Top 10 Posters

Is this old quilt Sticks & Stones pattern?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Sat, Nov 12 2011 10:55 PM

This is an old quilt from my DH's Aunt.  I rescued when his uncle died about 9 years ago along with several old quilt tops  I think it was made in the 1950's or before bbecause the  backing is feed sacks.  Does any one know the name of this pattern.  I have fabric to recreate it but if I can find some from the more like it I would be happier. 

This is a close up of the least faded part of the quilt.  If you look closely the white border around the large red square is mitered! 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Nov 14 2011 2:33 PM

Vivian :

And here I thought it had something to do with rain!!

My DDH (dear deceased husband) was a full blood Creek Indian so I am well aware where the saying came from.  However, my family has always had someone who had to cross a low water bridge to get to town (as I still do) so it did become something to do with rain.  DDH always thought it was funny and would Volunteer to "rise" If someone had some place to go or do that they had rather not.  He was a hoot!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 305

That is such a pretty quilt.  Aren't the old ones special?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Tue, Nov 15 2011 5:37 PM

Oh yes they are, Very much so!  I'm so glad I rescued this one even if the batting is falling out in about half the blocks.  I think it is so beautiful and can see in my minds eye about 11 way to use this pattern.  However, the first will be to simply copy it as closely as possible using red and white.  I know it looks pink but when I peeked through a rip it was red!  Much used apparently.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use