Top 10 Posters

Bonnie Hunter's newest mystery quilt

Page 4 of 11 (158 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 157 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Sun, Nov 6 2011 3:22 PM

Marie:

I'm going to give it a try but I will at least download her weekly instructions Lee.

Me too Marie.  Maybe we can be support buddies!  lol

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Mon, Nov 7 2011 11:13 PM

Sounds like fun.  I'm in!  (I think)

Will we be posting pictures here as we do for our QCA mystery quilts? 

What colors are you all using?  I don't want to use red and blue, but I haven't checked the stash yet to see what bright colors I can use.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:45 AM

Nancy ,I like you would like todo this, I have lots of strip scraps but need to go thru them .i'm goona at least get all the instructions ,I may not be able to keep up ,will just have to see how it goes.Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:50 AM

"What colors are you all using?  I don't want to use red and blue,"

Nancy,  I asked  if we HAD to use the same colors.  I have a great stash of blues, purples and greens.  More than the other colors in my collection.   Beside, I love these colors.  I will have to at least lengthen the quilt size as I have a specific person in mind for it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:54 AM

Lee, I think those would work just fine, I have not picked any colors yet as I need to see what I have. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 7:48 AM

Thanks Barbara.  I guess that means we can usually choose our own colors instead of having to go out and buy new ones.  Frugality is my middle name!  LOL

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 7:55 AM

Lee, today we have to do things like that I have enough stash to do this for awhile anyway.I hope it gets me thru the winter. Barbara 

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Whatever colors you choose to use in the mystery, just be aware of contrast.  If you read much of Bonnie's advice/patterns/blog you'll see she's a big supporter of using what you have instead of buying yardage for her quilts.  If you seem to have more of blues and greens in your stash (just as an example) go with those! Bonnie's biggest mantra is the more variety of a color family you use, the BETTER!  Just the chance to use up those fabrics you just aren't sure what to do with because they just don't seem to "go" with other fabrics in your stash.  Another example is she's using red/blue/black combinations for this mystery.  I seem to have an abudance of orange, purple and browns so I'm going to go with those. I wouldn't usually think that combination as pleasing but I'm positive it'll work for this mystery.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

My personal take on what thread colors I use.  I use every and any thread color that have on hand for piecing blocks.   Especially, those I have the least amount of.  I have yet to have anyone notice what the thread color in the seams are, even quilt show judges.  I've even made black and white quilts with all colors of thread and not a soul could tell. I think thread color doesn't come into play unless it's for applique or the actual quilting. I'm sure the quilty police will disagree, but I just don't see where it makes any difference, except on my pocketbook.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 1:22 PM

Jennsquilts:

My personal take on what thread colors I use.  I use every and any thread color that have on hand for piecing blocks.   Especially, those I have the least amount of.  I have yet to have anyone notice what the thread color in the seams are, even quilt show judges.  I've even made black and white quilts with all colors of thread and not a soul could tell. I think thread color doesn't come into play unless it's for applique or the actual quilting. I'm sure the quilty police will disagree, but I just don't see where it makes any difference, except on my pocketbook.

Glad to know that!  I have lots of spools of thread that are almost empty.  Be glad to get rid of them.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 5:20 PM

Lee:
I asked  if we HAD to use the same colors.  I have a great stash of blues, purples and greens.

I looked at the info on this quilt and Bonnie said "I am suggesting 3 bold colors that stand out against each other, plus background"

so it sounds like your colors will work.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 5:29 PM

Hey Jenn. love the new Avatar.. barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 91
Points 1,640
Lee replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 5:30 PM

TY Jacy.  Appreciate your taking the time to answer me.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,640
Jacy replied on Tue, Nov 8 2011 5:38 PM

MNnancy:

Will we be posting pictures here as we do for our QCA mystery quilts? 

Kris suggested we start a thread for this over in the Scrap Happys Group. Then we could post our questions, pictures, etc there.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Just as a point of reference, I posted a couple of pictures of past Bonnie Hunter mystery quilts I made.  They really are a fun to make.

Page 4 of 11 (158 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use