Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 305
Rose-Marie Posted: Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:29 AM

Who has what  machine and what do you like most about it?  I have been pondering the Bernina 830e for some time.  Now I have discovered the new Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold and others such as the Pfaff Creative Sensation, Brother Quattro 6000D, Janome MC11000.  Getting a bit of a headache over this.  I would sure appreciate users comments.

Rose-Marie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,613
Points 418,219
gini replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:39 AM

hi rose-marie, welcome to the groupu

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,329
Points 27,225
Elizabeth replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:54 AM

I love the Bernina Brand.  I bought an 830 in 1976, an an Artista 200 i  2000,  The 830 went to my sister and is still going strong.  I love the 830 and considered buying it but got a long arm instead.  I highly recommend Bernina

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 12:02 PM

Simply put you find a dealer that is close to you, that has support and a good warranty for yourself. Hopefully they provide some training for you on your new machine. Then you find the machine that has the features you want and one you can afford and try them all out. I don't have any brand name I have a basic sewing machine europro shark from target years back. But thats what the boards told me when I thought I might have to buy a new machine which I tech. could not afford.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 12:20 PM

Rose Marie

I have a Bernina 435 with embroidery module that I love.  But I think the other brands are good as well.  Most of your big name brands have excellent machines.  I suggest that you find a good dealer that is helpful and has a good service dept.   I have found that is more important than the actual brand.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 6:20 PM

I agree with the others about finding a dealer who you trust and who is a reasonable distance from you.  You don't want to have a problem and then need to drive a long distance for service.

I own a Bernina and a Janome and like both.  Mine are not embroidery machines.  I'm sure you would be happy with any of the name brands.  Do your homework by checking websites, comparing features and narrowing it down to the ones you want to test drive.  You can google models to see if there are any reviews.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,787
Points 12,965

I agree with Carrie,

I have three Brother machines (Quattro, Laura Ashley, and Project Runway). I also have a Janome sewing machine and a Viking serger. While the Brother dealer will fix all machines, they sell Brothes and are very close to my house and wonderful people. That's why I kept going back and getting bigger and better machines. :-)  Choose someone you are happy dealing with as most machines have similar features. I think the only think I miss having a Brother would be a stitch regulator for FMQ.

Oregon

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 10:25 PM

I'm of the same opinion - find a good dealer near you that will be there for you. I just today paid for a used Pfaff Creative Sensation. It's one model year old (considering they're on a 3 yr cycle). It's a trade in for a trade up on the newest machine. The shop is going to check it over and tune it up for me, give me a 1 yr warranty, and free classes! I went to a Janome dealer near me and waited more than 20 minutes for someone to even talk to me. When no one did, I left. Obviously, they weren't interested in helping me. They're the only 2 shops close to me. I've been using a Brother from Wal-Mart. It works great for piecing but, quilting??? Not so much. You've probably got a list of requirements. I did look at the BabyLock Ellure. If this opportunity hadn't appeared, I probably would have bought it instead.

Sheila

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 10
Points 50

I have two Brother embroidery machines and really enjoy them.  I agree service is very important should you ever need it.  Decide what your needs are and then go for the best machine you can afford.  I don't know of any place to go and find out what the pros and cons are of machines.  Sure wish there was a place that compared them.  If you are going to free motion any of your quilted items a free motion regulator is a must.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 622
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Thu, Nov 3 2011 11:09 PM

Hi, Rose Marie!

I have a Bernina 730, and it cost me $6,000.  I absolutely love it!  The 830 costs twice as much, but the only thing it would do (for ME) is to embroider a bigger piece at once, and I don't really do the BIG embroider pieces.  I guess it depends on what you DO, you know? I haven't had ANY trouble with this machine!  But I mostly sew, as I do garments as well as quilts, and embroidery is a side thing for me.  However, if you do embroider big pieces, I think you would love it. The throat on that thing could swallow a shark, and the bobbin is HUGE, not an ordinary bobbin. I hear you can sew for days and days without running out of bobbin.  Let us know what you get! and welcome...  :D

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 6:57 AM

Rose-Marie Posted: Thu, Nov 3 2011 12:29 PM

Who has what  machine and what do you like most about it?  I have been pondering the Bernina 830e for some time.  Now I have discovered the new Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold and others such as the Pfaff Creative Sensation, Brother Quattro 6000D, Janome MC11000.  Getting a bit of a headache over this.  I would sure appreciate users comments.

I agree with everyone ask yourself what am i going to do with this machine more sewing or more quilting or embroidery and get the main feature you will be using it for and then everything else will fall in place and when you decide before you buy go on line and look at the reviews people have written about the machine you like best and the second best and compare them and don't buy one that you will never use all the features on it will cost more and be a dust collector. But if you do buy one with a lot feature please go to the classes and learn how to us them they will make life easier for you.

I have 2 embroidery machines D-1 and a Diamond  and the software to run them that is another expense that you have with embroidery machines and I have a bother from Wal-mart  I used to quilt on and a upholstery machine (100 yrs) . On the Diamond I like the lighting and the feature that you can edit your design on the sewing machine screen its self or hook the computer right to it. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with buying a good used sewing but remember if you buy the embroidery machine you can't with Vicking anyway use some one else registered software it can only be done one time with Viking.  

Sue D. ohio

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1
Points 20
Pat replied on Fri, Nov 4 2011 10:30 AM

I would have to agree with the others that have told you to get a dealer that services the machines.  I have a Brother 8200 (which is an older model) that I love.  I don't do as much sewing or embroidery on it right now do to some health problems, but soon I hope to be at it again.

Pat D. in Aston, PA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 305

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.  Spent 2 1/2 hours at a Bernina dealer to learn the ins and outs of the 830e which seems wonderful.  Came home with lots of food for thought.  Going out again on Monday with a friend to look at other machines and see where that takes us.

Rose-Marie

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 65

I'm having the same question; probably I'm over thinking it but these machines are very expensive.   I do mostly sewing so sewing quality is key, but would like the option of embroidery, esp monograms and names. They just don't look great on regular sewing machines, even TOL ones.   And, Quilting is something i'd like to get good at.  After looking at MANY machines of all types, I've decided to treat myself with a TOL.   I'm down to either the Baby Lock Ellisimo gold or Pfaff Creative sensation.   ID LOVE to hear from those who own either machine.    I've several questions/issues below, but bottom line, i'll learn to use  whatever i buy,  but which will sew the very best?                   

1. Dealer:  Baby lock is better and closer, and a 5 year warrantee plus more.  I'd be confident they could keep my BL running well.    Pfaff dealer is fine, but a bit further and not quite as  utterly helpful as the Baby lock. As  man, its not always easy to be comfortable in a sewing store.

2. Screen and ease of use:  Baby lock, hands down

3. Pfaff has the IDF (Integrated dual feed) and baby lock does not.  I don't do a lot of quilting, but may want to learn and do more.  And, I sew heavy fabrics for mens clothes.  How important is the IDF?

4. With BL, you have to either plug in "gas pedal" to sew and can't use push button start on machine; or unplug it to use button.  I believe with Pfaff, you can do either, with the gas pedal plugged in. I kind of like the options for either.   Similarly, with the Baby lock you have to unscrew the foot attachment to change from sewing to embroidery; the Pfaff is just a foot change.   However, the BL still has the back of machine manual foot drop (along with automatic), which I like,  Pfaff has eliminated it.

5. BL  seems to have a reputation for being reliable.This is important to me.  I've read many bad things about the previous Pfaff Creative Vision, but they seem to have things worked out. but.. In fact, the wonderful BL dealer used to also sell Pfaff, but had so many issues a few years ago, the stopped selling Pfaff.

6. Pfaff  seems to have a few new, cool features like the shape creator/applique, and a sophisticated new feed system and fabric thickness sensor. BL has one, but seems Pfaff is more state of the art.  BL has the hand held tablet (not sure that will be more than a gimmic that I won't use after a few weeks)

7. I embroidered on both, and both seemed great.  Maybe (just maybe) the Pfaff was a tiny bit better. However, so much depends on thread, fabric etc. the buttonhole maker seems easier perhaps better on the BL.

Other comments?  See, I'm over thinking it

THANKS!!!!!!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,700
Nana replied on Wed, Feb 15 2012 10:33 PM

In this case I would pick the machine with the closest dealer and the best service reputation.   Both machines are good machines.  The dealer in this case would be my selling factor.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use