Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 170
islandsgirl13@yahoo.com Posted: Sun, Nov 1 2009 11:35 AM

Hello,

I have two great nieces that I was teaching to sew over the summer.  I sent them home (1200) miles away with a Janome and many tools.  The problem I have now is no one near them sews.  When questions arise they don't have anyone nearby to ask.  Any suggestions for videos/books/web sites that they can visit to help them continue to learn to sew?  They are under 12 years old and I'm hoping to keep them interested!

Thanks for all suggestions!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 11:38 AM

Islandgirl

I am not able to help with your question but I just wanted to tell you how great this is.  It is so hard to get the young girls interested these days.  Also Welcome to the site and we hope to hear from you frequently.

Nana

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,777
Points 245,587
Thea replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 11:48 AM

Islandgirl - what kind of sewing are they learning to do -

welcome to QCA... first should have said that...lol

there are instructional videos and programs /books for all types of sewing...

Nancys Notions is a great place to start for sewing - she has tons of dvds about the subject and there are some really good books too...

connecting threads is a good place to buy books at a discount and they always have beginner books listed - I just recently bought some on learning quilting for my "girls"

my "girls" are 3 girls 12,11,10 - all interested and like you 1200 miles away from their Auntie Thea...

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 170

Thank you Nana.  It was a great way to keep them occupied AND I got to do what I like most......Quilt!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 170

Thanks for the welcome.  I've been sitting on the sidelines forever now, but knew all here would have great ideas!  I forgot about Nancy's notions.  That sure is a great place to start. 

One likes Quilting the other had a whole list of "design fashions" she wanted to create!!!  I'm hoping to have them twice this year, maybe I can convince my local quilt shop to run an appropriate class........

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Welcome to the QCA forums, islandgirl! When you have time, if you haven't already, tell us a little more about yourself: where you live, kinds of quilts you like to make, etc. We also love to see pictures!

Gillette, WY

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 79
Points 1,975
WeeOne replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 1:51 PM

For quilting reference books I would recommend: 

Your First Quilt Book, by Carol Doak   This book shows the basics of quilting and has some easy projects.

I did a search and found these two web sites that might be helpful:

http://www.kids-sewing-projects.com/index.html

http://www.kidssewingcompany.com/

If you have the time, maybe you can make some easy projects, take photos of each step and a simple explanation.  Send them a new project ever 6 weeks or so.

Hope this helps.

Lyn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 127
Points 5,312

I am the DVD QUEEN... I think I have almost every quilting DVD series there is including 70% of the QUILT in a Day and all the Fons and Porter series...

For the beginning quilter I recommend:  PATCH WORK SCHOOL HOUSE WORK SHOP DVDS... These DVDs start with BASIC TRAINING AND then PERECISION PIECING then the DVDs go on to every method of flying geese, half sq and quarter square triangle and how to FINISH your quilt ... machine quilting ( domestic machine) borders and binding.    I purchased the entire set of seven DVDs.

C& T publishing has several beginning quilting DVDs I purchased for about $20 at JoAnn Fabrics ( $26 if you bought direct from the publisher.)  I recommend Dian McClun and Laura Nownes BEGINNING QUILTMAKING  and if the girls are old enought to learn to quilt correctly... Sally Collins TEACHES PRECISION PIECING.  I think every quilter should learn these skills at the beginning of the quilting career.

Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 170

Thanks so much.  I've gotten many great suggestions!!!  I knew everyone here could help!

Happy Quilting!

D

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,822
Points 43,834
Eileen replied on Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:59 AM

islandsgirl,

Here are some books you might try - maybe check your library first and see what you think of them. Some, like the Gail Gibbons book, are for younger kids, but she's an excellent non-fiction author for kids.  Lots of books from Kids Can Press, too - their website is http://www.kidscanpress.com/US/ and their titles include:

The Jumbo Book of Needlecrafts c 2008 - has sewing, needlework, knitting & crocheting & is a compilation of 4 or 5 of their stand-alone books.

Simply Sewing by Judy Ann Sadler, c 2004

Making Fleece Crafts also by Sadler, c 2000

Quilting by Biz Storms c 2001

All-American Quilts by Biz Storm c 2003

Other books include:

The Quilting Bee by Gail Gibbons c 2004 HarperCollins - a little history and some projects/patterns

With Needle and Thread by Raymond Bial c 1996 Houghton Mifflin - he's a wonderful photoessayist and this book includes the history of quilting/quiltmaking. Perhaps for the older end of kids (maybe 7th or 8th graders).

Kids' Easy Quilting Projects by Terri Thibault c Williamson Publishing/Publishers 2001 - this is, like Kids Can Press, a good publisher of childrens books.

Hope these help and kudos to you for passing a love of sewing & quilting on to younger generations!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use