Page 6 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 117 Replies | 14 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 930
Kari replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 7:39 AM

Since my Quilt shop was out, I ended up finding them at Walgreens in the office supply section.  From the research I have done online they originally were not made for Quilters.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 930
Kari replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 7:51 AM

Also, forgot to mention.  The ink reappears in temps lower then 14*.  I tested some fabric, wrote a message, ironed it away and put in in the freezer.  I left it in over night and when I took it out the ink reappeared.  I reironed it and ink disappeared again.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 8:24 AM

At one point is was discussed that anything that disappears by ironing only goes into the nether regions and then can make a surprise reappearance at a later date. Hence I will be sticking to the washable markers. Sometimes it is the fabric that is the problem, not the marker. I made a scrap quilt  for grandson with red backing and border. After washing only one particular fabric, muslin type, picked up the red. The other good quality off white fabrics and blues all were as pristine as when I started. I use the washable markers on my cream colored aida for cross stitching without problems.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 1,240
Robin replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 8:37 AM

I competly agree Agnes. Since you told me abt them I have used them for every type of fabric i have had to mark on and they have don perfectly, no problem washing out, no bleeding when i iron and they are only $4.95 for 12 :) That is part is one of the best reasons to use them in my book, everything else we use to quilt is expensive. It is refreshing to have something actually be inexpensive!

54489-334-8316A1515E9EAACAFAD07A9B1BA72F55

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 49
Points 1,240
Robin replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 8:40 AM

So Kari doesnt that mean  the ink does not really disapear? What abt washing in cold water? That is what I wash all my quilts in.

54489-334-8316A1515E9EAACAFAD07A9B1BA72F55

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:29 AM

Kari:

Also, forgot to mention.  The ink reappears in temps lower then 14*.  I tested some fabric, wrote a message, ironed it away and put in in the freezer.  I left it in over night and when I took it out the ink reappeared.  I reironed it and ink disappeared again.

Kari - we could start sending secret messages to each other!! How cool! (pun intended).

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 6,110
Pat M. replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 10:47 AM

I use Shout Color Catchers when I wash my quilts for the first time (I use Crayola markers) to help "catch" any extra dye (ink). I have never had any problems.

Pat--"Keep Calm and Carry On"

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 4:48 PM

I would use Shout Color Catchers if I could find them. They are nowhere to be found in my part of Canada. I've looked for years where other Shout products are on the shelf.

Robin--I buy mine at Back to School time. I only paid $3. I wasn't sure how mine were holding out so I I bought another package at that time, this time going for a different color mix.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

Not in my part of Alberta either, I would love to try some on the quilt I made my sister.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 930
Kari replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 6:22 PM

Sheila:

Kari:

Kari - we could start sending secret messages to each other!! How cool! (pun intended).

LOL, too funny.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 40
Points 930
Kari replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 6:24 PM

Robin:

So Kari doesnt that mean  the ink does not really disapear? What abt washing in cold water? That is what I wash all my quilts in.

Im not sure, these are new to me and were shown to me my my LQS owner.  I read the back which is the only reason I knew about the temp change reappearing the ink.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Kari - hopefully none of us will be using our quilts in 0 temps and having the markings reappear.  :o) 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625

My husband already thinks my load has slipped a little for cutting up fabric so I can sew it back togeather, when he sees me writing on fabric and putting it in the freezer, he may walk around me in really big circles!!  That my project for tonight, write, press, freeze. 

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:44 PM

I also use the quilters pen but I think the erasible marker will work just as good.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 371
Points 6,495
Arzella replied on Tue, Dec 6 2011 9:47 PM

Vivian, I never heard of freezing.  Are you freezing the fabric.  Sounds very interesting.  Tell me what does this do?

Page 6 of 8 (118 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use