Top 10 Posters

Help...I can't sew straight

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430
KathyColorado posted on Sat, Oct 22 2011 1:30 PM

I have a row of flying geese sewn together and now I'm trying to sew it to a single strip.  When I get to the seams (5 layers of fabric) my stitch gets smaller and I can't get a straight seam.   While sewing on the side with all the seams does work the best, it's still not good.  Any help would be sooooo appreciated. 

Kathy

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,483 Posts
Points 176,818
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 1:40 PM

That happens to me once in awhile and I found that if I slowed down before going over those seams helped a lot.  Hope this helps.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 1:50 PM

I sometimes slow down at them like suggested lift the foot up and back stitch after i do a few stitches after it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,227 Posts
Points 24,865

I have had this problem tons of time.  If your machine allows you to change the tension on your presser foot lighten the pressure and it will help.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

Sometimes I find if I put a little pressure on the fabric (I generaly let it flow with no manual tension just light guidance) when it goes over a thicker spot,  it keeps it on the straight and narrow.  my machine has a tendancy to dog track and I have never bothered to have it checked, mostly because I forget when I have it in for service.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,429 Posts
Points 416,079
gini replied on Sat, Oct 22 2011 4:40 PM

my machine has a gadget that you put behind/under the back of  the foot that raises the entire foot just a little so it goes over those thick seams straight on and not at an angle.  it's like a big plastic fork with two enormous tines

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Thank you all for your help!  It's looking better now. 

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

gini:

my machine has a gadget that you put behind/under the back of  the foot that raises the entire foot just a little so it goes over those thick seams straight on and not at an angle.  it's like a big plastic fork with two enormous tines

I think I have one on my Janome but I didn't know what it was for or how to use it. My book calls it a dual feed pressure foot, I think.   I guess I need to check into it.  Thanks gini.

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,024 Posts
Points 16,170

Hi 1grshopper,

I have found that if I stop about an inch away from the junction of all those seams, needle down and lift my presser foot and add a piece of folded fabric equal to what I want to stitch over, My machine will stitch smoothly over it.  I hope that made sense, if you need me to rephrase please post again!

Judylee

• Filed under:
Top 500 Contributor
92 Posts
Points 2,430

Judy Lee:

Hi 1grshopper,

I have found that if I stop about an inch away from the junction of all those seams, needle down and lift my presser foot and add a piece of folded fabric equal to what I want to stitch over, My machine will stitch smoothly over it.  I hope that made sense, if you need me to rephrase please post again!

Judylee

I'll have to give this a try.  It sounds like it will work.  Thanks Judylee!

Kathy

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820

gini:

The only thing I've ever heard that called was a "hump jumper."  I have used that a lot and it works really well, actually. As the fabric feeds through, it pushes the jumper out from under the foot so don't forget to catch it!  ;-)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,091 Posts
Points 29,520
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 23 2011 6:01 PM

1gr8shopper,

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/jean-a-ma-jig+1+pkg.do

This is what I've used but I have only used it for jeans. Have you considered pressing your seams open to reduce the bulk since your machine doesn't seem to like them. I do that on a lot of projects when bulk seams are involved.

By the way...I absolutely LOVE your fabric choices.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use