Top 10 Posters

What do you know about Singer featherweight machines?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430
KathyColorado Posted: Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:33 PM

I see there are lots on Ebay with a wide range of prices.  Other than condition, is there something that makes one a higher price than another?  I'm looking to purchase one but don't really know that much about them or what to look for before bidding. 

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,416
Points 415,744
gini replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:40 PM

the prices on them run from a couple hundred dollars to 5-6 hundred.   it's supply and demand.  if you live in an area where they are scarce, you'll pay more.   the shipping on one of these machines will be pricey, too.    you can still find them occasionally at yard sales and  antique stores reasonably.    if you can plug it in and it runs, you are probably getting a good machine.   they are easy to figure out, easy to work on, and you can probably get it serviced at any sewing machine repair shop. 

since you are thinking about bidding on one,  they will tell you if it works.  they've probably cleaned it up.  i can guarantee that as soon as you get your first one at "retail", you will find one  for $20 at a yard sale and won't be able to resist.   and that's how you start a collection of featherweights.   they are wonderful little machines.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,416
Points 415,744
gini replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 1:44 PM

i just checked in spokane  on craig's list and 5 popped up,  they ranged in price from $295-original owner/family, to $799.   

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,526
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 7:07 PM

I found one on Craig's list last week for $200 and the pictures looked pretty good.  I was really tempted, but talked myself out of it.

I would certainly try to find one locally before buying on-line.  I want to see it and try it before I buy it.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,215
Pamela replied on Thu, Nov 24 2011 8:20 PM

My husband purchased one on eBay for me as an anniversary gift last year. We actually spent several months checking out the different machines before doing any bidding. We had also checked some out at antique shops locally and out-of-state, when we were travelling. We did some bidding for machines on eBay, but bowed out when they went way too high. We finally got a really nice machine for $365, including shipping. It is a Centenniel edition (1951) with several attachments. The case is in good shape and it runs very well. Most of the machines on eBay were going for $350 to $400 at the time, although some went up into the $600 range. A few sold for less, but they wer in obvious poor shape. You need to set a limit on what you'll pay and be persistent on finding just the right machine. Do your homework to know what to look for and check out the seller's reputation.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430

gini:
i can guarantee that as soon as you get your first one at "retail", you will find one  for $20 at a yard sale and won't be able to resist.

Oh no don't tell me this Gini.  I'm such a procrastinator when it comes to making a purchase like this so I think I'll just wait for that $20 yard sale! 

I think I just talked myself out of this, just like Sandy.

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,416
Points 415,744
gini replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 9:40 AM

unfortunately, kathy, that's not how it works.   you must have already purchased a featherweight, then at the next yard sale you will find one for $20.

seriously,  know what the box looks like that they come in, it's pretty distinctive.  you should learn to spot one, back in the corner, under a pile of stuff, with people walking back and forth, and dust in your eye.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 13
Points 275

Kathy,  I have been looking for a nice quilting machine that we could afford and the Singer  Sew and Go is finally what I settled for and I love it.  We found this on HSN.  It was 499.99 and I got so many extras with the machine....incredible.  I also wanted a warranty with mine.  I ordered the first one and it not at all what I wanted so I sent it back for the one I have now.  Are you looking for a new one or used on?  I have my Singer decor' for sale with the large canvas case on rollers.  Its not a quilter but I've used it for the last 5 yrs as I have been quilting.  I have taken care of the machine and it is just as new as the day I bought it.  If your interested  gat back to me.  My email is c.blumenschein55@gmail.com.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,416
Points 415,744
gini replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 10:05 AM

connie, kathy is looking  at featherweights

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Fri, Nov 25 2011 10:06 AM

Connie, let me know if Kathy is not interested, I may be.  I've inherited a White Quilting Machine Model # 1740 but the cord and the foot is missing.  I found that my Janome cord works but the foot doesn't.  In searching for the foot online I discovered to replace it will cost me about $40.  

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430

Connie,  Gini is correct...I'm on the lookout for a  featherweight. 

Marie, go for it!

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 26 2011 6:50 PM

I saw a featherweight in one of our sewing machine shops today for $450.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Nov 28 2011 1:08 PM

Love my Featherweight...it is a joy to sew on...at anytime!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use