Top 10 Posters

Twister Quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 25 Replies | 9 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 100
gma25 posted on Sun, Oct 23 2011 1:48 PM

I just ordered a "Twister" template.   Has anyone used this?   If so, what size quilt would one  layer cake package make?   Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,195 Posts
Points 24,070

I was lucky my LQS has alll sizes.  Ebay has them if you buy from there

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,530 Posts
Points 46,505

KATHY :

thanks.  also wondering if someone at the quilt show in houston might have them....

I hope so, it's on my shopping list!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

Debbie-Do

My list  keeps growing LOL.....hope i can get everything before the money runs out ROFL!

happy quilting!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 100 Contributor
Female
843 Posts
Points 18,920
Cindy replied on Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:54 AM

I agree, Kathy.  I bought a tool and some 5 inch squares to give this a try.  I need to clean off my project desk first. 

Cindy

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 175

Hi Judy.

It is not necessary to use the tool, but it is easier.  You can make the blocks by cutting them consistently at the same angle. EQ has a pattern you can print out. I traced mine onto freezer paper, ironed the paper onto my blocks, and then cut.

I'm in my 60's and I'm trying to keep my notion purchases down! :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,119 Posts
Points 110,645

Liz Cerri:

It is not necessary to use the tool, but it is easier.  You can make the blocks by cutting them consistently at the same angle. EQ has a pattern you can print out. I traced mine onto freezer paper, ironed the paper onto my blocks, and then cut.

I'm in my 60's and I'm trying to keep my notion purchases down! :)

I know what you mean about keeping your purchases down and I try, I really do try but I did buy the Twister. I haven't used it yet. Other projects keep catching my eye. Maybe it's something I'll bring to one of the retreats to work with.

I turned 70 this year and at the rate I'm going I'll be working until I'm 100 just to pay for my quilting habit. Can you picture that? Tottering to retreats, no teeth, bad eyesight, can't hear and crabby but, by gum, I'm gonna quilt!!  ROFLOL

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Sukochi - the itty bitty one makes itty bitty quilts.  :o)  Karin Smith at our shop made one.  I would call it doll size.  There is a third pattern book out now, too.  I got a Christmas tree pattern using the tool when I was up in VA. at Patchwork Plus.  The pattern is for one size but they did one with all three rulers for display in the shop. I thought Dave had downloaded the pictures I took in the shop to the computer but i can't find them to show you.  :o(

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,933 Posts
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:00 PM

Last year when I was at the Walnut Place Retreat a couple of the quilt shops had the Twister tools and books and examples made up - I bought them and when I got home played and played.  I have made about 4 twister quilts from layer cakes - I don't normally buy layer cakes but had some from my trip to Quilting in Chicago from our gifts... A layer cake makes a twin/full size twister quilt... and if you are careful - you take those pieces that you cut away and can make charm squares from them and make placemats... then if you are careful again - you can take those left over squares and make your own template as they don't make a 2" template but it isn't hard - you use that one and make coasters for your water glasses at the table to go with your place mats to go with your quilt.  it is tons of fun and very addicting.  

I saw a pattern on here that someone used to make a Halloween pumpkin quilt and numerous ideas arose in my head of other things we could now do with it.  So have fun!  Twister templates are sold at Keepsake / Nancy's Notions, Connecting Threads and most of the LQS's.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,821 Posts
Points 85,145

Thea:
saw a pattern on here that someone used to make a Halloween pumpkin quilt

Look up the gallery of Ira Johnson. She made a wall hanging with the twister last year that says BOO!. So cute. I at one time made a wreath and a quilt, too. Want to get to that again but have been busy. She might be on here as Ira Jane Johnson.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
12,933 Posts
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Sun, Oct 14 2012 8:14 PM

Sukochi, I would love to look up all those patterns - but for the moment I am going to just stay with making these new stack and whack quilts that I have come across - last year was my year for Twister.  When I need something mindless and quick again I'll make a few more as they go together so simply and easily.  I need something difficult at the moment to take my mind anywhere but here.  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,305 Posts
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Wed, Dec 12 2012 4:13 PM

Actually, I learned to make them using 5" squares then cutting them to make the pinwheels.  the instructor brought us the homemade ruler as part of the class.  It requires great attention to detail that you put them back together right but is really simple and loads of fun to do.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use