rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 21 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy posted on Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:24 AM

Hello my little quilting buddies,

I am here at work during a quiet moment, and thought of this question while pondering my next quilting project. (I know I should be doing real work, but like I said, it's a quiet morning.) My question is, how much does it actually run to have a single size quilt sent to a Longarm quilter? I know that it depends on a lot of things, but to only have it quilted without binding or any special anything, what am I looking at? Just average quilting with no fancy stuff.  I am trying to get an idea of what it would run verses my own attempts to quilt on my humble little Singer.

Thanks for all the great support here,

Kathy

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,530 Posts
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:36 AM

My long armer charges 1 1/2 cents per square inch for an all over design.  That's if you provide backing and batting and you do your own binding.  She's very good and she's done several for me. 

Ok here's the calculation.....60" x 80" quilt top = 4800 square inches x .015 = 72.00   plus any taxes if they apply.  If you want  specialized quilting it's more per square inch.  This is just a sample but each quilter charges differently.  It's better to check with your LQS and see who they recommend or get price listings from different long arm quilters.  They will be glad to give you a price list.

Diana in East tn.    

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

Kathy,

I have never had a single (twin?) size quilt done but I have a wallhanging, approx. 40" square at the quilter now and she quoted me around $48.  It's a Lone Star.  Hope that helps some.

I also have some brochures I could look up and get back with you.  They are from other LAQ's in my area and they give general pricing.  I'll find them and let you know.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

What's up with my previous post taking up so much space?  

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
622 Posts
Points 10,640
abcd replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:45 AM

GREMLINS did it!  Because it's Halloween, that's why ~   :D

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:00 AM

Those prices don't sound too terrible. I saw prices quoted of .015 per inch and wasn't sure if there would be something else added that I might not take into account. I had the grandkids over yesterday and they saw me working on the baby quilt and began putting in their own orders. One requested a military style camo quilt. Hmmmm, we'll see. I haven't seen any quilts with camouflage. My son-in-law is a marine, so I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Of course,everybody wants theirs to be next. So after the experience of quilting the baby quilt, and seeing how interesting it is trying to fit it on my machine, I'm thinking that I may need to send some quilts out to have them quilted and that way, I can get several done in the near future. I hope. But all of the quilts would be singles, for the sake of expediency, family harmony, and my own sanity.  Thanks for the replies.

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,595 Posts
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:24 AM

I've got 3 grandsons so I've made all sorts of quilts....train quits, tractor quilts, dragon quilts, spiderman quilts, and camo quilts.  My youngest grandson, who is 6, wants a new quilt every Christmas and each time I am making a quilt, he wants to know if it is for him.   He's not picky, he'll take the pink one, the one with flowers, he doesn't care, just as long as it is a quilt that Grandma made. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,649 Posts
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:25 AM

Kathy,  the longarm quilter I use charges $40 for a single quilt.   You supply the batting and the backing.    Ginny

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:44 AM

No kidding? Wow, that sounds very reasonable. I'll have to get to work on my next quilt. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,117 Posts
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 10:15 AM

Kathy,

I would call a couple of the quilt shops in your area and obtain LAQ information on your twin quilt. My area runs from 1/2 a penny to a penny.  My longarmer here used to charge a flat $25.00 for any size quilt until I talked her in to raising her prices. Now she charges 1/2 with no charge under $25.00. This is for quilting only. As you can see in Diana's area it's 1 1/2. You have a range to go by now but checking around your area won't hurt.  You also want to know the requirements of that LAQ before taking her your quilt. For example, square your backing, pressing, having the backing and batting larger than the top, etc.  Although I now have a longarm it was always worth it to me to send mine out to be quilted. I could never master the sewing machine quilting. But there are very talented people who just have the sewing machine nack, I wasn't one of them. :-)

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 10:59 AM

Kathy, I found the brochure and these are the prices:

Crib (2700 sq. in.) Minimum $35, Custom $40 minimum

Twin (6480 sq. in.) Minimum $78, Custom $97 minimum

Double (7776 sq. in.) Minimum $93, Custom $116 minimum

Queen (9720 sq. in.) Minimum $117, Custom $146 minimum

King (14400 sq. in) Minimum $173, Custom $216 minimum

Hope this helps give you a range.  Of course, it probably depends on going rates in your area.  I live in West Michigan.  Also, the price doesn't include batting.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:55 AM

25 would be great. Don't know if I could match those prices in Central Illinois. I plan to stop in at the LQS again to pick up some thread. I'll ask for some names then. Thanks for the reply.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:57 AM

Thanks Sheri,

Maybe I can teach the gkids to quilt stitch their own quilt. LOL I can see where it would add up. But to get a quilt nicely quilted would be so nice. Thanks for the reply.

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Mon, Oct 31 2011 1:23 PM

I know that the stores charge more than an individual from what I experienced by asking around for prices. There is an Lqs that does it here and charges I think they said 85-95 for a double just for the basic stitching nothing fancy. I can't remember what they said that basic looks like maybe they didnt even say lol.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

A friend paid 800.00 for 5  (big) lap quilts, all over, computer driven, nice but not blow away nice.  Wide varienty of prices out there. 

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use