Top 10 Posters

How do you store your rulers for easy access?

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 7,235

This is the rolling cabinet. Click on the picture to make it larger to read my labels. I label everything! I guess I am afraid I will forget what is where, and where is what! LOL (Kind of like who is on first?)  I am getting older and my memory is getting shorter. Hugs, 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 7,235
MNnancy, This is how I keep tack of my ruler instructions. I know, I am so organized, sorry. BTW, I use Microsoft Home Publishing 2000 to make my folder fronts, etc. I love that program!
I am not confident in color choices and have started a folder with info on that.

I also love my "Strip Ticket", the red instructions hanging under the folders, which has the best directions for making bias bindings.
My nephew made me the black shelf holding the folders, etc. I just had to give credit where credit is do! He helped me with my sewing area. He is the best! Sorry, I do not mean to brag..... I am blessed. My life has not always been easy, trust me! It has been a life with much tragedy.  But I am soooo thankful for the people in my life who are trying very hard to make life easier for me now.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 151
Points 3,075
Cathie replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:21 PM

I'm glad my dh is handy. i have 2 bookcases that he made doors for, pegboard on one side designwall on the other side with my fabric on the shelves

Cathie     Mt Joy pA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 788
Points 12,685
Quiltless replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:22 PM

MNnancy:

I like Nana's zip lock bag idea because then I could keep the instructions with the ruler.  I find that I buy a ruler/tool after seeing it demonstrated somewhere, but then as time goes by, I forget what the tool's intended use was.  I guess I should also be taking pictures of the tool/ruler being used to put that in the bag as well.

Nancy,

Instructions in a zip lock bag is good, but watching a demo again is better.  Make a video of the demo and capture it.

My husband gave me a Flip Video as a gift. They have many of them new and used on eBay.  I have the Ultra but the Mino model starts at $89 new at Sears.

It is so easy even I can operate it and upload to my computer. Other video cameras work just as well.

Then a friend clued me in to a free video capture tool that works like a charm.

It is the "Ask and Record Toolbar" http://www.applian.com/asktoolbar/download.php I liked version 4 the best.

Here's a youtube video on how to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Oy79avJrw

I've been teaching myself to quilt and make other things by watching all the free videos on the web. I capture what I like and store it on a flash drive. Then, when I'm ready to do that kind of project, out comes the flash drive and I can go back and forth to see the details.

I'm very excited about this technology combination.   It is like having the experts "on demand" right in my sewing room. 

(Don't share though for copyright reasons.  However, you can make a video capture copy and use it for yourself.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 1:34 PM

You ladies are all so organized.  Thanks for the great tips!  I left a message on your gallery picture, Katie.  Q_Kath, I love the video capture idea!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 2:14 PM

Well my small rulers go in a beer stein mug from budweiser I got years ago from a coworker for xmas. The large ones just stay on the table with my cutting matt.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 3:23 PM

My large rulers are on a pegboard (previous home owners had it on the wall)   All of my small rulers and templates (under 12") are stored in one of those plastic scrapbooking paper storage boxes.  I think they are 13x13 by about 4" deep and come in colors.  They also make good project boxes.

Page 2 of 2 (22 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use