Top 10 Posters

How do you store your quilt magazines?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 7,235
Kathy M. Boice posted on Sun, Nov 13 2011 12:09 PM

As quilter's, we NEVER get rid of our valuable quilt magazines! So how to you store them? When I lived in TN, I had shelves with plastic baskets. Since moving to OH I no longer have the shelves and my collection has grown. I tried storing them in large plastic storage bins by magazine titles and in order of the newest one on top of the stack, but they are too heavy. Any other ideas??

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Female
358 Posts
Points 5,635
dardar replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 4:56 PM

I do the same, but I am not as organized. Mine still fit in one binder. I like your idea. By the way love your cat. It is Identical to mine, who is about 8.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,476 Posts
Points 24,140

I periodically go thru my accumulated mags and tear out the patterns I want to keep and put them in a binder. Then I get rid of the mag. If there is a mag that I don't want a pattern from I take them to my guild or give them to another quilter. I am also cutting way back on my subscriptions. Seems like here lately the patterns are getting too far out for me, or I already have a similar pattern. It's time for me to cut back and save that money for fabric.

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

I donate the magazines I don't want to the local nursing homes. Even the non-quilters enjoy the colorful pictures and memories they bring back.

Before I bought a new  washing machine that only uses liquid soap, I used boxed detergent. The large "economy" boxes (80 loads???)  of soap are the same size as my magazines, so I just trimmed off the lids and covered the boxes with pretty paper. They have a handy carrying handle built in and are very sturdy so they work very well for storing my periodacles - they're even stackable! I have a sheet of lined paper in a plastic sleeve that I use for an index, writing the patterns, issue # and dates on it so I could easily look it up if I needed it. I just slip it in the front of the box - each box has a seperate magazine and hold about 3 years worthof monthly publications.  (you may need to put the hose attatchment on your vaccuuum and suck out the last little bit of soap or your magazines will smell laundry fresh!)

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
341 Posts
Points 7,235

Wonderful replies and suggestions! I have never been a part of a "guild" and don't have quilter friends nearby. I wish I did!! It is hard for me to get away from the house for hours at a time even if there was a "guild". Is a guild the same as a Quilters Club?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 8:13 PM

My storage system is simular to cupcake2, except I use cereal boxes.  I cut them so they look like the office magazine storage holders.  I have a couple of those but they were going to be to expensive for me to get as many as I needed.  They hold about 18 mags each . Pick your favoriate, shreeded wheet, corn flakes or count chocola

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,069 Posts
Points 13,810
Carey replied on Sun, Nov 13 2011 8:34 PM

I have them in two different things one in a magazine rack and the other place in a wheeled storage three drawer unit.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 775
Marsha replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 7:01 AM

Kathy, I live in an RV so I HAVE to get rid of my quilt magazines.  I still subscribe to two of them but when I've held on to them for a couple of months I, too, go through them and make realistic decisions about which things I am most likely to make.  I keep them in binders like others who've replied here.  I love the idea of keeping different binders for different types of projects and may work on that.  I have two thick notebooks, but don't carry both in the RV with me.  One is at my daughter's.  I go through the two every summer and decide which ones I'm likely to do that winter while I"m in the South keeping warm and separate the articles accordingly.  I do love the "subject" binders idea, though.

A member of our quilt guild keeps all her magazines in plastic bins, in date order by name of magazine.  She brought 20 bins to our guild meeting last week to donate them to us.  Now we have to decide how we're going to store them so the members can borrow them.  I think we're going to have some husbands build a tall double bookcase that is on rollers.  It will be open when we are in session, and closed and locked when we are not.  If you've ever been to a school book club sale (usually by Scholastic Books) our bookshelves will be like the bookcases they bring the books in on.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

I USE THE  3 RING BINDERS WITH  THE  SLEEVE PROTECTOR THINGS AND SLIDE THE ENTIRE MAGAZINE INSIDE.  I SEPARATE THEM WITH THE INDEX INSERTS BY YEARS.  THERE IS A DIFFERENT BINDER FOR EACH  MAGAZINE....LOVE OF QUITLING, EASY QUILTS, QUILT, ETC.

WORKS GREAT FOR ME

HAPPY QUILTING!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.