I am in AZ! LOL   But I do know I won't buy any more Warm and Natural but I sure have a lot to use up. : (   It's not that I hate it --its just Quilter's dream is so much nicer, IMHO. 

Polyester batting I have not used yet but heard it can be more difficult to quilt on than cotton.  Also, I wouldn't use it here in AZ because it wouldn't breathe and we have such hot weather here.  Give me cotton, baby! LOL

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,475 Posts
Points 24,120

I just quilted a quilt using bamboo batting, and I found that it is very linty. Not sure I like it. I usually use Warm and Natural, or Hobbs Heirloom cotton batting because I have a big supply of it that I would buy from Joann when it was on sale. But my personal favorite is Dream Cotton, Request loft. It is so soft and thin, and makes beautiful quilts.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,428 Posts
Points 38,310
Linda replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 4:05 AM

I'm a Warm and Natural fan. I have used Hobbs a couple times and it was good. Cannot use wool as I get the itchies and even hives. Don't care for polyester at all. I do have some low loft polyester on hand tho, but generally use that if I'm going to tie a quilt.

Linda

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

I really like the Dream Green batting ,It easy to work with  and is made from recycled soda bottles ,the 2 liter kind .I t warm and quilts very well ..Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Hi Barbara,

I use only Quilter's Dream batting as well.  I love the hand and feel of it.  I also  noticed that no one had mentioned the quilting distance associated with the different battings.  Quilter's Dream allows you to quilt from 8 to 12 inches apart and still maintain its quality.  The other battings say on their packages what the maximum quilting distance is and usually it is alot closer, like 4 to 8 inches.  That means if you do not quilt their recommended distance, your  quilt ill not last as long and it costs more in thread to quilt that closely.  I bought a Quilter's Dream sample package and got to try all their products, I was impressed.  The next one I am going to use is he black cotton select to go in to a dark quilt...no bearding, so they say...I feel a test comeing on! LOL!

Hope this helps,

judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

Judy  let me know how you like the black, I have been thinking about picking up some myself.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 7:19 AM

Machine quilting with polyester was a nightmare. I tried Warm and Natural and was an instant convert. Then I tried Hobbs Heirloom, liked it just as well. I am now using Hobbs exclusively. I can have it delivered to the door for a cheaper price, including shipping and duty, than purchasing W&N at the cheapest price anywhere where I live. I have become a big fan of Connecting Threads for that reason.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,025 Posts
Points 16,160

Barbara,

I just finished a dark purple quilt for a friend and the bearding wasn't too bad but I spent and hour width a lint brush.  I think that if I had used the black that bearding would be less noticeable and less lint roller time.  I will definitely keep you posted.

judylee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,817 Posts
Points 248,489

Judy, A BIG THANK YOU  I appericate it ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:06 AM

I love Quilter's Dream cotton batting  It feels like a piece of fleece and quilts like a dream.  I do use warm and natural some and even poly some but my favorite is QD.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,310 Posts
Points 26,920

i use the Warm and Naturat or warm and white 100% cotton..  Do not like Hobbs.  then I was turned on to Dream!!!!  I love it but it is hard to find here.  I think as soon as I use up what I have I WILL  by it on line.  I also must say that I LOVE the batting tape to put pieces together!  It is super and I have used up batting that I have had sitting in the closet.  Be sure to use a pressing cloth.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 10:25 AM

Thank You, Ladies, I have been wanting to change batting but did not know which one,s were better. I will  try some of dream . Just started using warm and natural,Like it so much. Susan

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sun, Nov 27 2011 11:39 AM

I prefer warm and natural but have used mountain mist for certain projects. Warm and natural is a lot better for sandwiching it is more dense for warmth as well.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use