Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 31
Points 400
BelleSooty Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 2:42 PM

AFTER WASHING AND IRONING ALL THAT BEAUTIFUL FABRIC WHAT TO DO? I DON'T LIKE FOLDING AND STACKING BECAUSE OF WRINKLES AND LOST FABRIC, I KNOW I PUT IT IN HERE SOMEWHERE!, AND HAVING A MOUTAIN COME DOWN ON TOP OF ME. WHEN I AM AT THE QUILT SHOP I ASK FOR THE EMPTY BOLTS. AFTER I FINISH PRESSING I SIMPLY REWIND IT BACK ONTO A CARDBOARD BOLT. I WAS HAVING TROUBLE AT FIRST GETTING THE BOLT STARTED, FABRIC KEPT SLIDING AROUND. I GLANCED AT MY QUILT BOARD AND SAW THE LIGHT! I GRABBED A SCRAP OF WHITE FLANNEL AND LIGHTLY GLUED IT TO THE BOLT. AFTER THE GLUE DRIED, I WHIPPED THE FABRIC ON LIKE NOBODIES BUSINESS. IT STAYED IN PLACE AND DID NOT SLIDE DOWN WHILE SITTING ON MY SHELVES.  OH YEAH, MY HUSBAND CAME UP WITH THE IDEA OF USING SHELF BRACKETS AND ONE X EIGHT BOARDS SPACED THE HEIGHT OF THE BOLTS APART FOR MY SHELVES. NOW I CAN SEE ALL OF MY FABRICS AT A GLANCE, AND UNCONCIOUSLY, AND CONCIOUSLY PICK OUT COLORS AND PATTERNS FOR FUTURE PROJECTS.          

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 765
Pat replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:25 AM

Great minds think alike.  My problem was the shelfs that I wanted to use were to short.  So my husband cut the cardboard in half.  I folded my fabric to match the size and the problem was solved.

Pat

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:43 AM

I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever accumulate large pcs of fabric. Right now I don't have anywhere near large enough pieces to be able to use the empty bolt holders. Oh well. Another tip for the list!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 55

My DH helped me create a sewing room in a small spare bedroom. Cuting table, iron board, sewing machine table all take up space.  We made good use of a free-standing bookshelf with adjustable shelfs; made the height of shelfs to accomodate bolts. Good for big hunks of fabric, stabilizer, etc. But, I use another shelving system (purchased from Costco) for small fabrics and fat quarters, using the clear storage boxes (purchase anywhere, but I get mine at the dollar store). The plastic boxes act as drawers in the shelving, and you can see through them; a big help. Also, as far as organizing fabrics, I use a 7-step color value system; light-lights being #1,  and dark-darks being #7. I label the plastic boxes with the appropriate number.  For all the quilting and art quilting I do, it's an easy system to find whatever I need in a hurry. As far as pressing wrinkled fabrics.... oh well !  It's part of the joy of working with fabric. The tactile joy, smell of the heat touching the fabric, and facial from the steam.... all can be part of the fun.  enjoy the moment !   Dear BelleSooty, I LOVE your idea about the flannel strip glued to the bold. What a brilliant idea !!  :)

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Sat, Dec 17 2011 7:08 AM

When storing fabric  yardage,  I use the plastic  pant hangers that you  get when you purchase skirts, pants, etc.  I use them to hang fabric from, and I hang it in the closet......works pretty well LOL.

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use