Top 10 Posters

Repairing an old quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
3 Posts
Points 45
Cheri posted on Tue, Nov 1 2011 5:48 AM

I have a quilt that was passed down to me and was told it had a water stain on it so my aunt put it in the washer before she gave it to me hoping it would come out. I did not have the heart to scolled her for doing it. Well the stain came out alright and so did some of the hand stitches on this  full size 1930's print double wedding ring quilt. I'm sure my Great Grandmother is doing flips in her grave at this point. I am a quilter but I only have made quilts. I have never repaired one, let alone one so old. I don't have the money to send it out for repairs. I'm not scared to try but I wanted to get advise from others before I started this repair. A few of the patches have started to unravel. I had thought of slipping a light weight fusible behind them, then turn the edges under, press, and blind stitch it. If it was a tied quilt I would clip the ties and replace the bad patches but it is hand quilted with Granny's 10 per inch. I must save this quilt. I am open to any and all suggestions.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 10:38 AM

Good question. I'm sorry I can't help you have never repaired either but I'm sure some people here have or might have some good advice or know where to look for information.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,372 Posts
Points 37,380
Answered (Not Verified) Linda replied on Tue, Nov 1 2011 11:15 AM
Suggested by Cherylann

Cheri, you have quite a project on your hands! I have repaired some old quilts, but it depends on the damages. How badly unraveled is it? If not too bad, you can needle turn and hand applique the patches back into place. It is tedious, but well worth it in the end. The idea of putting fusible interfacing behind the fabric is ok, however, if the fabric is thin the glue could come thru the fabric and that could damage the fabric. Perhaps a lightweight stabilizer, non-fusible might work better. At least it could stabilize the fabric a little. Don't be too concerned with Granny's 10 per inch or you will drive yourself crazy. There is tiger tape that you can get that will help you with the stitches. Or just do your best. Whatever you do will help to save the quilt. Good luck with your project! Say a little prayer each time you sit down to work on it. God will be right there with you. I say a prayer each time I sit down to my machines and each time I start cutting a project.

Linda

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use