When quilting a large quilt on my DSM

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
purplemem Posted: Tue, Oct 18 2011 1:31 PM

I have a small Brother machine and a limited space.  I now plan all my quilts in thirds or 6ths.

When I make my quilt top I do not assemble the whole quilt, instead I keep it in thirds or sixths.  I cut the backing one inch larger all the way around, unless it is the final edge.  I cut the batting the same as the top.  I baste and then quilt on my DSM.  After I have quilted all 3 or 6 pieces, I assemble by sewing the top just as a normal quilt with the 1/4 inch seams.  On the back, I fold over the one inch piece to make a 1/2 inch overlap. I either handstitch with a whipstitch or a blind stitch this leftover edge or I sew with a serpentine stitch.  I finish my borders the same way.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 1:55 PM

I'm trying this method for the first time and it was encouraging to hear of someone doing it this way.  Is there a reason to do it in thirds or sixths?  Do you somehow stitch the batting together where the pieces come together?  What is a serpentine stitch and is that using your machine?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 1:58 PM

Monica - they have a whole group here dedicated to Quilt as you Go!  You will probably find tons of help there.  I do the whole quilt at the same time on my DSM so am no help to you - but there are a lots of books out there - Cotton Theory is one and Marti Michell has another that I can think of off the top of my head.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 1:59 PM

Monica

I will sometimes do my top in thirds but cut my backing to the size needed for the completed top.  I start quilting with the middle section of my quilt top and cut the batting a couple of inches larger than the top section.  The backing doesn't take up much room when it hasn't been sandwiched with the top and backing.  You don't have to do any additional seams on the backing this way.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 2:48 PM

Althea-  Is the Quilt as you Go group part of QCA?  I can't seem to find it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 2:57 PM

Monica - I just looked for it and can't find it either - I know they were setting one up when we were doing the first and so far only BOM on QCA - If you go into that group you might find threads that talked about it... I will continue to look for you - there were quite a few women talking about it all the time within our BOM group and I could have swore that they did set up a group but maybe it was just in that group...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,324
Points 249,687
Thea replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 2:58 PM

Here is the link to Quilt as you Go within the BOM group...

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/groups/bom_workshop_jodies_sampler/forum/t/5571.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,805
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 18 2011 3:58 PM

Thea

I don't think there is a separate group.  There were just discussions in the BOM group and I think a few discussions in general forums.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 155
Points 1,515
Monica replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 4:47 PM

Thea-

Thank you so much for finding that link.  I read the whole thing and I feel a lot more confident about doing my quilt in sections.  I am amazed by the time Vicki put in to explain the QAYG method.  She did such a good job.

Monica

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,872
Points 181,818
Marie replied on Wed, Oct 19 2011 5:04 PM

Monica, yes Vickie did but sadly she's not a part of QCA any longer.  I've tried getting in touch with her through friends with no response.  Hope she's doing alright.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2016 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.