Top 10 Posters

How do you store your rulers for easy access?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 92
Points 2,430
KathyColorado Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:13 AM

A pegboard on the wall?  A slotted board on the table?  Or another idea?  Please post pictures....I love , love pictures!

Kathy

Kathy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:22 AM

I can't take a picture right now Kathy, my camera is broke. I store my rulers on on hooks on my wall. They are organized by size. Several of them didn't have holes so my DH used his Dremel to put holes in them. It worked really great! I have them hanging on the wall right next to my cutting table for easy access! I have been wanting to post pics of my studio...can't wait to replace my camera!!!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,706
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 8:46 AM

Most of my rulers are hung on nails above my sewing and cutting tables.  The ones I use the most are slide into an organizer that hangs on the side of my cutting table.   The smaller ones that don't have holes are in gallon ziploc bags that are hung on a nail.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:12 AM

I use a very high class system of storing my rulers....I have 2 bent nails on the side of my cubby cabinet where I hang rulers.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,583
Points 75,665
Karla replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:14 AM

I think if I had a way to safely store and organize them, I wouldn't have such a hard time finding all of those small specialty rulers and tools everytime I needed one.  Lord, please help me get organized.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:21 AM

I like Nana's zip lock bag idea because then I could keep the instructions with the ruler.  I find that I buy a ruler/tool after seeing it demonstrated somewhere, but then as time goes by, I forget what the tool's intended use was.  I guess I should also be taking pictures of the tool/ruler being used to put that in the bag as well.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:25 AM

I to have a very scientific way to store my rulers  I have a small box that I keep them in with the instructions ,very close to where I can reach them . Since my sewing room is a corner of my living room ,I try to keep the nail holes down to very minimal . It works well for me ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,302
Points 414,104
gini replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:55 AM

i store mine under piles of fabric so i have to hunt for them.   it's my twisted idea of excersize

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 9:57 AM

Gini, that's a good one ..LOL  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 10:19 AM

gini:
it's my twisted idea of excersize

ROFLMAO!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,203
Points 239,127
Thea replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 11:01 AM

Gini - you are a trip!  thank you for my Saturday morning smile! 

I keep mine on nails that I have pounded into my sewing room walls - I keep thinking that someday when I have a proper sewing room I'll have one of those really nice peg boards to put them up on - but for now they just go on the nails...

You can see in this messy picture of my sewing room - that there are nails on the wall at the back of the cutting table - which in this picture is covered with fabrics for something... not sure what - but at the back of the table are the nails that the rulers are on...I am not sure what I was pulling fabrics for when this picture was taken...  the cutting board is usually clear though - it is not as messy right now... lol

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 955

Because I'm limited on wall space, I use a document/letter holder - the kind that you can stand paper up in.  Its got 3 or 4 dividers and I store my rulers by size.  This one has a solid bottom so no rulers fall thru and its in easy reach for when I need one.  

Monika

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,706
Points 436,515
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 11:11 AM

Thea

Your pic makes me feel so much better....LOL>   My sewing area was so cluttered that I could hardly find the sewing machine.   Finally got most of it cleaned up this am.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 53
Points 995
katieskoog replied on Sat, Nov 19 2011 11:12 AM

I bought a peg board from home depot for about $13 then painted it pink (my sewing room colors are yellow, sea glass and a splash of pink) then I bought all the metal holders - you can buy baskets and a bunch of different things for it. I need the basket for some stuff I cant hang (my rag quilt scissors and small rotary cutters). this is the most handy thing you can have in your sewing room! and you can make it match with a coat of paint! this is a great way to store cutting mats and stencils so they dont get ruined - check it out for some inspiration! good luck!

it will not upload my photo - keeps saying it is too big and i took another one on the lowest resolution - i will post it in my gallery - check it out

• Filed under:
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 7,235

I have two solutions for ruler storage near my cutting table. One is the wood Ruler holder available at JoAnn Fabrics and the other a rolling cabinet.

This rolling drawer cabinet has deep drawers for most special rulers. Longer Rulers I store in wood ruler holders. I love the fact I can take the drawers from spot to spot easily. I placed that rubber drawer liner in the drawers to help hold the rulers in place so they don't get shifted around and scratched.

Both are from JoAnn Fabrics. Use those 40% coupons!!!

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use