Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 905
pattie Posted: Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:44 PM

I have been looking at the beautiful quilts and I have to know what the secret is to making these line up.  I have been feeling very intimidated and I decided to try an easy fairly large pieced quilt.  I spent 2 hours trying to figure out how all of you straighten these fat qts and yardage.  Do you pull a thread?  I have been sewing for years and I guess sewing clothing is a lot more forgiving than quilting.  I can't seem to make even a pot holder and have it go together like it should.

Can it be that difficult to straighten and cut and sew these quilts as it seems to me?  I would love to know what I am missing that I am having such a difficult time of it.  Do you all of a sudden have a "duh!" moment and it all becomes clear?

Can anyone help?  Thanks

pattie

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:50 PM

Pattie,I admit mine don't always line up straight . but it does get easier with pratice My first few tops were just awful . just hang in there it will get better . I'm not the one to give you the advice on how to line them up other then make sure your seams all match up  and your blocks are squared  up .barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 930
Kari replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 9:54 PM

I am a new quilted, but I learned this from an experienced 30 year quilter.  make sure you seams are pressed "opposite" each other.  when they are layered on top of each other the seams should butt up against each other .  Pin and sew and your seams should be lined up perfect.  Good Luck

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 790
Points 20,040
Carol replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:18 PM

Pattie, are you asking how to straighten the fabric itself?  Or just to line up the seams and blocks?  You need to start by having the fabric flat and smooth (press) folded in half, and line your ruler up so it is straight with the fold line, then trim the cut edge evenly, then cut your strips from that edge.  Is that what you mean?  It's a little hard to explain things clearly like this - if I could just show you, you'd see how easy it is!  Good luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,415
Points 415,724
gini replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:23 PM

pattie, where in washington do you live.  this is hard to explain, but real easy to show someone.    one of the gals in your local quilt shop should be able to get you started on evening up your fabric, too.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 4:36 PM

yes, Pattie, where do you live? I live in Eastern WA, about a hundred miles north of Wenatchee.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 870
Sheila H replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 5:19 PM

Hi Pattie, I'm new to quilting as well and I still struggle to always have straight iines or points meeting up properly. I think sometimes though we're our own worst critics because we see every flaw even if others don't. 

Are you talking about your 1/4" seam allowance not being straight/lined up? My instructor would tell us take some scrap fabric and continue to practice over and over again. I was also told at first to take some painters tape and place the tape where your 1/4" is on your machine. Another tool that I found is a piece of plastic that has directional arrows on it that you slide over your plate I believe it's called  Clearly Perfect Angles by New Leaf Stitch and I use that all the time now until I feel more comfortable with my sewing.

I also agree with the other ladies take your piece or quilt into your local LQS and ask for their advice. trust me I'm always in mine asking for help, good luck! Sheila

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use