Top 10 Posters

Thread

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 165
Robin posted on Tue, Nov 8 2011 7:29 PM

WOW! in 5 minutes I received several answers to my question.  I guess I should have been more specific, I guess what I want to know is should I be using cotton thread or poly.  I have read things that suggest cotton because it is easier on the cotton material.  Anyone want to give me a short class on this?

Thanks everyone for the great help.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:27 PM

Robin

I try to always use cotton thread.  It preforms in the same way the fabric does and tends to hold up a little better than the poly.  However, I have used poly when I couldn't find the color I wanted in cotton threads.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,485 Posts
Points 362,207
Answered (Not Verified) Kris replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:26 AM
Suggested by Joy

I try to stick to cotton for piecing but for quilting anything goes. 

Click here for some Thread Education 

There is quite a variety of topics on this page. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Wed, Nov 9 2011 9:55 AM

Robin, I always use cotton for piecing because it shrinks and blends better with the fabrics. But when quilting the quilt, I use whatever works best with the look I'm trying to achieve. I will say that most of the time its cotton, but in different weights. I also use the clear mono-filament thread quite a bit. You can't see the thread but the quilting really stands out. Just remember to loosen your tension if you use this thread.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use