which Brand of thread is the best?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 72 Replies | 22 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,385
Kathy posted on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for anyone with an opinion. Should cover everybody. I have been reading about buying the best that you can afford in fabric, machines, and...........thread. So...which brand of thread is the best. From what I understand, egyptian cotton thread is the best kind of thread due to the long staples and that it will hold up better. But I am scratching my head when I go to the different stores and look at all the quilting sites and try to figure out which brand to buy. Any thought on this folks?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 305

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 40
Renee replied on Fri, Aug 26 2016 3:20 PM

The two brands I use are Gutermann and Essential Quilting.  I used Essential for piecing and sewing and Gutermann for hand-quilting.  You can get Gutermann at Joann Fabrics as well as pretty much any quilting shop.  Essential Quilting thread I've only been able to find online.  My mother gave me a HUGE tin full of them, but I haven't been able to find the brand at any store within 100 miles of my location.  My mother uses both brands, and has been for about 20 years now.  I highly recommend both.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
496 Posts
Points 7,700
Mz M replied on Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:14 PM

I think it depends on what your machine likes. Mine only likes Gutterman. I use it for hand sewing as well.  I have tried other threads in the machine but the stitches aren't as nice and when JoAnns has a 50% off coupon, if I don't need anything else, I will buy thread.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 20

Speaking of thread..... Is there anywhere I can go to find out about thread weights?  What does 30wt. mean? I know here are other numbers as well.  How do I find these numbers when I am shopping for thread?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,331 Posts
Points 22,395

Luann,

SuperiorThreads.com is an excellent source for thread information. 

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/understanding-thread-weight-system

That's just their info on weight. If you go to their site and click on Education Articles at the top of the page, you'll find so much more there.

I use only Superior Threads in my domestic machines and my longarm. I love all of their products.

Oh... and welcome to QCA!

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 20

Your comments were very helpful.  I have been sewing since I was about 12 and embroidering for about13 years.    However, I am a beginner quilter.  I am going to try Aurifil.  I hope it will help.

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 20

Your comments were very helpful.  I have been sewing since I was about 12 and embroidering for about 13 years.    However, I am a beginner quilter.  I am going to try Aurifil.  I hope it will help.

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 20

Your comments were very helpful.  I have been sewing since I was about 13 and embroidering for about 13 years.  I also have Bernina machines.  However I am a beginner quilter.  I am going to try Aurifil.  I hope it will help my quilting.  

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 15
carol44 replied on Tue, Dec 27 2016 10:51 PM

What brand machine are you using? I tried to find a thread cap for a Gammill but haven't found one.

Your information is so valuable. Thank you.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Hello, thanks a lot for the brief yet useful introduction! I know that your head might be filled with a lot of things, but if you feel stressed, it is better to address to our special blog and find one of my favorite articles: http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/tips-for-students-how-to-beat-stress

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5

Your comments were very helpful, thanks :)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,117 Posts
Points 14,220
Carey replied on Thu, Feb 2 2017 8:32 PM

I prefer aurifil thread cotton for all my quilting and yes I will go out of the way to order it online from other places or go to my specialty quilting store to buy it :) It just seems to work better in my machine as I only have a europro machine or whatever it is called.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10
Kwong661 replied on Thu, Feb 16 2017 12:27 PM

King Tut is beautiful but shreds and breaks horribly!  Hope this helps!

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 10
Kwong661 replied on Thu, Feb 16 2017 12:29 PM

Aurifil is great.  Isacord is made by Bernina.  I love both!

Page 5 of 5 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.