Hello from south Georgia

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 35 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 225
Geri replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 7:57 AM

Gini, Thank you so much,  I will order them today.  I hate to not be able to use all of my large spools of great thread, I don't like to waste anything.  Someone suggested using smaller (skinny) thread spools as inserts but I don't have any of those either so I would have to buy either one.   I began this quilting idea about 5 years ago when I was still living in Florida which had several good places to purchase supplies but since then I moved to GA to be near my daughter and her family.  The couple of fabric stores here are very small and only carry limited supplies, nothing like a quilt store.  

Thank you again for all of your help, I do appreciate it.

Geri

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 225
Geri replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 10:27 AM

Marge,

Thank you for your suggestions, I will order online since it seems I have to but to be honest, I hate having to pay shipping.   I suppose as a senior now, living on social security I have to watch what I spend money on.   I wonder why Wal-Mart discontinued fabric and notions in their stores?   We have a Wal-Mart within walking distance to where I live so it would be nice to buy some things there.  I will check out the two sites you mentioned, thank you again.

Geri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Geri - you can also buy a thread stand fro Nancy's Notions that will handle those large spools of thread.  Just make sure you buy a metal one and not a plastic one.  It will last you a lifetime.  I used to work for a commercial sewing supply place that sold them to use in factories so you know how sturdy these babies are.  You can also put them in a coffee mug behind your machine and run the thread up through your thread guides.  A lot of the gals that sew with me at the LQS for the Humane Society use this trick. 

I know what you mean about a lack of quilt shops in South Georgia.  I was looking for some below Macon for a gal using my Quilters Travel Companion and there sure is a lack of quilt shops down your way.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 50
edkyser replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 4:54 PM

Hi Geri from another south Georgia quilter. I live in Brunswick and have the same problem as you. we  do have one quilt shop about 17 mi. east of me.Like you I waited until I retired to start in earnest with my quilting and now I am out of control.I do a lot of my shopping on line for notions like batting and buy fabric when I get to a quilt shop. Evelyn

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 843
Points 18,935
Cindy replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 4:59 PM

Evelyn,

You mean Stepping Stones is the closest quilt shop to Brunswick.  We are certainly quilty deprived here in South Georgia.  I mostly shop when we are out of town and on line of course.

Cindy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
But, I also support the LQS as I would hate for them to go out of business. 

Thats right, we really don't like to sew all that much, we just like to support local shops, Yea, that should fly, economic assistance to small business.  and then of course, we have to do something with all that fabric so we make quilts. 

Page 3 of 3 (36 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use