Bernina embroidery module

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T Posted: Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:05 PM

Hi, this is my first post.  This sounds like an interesting place.  I live in WA state and have been quilting for a lot of years. 

I just have bought a Bernina 440 QE this year and love it, especially for the BSR.  I have thought of trying to find an embroidery module and wonder if anyone here has a used one for sale?  I have never used one of these, can't afford a new one.  I tried Ebay but there was not one there.  The 440 is being discontinued and I don't know if there is a embroidery module that fits all Berninas or if there is one just for that machine.  Does anyone know about that?

Thanks in advance if anyone has any advice or ideas.

Dot

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 8:21 PM

Dot T:
Hi, this is my first post.  This sounds like an interesting place.  I live in WA state and have been quilting for a lot of years. 

Hi Dot

Welcome! Yes, this is the most interesting place you will find for friends and quilting.  Truly!  You can learn a lot and meet the best people in the world.

I have a 440QE like you and love it but don't have the embroidery module becuz like you at the time I bought it I thought it was pricey, and didn't think I would do embroidery.  I am beginning to rethink that, and think I would like to have it becuz now I see what all the people here do with it, and wowie! Can they ever do some beautiful work.  It leaves me to the curb! LOL

I do know Bernina has discontinued the 440QE, and a friend of mine just got one at a local dealer at a fairly good price due to  it being discontinued.  I wonder if you could pick up the embroidery module for it at a Bernina dealer at a discount since it has been discontinued- I don't know if it fits that one model only.  What about Craigs list? 

You may want to try various Bernina dealers around the country and see if they have any used ones they would sell you.  Hey, its worth a try.

Take care!

Marlene

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,406
Points 415,664
gini replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 11:31 PM

hi dot, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Dot--

Welcome to QCA.  I just moved from WA after 50 yrs there and I'm a Bernina owner, too.  My machine is older, the 180, but it has an embroidery module and is a great machine.  I'm not positive, but I think the embroidery units are machine specific.  Marlene's suggestion to check dealers for used ones is a good idea.  Hope you enjoy your time spent on this site--it's the greatest!

Kissimmee, FL

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:24 PM

Hi Marlene:

Thanks for the ideas.  There are a lot of Bernina dealers around Puget Sound area and I will try calling around.  I tried Craigslist, but nothing there.  Nothing on EBay, either.

Dot

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:26 PM

Hi Joyce:  That is a good question for me to ask as I am calling dealers around Seattle, Tacoma, etc. 

I am sure to enjoy this site.  Years ago  I was in a quilting website and made some good friends there.  It is interesting to read all the suggestions, questions and it is an opportunity to learn.

Dot

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 12:31 PM

Hi Gini - I see you are a neighbor in Idaho.  Beautiful state.  I have to learn how youall get the pix on your post, and the cool signatures.  Better go to a question area if I can find it.

Really nice to get  posts from you so quickly.  I know quilters are very helpful and warm people.  I will be spending some time here, I am sure.

Dot

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 1:01 PM

Welcome to the group. Lucky you have a really great machine. I have a basic sewing machine with a quilting table that came with it and assorted feet. But their advice is good try the local dealers and countrywide if you have to :)

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:20 PM

Thank you, Carey.  I haven't tried country wide but my local dealer told me this afternoon, that they never get in just a module.  You would also need a dongle and software for it.  Used ones, never.  They have to be calibrated to each machine, best price I could get was $999.for a new one for my machine.  Oh well, I tell myself I really didn't want the embroidery!  You think?  So next week I will go to a Northwest Quilt, Craft and Sewing Festival.  I don't really need anything, it is just for fun to browse.  There are some classes but I have not gotten that schedule yet.

The Bernina is a really great machine.  I also have a Pfaff which I love too much to give up.  Quilting is my recreation, I love it.  I mostly love to design my quilts.  Not art quilts exactly, but just not traditional.  Having the BSR is so great!

Dot

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:28 PM

Dot

I have the Bernina 435 that is just like the 440 except it didn't come with the stitch regulator.  I did get the embroidery module with mine but it wasn't specially calibrated for the machine.  I haven't heard of that before.  It connects to my machine and then there is a USB cable that connects the machine to my laptop.   The module came with a CD of software that uploaded on the computer.  Love the embroidery feature and actually use it often.   In fact I found a Janome Horizon earlier this year that I got at an excellent price.  I now use it for my piecing and quilting because it has a much bigger throat space.   I have my Bernina set up for just embroidery.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 9:42 AM

Hi Nana,

I really don't know about the calibration, it is just what I was told yesterday by the gal at the Bernina store.  She may have meant that the calibration is just for the particular model.  For instance, your 435 module would not work on a 440.  She talked about needing a dongle, which I don't know what that funny word means. 

I really like all the beautiful embroidery patterns, but when I bought the 440 I decided I was primarily a quilter, I was too old to bother with learning about embroidery, and since I design my quilts (primarily wall or lap quilt size), I really didn't need it for $1000 more.  Probably the wrong decision, but now I have to live with it.  And I sure don't need a 3rd machine.  I even gave my serger to my daughter.  Don't use it anymore.

My Pfaff I use for the piecing and other sewing, and the Bernina is just set up for BSR free motion.  Now I am quilting on two Christmas lap quilts that were unfinished.  It is a joy to use the BSR instead of trying to free motion on the Pfaff.

What nice people on this website, I have enjoyed poking around and seeing all that is here.

Thanks for writing.

Dot

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:05 AM

Dot

I am not sure what they actual "dongle" is either.  I suppose I have one....LOL>   The same module does work for both machines according to my dealer because I had the option of going with the 440 and adding the module or going with the 435.   I opted for the 435 because it would do 9mm stitch width where the 440 is for 5mm stitch width.    I liked the wider stitch for decorative stitching on crazy quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,568
Points 30,579
Kelley replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 10:55 AM

The " dongel " is for the  Viking Embroidery Software package...I have the 4D software and it is wonderful... I have a Brother embroidery machine and I love the viking software the best of all I ve looked at

Kelley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 11:48 AM

Dot T:
She talked about needing a dongle, which I don't know what that funny word means. 

Hi Dot,  I live in Winthrop, WA ... welcome to QCA...I love it!

I have a Bernina 200E with the embroidery module and the editing software.  The Bernina "dongle" is a security device that you need to plug into a USB port on your PC/laptop to use the Bernina Embroidery Editing Software. (You cannot use the software without having the dongle plugged in!)  As I usually end up modifying my designs, I use the software regularly.  I have a Bernina USB memory stick that I transfer my designs to (from my PC) and then just plug the memory stick into my Bernina machine.  For me, this works much better than the old method  using the CD drive & a cable (I don't have room for  it or my PC next to my sewing machine).

Hope this helps,

Donna B

Winthrop, WA (in the beautiful Methow Valley)

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 230
Dot T replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 12:47 PM

Hi Donna -

You live in a great little town, I really like Winthrop and the gorgeous Methow Valley.  I live in Gig Harbor, another beautiful area.  Washington is the best and most beautiful place to live.

Thanks for clearing up what a dongle is, now I understand what its' purpose is.  I gave away my laptop to my granddaughter when hers broke, so I would also have to buy the module and a laptop.  Guess it is not gonna happen.  Maybe I could buy a used Bernina with the embroidery and sell my Pfaff, boo hoo.  I like the 9mm decorative stitches on my Pfaff and was disappointed that my 440 only had 5 mm.

I am making a C'mas wreath, done crazy quilt style, with lace and charms and decorative stitching.  The Pfaff works so well for this.  And I am quilting on a Christmas crazy lap quilt on the Bernina with BSR.  The best of all worlds.

Thanks again, Dot

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use