which Brand of thread is the best?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 63 Replies | 17 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
43 Posts
Points 1,340
Kathy posted on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have a question for anyone with an opinion. Should cover everybody. I have been reading about buying the best that you can afford in fabric, machines, and...........thread. So...which brand of thread is the best. From what I understand, egyptian cotton thread is the best kind of thread due to the long staples and that it will hold up better. But I am scratching my head when I go to the different stores and look at all the quilting sites and try to figure out which brand to buy. Any thought on this folks?

Thanks,

Kathy

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 260

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,060 Posts
Points 170,737
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 10:57 AM

I learned about Glide in the "Longarmers Share" discussion thread, Barbara.  They make a Glide magna-bobbin, too, which I'm really liking on my HQ.  I now have LOTS of colors of this.  Not sure if I would use Glide for piecing though.  I really like Aurifil for that because it goes so far.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,343 Posts
Points 254,929

thanks Nancy, I to like to use Aurifil for peicing but I wanted to try it out and see how I liked it . I'm working on a small WCQ at this time and it is working great for this .  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 86,340

Barbara:

thanks Nancy, I to like to use Aurifil for peicing but I wanted to try it out and see how I liked it . I'm working on a small WCQ at this time and it is working great for this .  Barbara

And, if any of you have not seen this feast for the eyes that Barbara is creating, you MUST take a look. It is amazing.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 8:02 AM

HI!  LOVE THIS THREAD, LOTS OF GOOD INFO.

I use CT Essentials for piecing on my Brother XR65 (purchased from WalMart in 2003) and on my Baby Lock Ellegante for piecing and plain sewing.  I use the large cones and a cone thread holder on the Brother and the Baby Lock.  The Ellegante has her own cone holder which work marvelously.  I have found the cone holder works great with my Featherweight also, in fact when using large cones you MUST use a cone holder.

To date for Embroidery on my Ellegante I use Mettler Silk  and Florian Embroidery Thread.   I purchase cones when possible. I always use my cap when using horizontal spike on my machines.  I have purchased the pre-wound bobbins to use for all machines. 

Did I read here that they have pre-wound bobbins with special thread for quilting and embroidery??

My dream is for a Sara Cone Flower Thread holder or a Butterfly one, they are items #1 on my new wish list.  .  Someday!   

I believe I have Essentials on my Janome serger, love the serger, will start piecing with it, love how the strips turned out on a show & tell at AST .

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
796 Posts
Points 12,845

I found this by accident.  Ebay.  Salus or Ameth thread prices are just awesome.  Cheap but every bit the qualify of the designer labels.  I bought one of each and would be hard pressed to pick one.  They both work just great for piecing and the little bit of stitch in the ditch that I have done.  For the price, you might try one.  Big 5000 meter cones.  I think they come direct from the supplier. 

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 120

Thank you so much, I`ve been having problems with my machine but then little did I know, I was doing many things incorrectly. Never knew that the spool shouldn`t be spinning, I was always using the upright spool to sew and until I started working with cotton thread, didn`t cause much of a problem. The cotton thread on the other hand, kept on breaking even if my tension was at my loosest and it was skipping stitches. So I changed my needle to a brand new one, and that helped as long as I went at the right speed. This machine was just a regular sewing machine, probably not meant for quilting...lol. I also kept the feed dog up as it gave me a bit more control but might have played with the tension a bit. 

Anyway, your post was very informative, as I plan to quilt a lot more, I will experiment with various threads. 

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
Suggested by hhhdmh

Jo, have you heard of thread called Embroiderex?  It is or machine embroidery.  I have a spool but can't seem to locate a source for more thread.  judy

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 105

My Mom use Coats & Clark thread which is regular cotton thread. I believe that it's not the thread but how well you've made your project. 

With the projects I've made in the past I've just use regular cotton thread same as my mom and this was used for stuffed animals, clothing, toaster covers, purses, bags etc. I've even fixed jeans for a child who is really ruff on clothes and had no trouble with them coming apart again.

It's just a matter of preference.   

Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 4,395

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=embroidex+thread

God Bless

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20
icthus replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:43 PM

Almost five years later...I really like Connecting Threads because of their once-a-year 30% off sale and I like to have every color for whatever occasion comes up. However, it was touch and go with my Viking Sapphire, so when the machine went in for a routine checkup, I had the technician adjust the internal settings so "accept" the 50 wt 3 ply Essential Cotton Thread. And from then on, it was smooth sailing. It also works great with my Juki TL2010Q. But right now I'm just a home quilter so that also factors in to the equation. These posts are so helpful. Lots of thanks to Quilters Club of America.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,235 Posts
Points 141,305

icthus:
I really like Connecting Threads because of their once-a-year 30% off sale and I like to have every color for whatever occasion comes up. However, it was touch and go with my Viking Sapphire, so when the machine went in for a routine checkup, I had the technician adjust the internal settings so "accept" the 50 wt 3 ply Essential Cotton Thread. And from then on, it was smooth sailing

My Viking Sapphire hated the the Connecting Threads thread. I had purchased a ton of it during their sale a few years ago. Then after struggling with it, I finally sold it all. Now I use either Gutterman or Aurifil on my Viking and on my Featherweight. They seem to be much happier.  

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,353 Posts
Points 17,040

I too like Aurifil thread for piecing and quilting.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,990 Posts
Points 55,130
Ginny replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:06 PM

I too like aurifil threads.With them I don't get as much lint that covers my bobbin empty sensor.  I also have used superior threads with much success.  

I had to give away my collection of Connecting Threads threads as they were too linty for my machine. But I gave them to a 90 y/o lady who does charity quilting and she can use them on her Singer.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
7,235 Posts
Points 141,305

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like the Connecting Threads brand. Some folks really swear by them, so perhaps it depends on the machines.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,990 Posts
Points 55,130
Ginny replied on Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:25 PM

I think that it does, Judy  My older pfaff diddn't have any problem with it.   Ginny

Page 4 of 5 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.