Misbehaving fabric

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon posted on Sat, Nov 5 2011 4:22 PM

I purchased some "Quilters Solid White" fabric to make some small table cloths. I always prewash and starch the fabric before using the them. For this project I purchased 9 yards and thought it would be too much for the washing machine at one time, so I cut a piece that was 74 inches long. The final length will be 72 inches with 1/4 inch turned under twice to enclose the edges of the fabric. This fabric shrunk 2 inches in length! Yes it was cut correctly. The width shrunk 1 inch.  Then when sewing the fabric, it kept sliding on the machine, it seemed to stretch and get wavy, even the shorter 30 inch seams. 

Toledo, OH

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Answered (Verified) Sheila replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:21 AM
Verified by Sharon

Sharon:

I purchased some "Quilters Solid White" fabric to make some small table cloths. I always prewash and starch the fabric before using the them. For this project I purchased 9 yards and thought it would be too much for the washing machine at one time, so I cut a piece that was 74 inches long. The final length will be 72 inches with 1/4 inch turned under twice to enclose the edges of the fabric. This fabric shrunk 2 inches in length! Yes it was cut correctly. The width shrunk 1 inch.  Then when sewing the fabric, it kept sliding on the machine, it seemed to stretch and get wavy, even the shorter 30 inch seams. 

Sharon - I've been told that JoAnn's fabric is specific to them - that they have it made for them which is why you don't often see a Mfr name on the selvage like RJR or Windham would have. I can't say that I've had any issues with their fabric - YET - but I'm very glad you posted this so that I can check it before I use it. And THANKS to Sukochi for her suggestion on checking the size for shrinkage - great idea. At the cost of fabric these days, I'm sure we all want the quality that we are paying for. I too would take the fabric back and demand a refund. Obviously, it's defective! Don't be afraid to do that. If they value their name & brand, they should be happy to make that adjustment. I know that JoAnn's in Toledo, just like Mansfield, is pretty much the only game in town. Not like 20 yrs ago when we had lots of fabric shops but, that doesn't give them license to sell us poor quality fabric as though it's first quality.

• | Post Points: 55
Top 150 Contributor
Female
425 Posts
Points 9,195
Verified by Sharon

Keep in mind that fabric comes in different qualities. Greige goods are fabric that haven't gone through the dyeing and finishing process. They are often used as first runs by manufacturers when preparing to print a length of fabric. Then, after all the color and placement details have been worked out, the higher quality fabric is placed on the machines for the printing. This is the reason for varying prices in fabric. Greige goods are sold as discounted fabric and picked up by many stores. I'm not saying that JoAnn's using greige goods, but I would have to say that some of their fabrics are certainly a lower quality. Thread count and fabric feel are often giveaways on the fabric quality. However, starching fabrics can often give them a higher quality feel, but, remove the starch in the wash and the fabric becomes thin and wears easliy. Doesn't mean you won't find the cheaper fabrics at a quilt store, either. It depends upon what the owner decides to purchase. The addage "you get what you pay for" speaks true with fabric, generally. I would not say that the fabric is defective. The type of shrinkage you described can be typical with lower quality goods.

Check out this site for information on fabric shrinkage - http://www.all-about-quilts.com/fabric-shrinkage.html . Here is a quote from the site - "Shrink tests have been done with cotton fabrics and shown that good quality fabrics shrink less, around 2% both in length and width. Poor quality fabrics when tested shrank up to 6% in length and width."

Another site indicated that undyed fabric may shrink more, due to the fact that the process of dyeing is a preliminary shrinkage process. The white fabric you purchased may have shrunk more because it was undyed.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,696 Posts
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 4:28 PM

Sharon

Wow.  Luckily I have never had fabric misbehave so badly.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,843 Posts
Points 85,675

What company makes that fabric?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,639
gini replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 4:51 PM

i've only had this happen on fabric cut on the bias, and with my new machine it doesn't even happen then.   was the material 100% cotton?

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940

The fabric came from JoAnn Fabrics and it is 100% cotton. The fabric did act like it was cut on the bias. The edges were woven a little tigther than the main fabric. The thread is also cotton. After making the first table cloth and having all the problems, I re-washed and dried the fabric two times then starched and ironed it again.

Toledo, OH

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,272 Posts
Points 413,639
gini replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:26 PM

after rewashing it, did it work better?

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 11:01 PM

No, it wasn't any better. I talked to the people at JoAnns about the shrinkage and all they could say was that they would tell people to wash that particular fabric before using it. None of the other fabrics from JoAnns has ever acted like this. Very strange.

Toledo, OH

Top 25 Contributor
3,771 Posts
Points 50,500

Sharon:
I talked to the people at JoAnns about the shrinkage and all they could say was that they would tell people to wash that particular fabric before using it. None of the other fabrics from JoAnns has ever acted like this.

Sharon

I am sorry you had that experience with the fabric from Joann's. That stinks!  I bought some Christmas fabric at Joann's once that had gold in it and after it was washed it came right OFF.  Maybe we just got a bad lot of fabric. So I have steered away from Joann's since then. I do get notions there though.

I just hit my LQS becuz they have great sales. Today all fabric was 30% off - clearance was 50% off! 

We should just mfg our own fabric, huh?

Hugs!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

I have been disappointed in the quality (or should I say "lack of") in JoAnn's fabrics lately.  I, too have been buying mostly notions there.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,773 Posts
Points 247,869

Sheri and Marlene,I agree,the last few times I looked at the fabric ,i was not pleased with it. I buy just about all of mine from LQS or connection threads.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,843 Posts
Points 85,675

Ira Jane, a quilt teacher and one of us here, told me to always cut a  2x2 or 3x3 sqaure, draw around the edge on a piece of paper, then hand wash it and dry it. Put it back on the little pattern. If it shrinks, you will know   I think I would have taken it back to Joann's, ask for the mgr, and explained that if they are selling defective merchandise, they will have to give a refund, or you will put the word out.  This has worked for me before, with other stuff.  and write to the home office.  Stores don't want loud, unhappy customers.  And, find out who manufactures that fabric and write to them. I have written more then one letter to the Editor of our paper telling everyone in town to beware.  Of course, Al ( our New Editor, and my former bosses husband, who doesn't like me), has not published some of my letters.  Now, when I write a letter, I sign DH's name! HA, take that Al.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,465

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
I think I would have taken it back to Joann's,

I would have done that if it were my fabric.  It's a valid reason.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
441 Posts
Points 7,940

Sukochi

Thanks for the advice. There are only a few places to buy fabric here in Toledo, and Joann’s is the cheapest and has the best sales. I have been afraid to make waves but I should have with this fabric. I did not talk to the manager only a long time worker but she did not believe me about the shrinkage. I should have taken the first tablecloth back to show them. The older workers should know me by site because of all the fabric I purchased over the years.

I am going to go back and find out the manufacturer and write to them. Another thing, this fabric is slightly thicker than most quilting fabrics. This project is for my sister’s church and needed to be finished quickly so I just put up with it. These will be on the alter at her church so they will not be seen by many people. I am going to try blocking one of them to see if that helps straighten out the lines.

Mars,

Also, I just bought some bright red Christmas fabric with gold flecks for another of my sister’s church projects. The fabric washed ok but I haven’t starched and ironed it, or measured it yet.

Toledo, OH

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,232 Posts
Points 17,875
Answered (Verified) Sheila replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:21 AM
Verified by Sharon

Sharon:

Sharon - I've been told that JoAnn's fabric is specific to them - that they have it made for them which is why you don't often see a Mfr name on the selvage like RJR or Windham would have. I can't say that I've had any issues with their fabric - YET - but I'm very glad you posted this so that I can check it before I use it. And THANKS to Sukochi for her suggestion on checking the size for shrinkage - great idea. At the cost of fabric these days, I'm sure we all want the quality that we are paying for. I too would take the fabric back and demand a refund. Obviously, it's defective! Don't be afraid to do that. If they value their name & brand, they should be happy to make that adjustment. I know that JoAnn's in Toledo, just like Mansfield, is pretty much the only game in town. Not like 20 yrs ago when we had lots of fabric shops but, that doesn't give them license to sell us poor quality fabric as though it's first quality.

• | Post Points: 55
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,582 Posts
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 1:58 PM

I very rarely buy fabric from JoAnn's...but like most of you I buy notions and batting.  When I have a 40% off coupon I usually buy Warm & Natural Batting and a lot of it.   I have not been happy with a lot of their fabric...to get the good stuff from JoAnn's  you're going to pay just as much, if not more, than at  your local LQS. 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use