Top 10 Posters

Southeast quilting retreat

Page 45 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 976 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 12:39 PM

Everything seems to be coming together really well.  I did 5th quarter at church last night....finally got home and in bed at 1:30am and back up and at church by 8:30 this morning for Operation Reach Out.   We do special projects at two of our low income apartments for the kids,  do yard work for those in our community that are unable to do it for themselves ,  as well as do collections of food, bath supplies, and pet food to give to a charity that provides for the needy.   Just got home and now I am going to crash.    Maybe I will "see" you guys later.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 12:43 PM

Sounds like great work you do, Nana, for some great causes.  Our community has one of the highest unemployment rates in the country, hovering somewhere around 20%.  I'm sure I can find some good cause to support, too.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 5:31 PM

I agree with Barbara a nice coastal seafood meal at a nice restaurant.  I haven't cooked since my DH passed, don't think I remember how.  LOL  Will help out with whatever is needed to be done but quick and easy is good with me.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 5:33 PM

Leslie :
I will do the 20 just for some great seafood lol

I agree Leslie.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 6:13 PM

I'm bad with names also, that why i will just make up new ones for everyone lol

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:43 PM

Barbara:
At my age and health ,It maybe my last chance to do these things , Part of my bucket list .   LOL.. Barbara

Barbara

You are talking my language.  That's what a friend and I were talking about last night if I didn't go on this trip I would regret it the rest of my life. I will give up a lot of fabric to make this trip! I got a lot of stash I can use. LOL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 8:49 PM

Well, food committee, does it seem like we are getting a lot of mixed messages?  Some don't want to bother with cooking, but others don't want to spend money to eat out.  Should we compromise and come up with easy meal plans for 3 of the six nights (for teams of 8 to cook, serve, and clean up)  and let everyone fend for themselves the other 3 nights?  We can certainly buy lots of easy prep foods like some nice sandwich meat and frozen pizzas for the no-cook nights.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 4,940
Sue replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:00 PM

Hi Nana, I would be happy to make pizza for every one one night we use to do it all the time at home 6or7 would that be enough and wings with that?

Sue D Ohio 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:38 PM

I really don't care what anyone decides to fix for meals.  I am not a big eater and tend to just munch thru the day.   I do want to go out for at least one nice seafood meal.   To me it is a must do when I go to the beach. We probably want to plan something super quick and easy for the first night because everyone is going to be tired and won't want to do a big meal prep.    Other than that it is fine with me to do what ever you guys want.

I doubt that any of us is going to want to do alot of cooking or clean up.  Tex Mex one night would be great and is generally a fairly easy meal to prepare.   Hamburgers / Hot dogs on the grill would be an easy meal for one night.  I truly think the simpler we can get the better.   If everyone likes the frozen lasagna that would be easy for one night.....and essentially no clean up.   I am willing to put together a big pan of mac and cheese for one night.  

I do plan on buying most of my meal donations after I get there.   So much easier than trying to pack a cooler and packing it.   Maybe what we should do is make a "menu" of sorts for the week and then we can decide what everyone needs to get.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 9:56 PM

Nana

Great ideas, we will take your suggestions and run with them.  I will get with Nancy and Gini and we will come up with a proposal for everyone to look at for EASY menus that everyone has suggested they like and "room" for a seafood dinner out for those that wish to partake, count me in on that one!

Many thanks for your input -- N ow you go rest. You have done too much already.  The food committee will put this together for everyone's input and blessing!

Many thanks

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:23 PM

Do any of you use a GO cutting system? I just bought one today, played with it alittle and seems it will work for me as I have trouble with tremors in hands and do not seem to see straight. I could have gotten Studio version for $100 more but it takes up an entire 4 ft table and it is very heavy. Would have been a better deal but did not have space where I want it to be.

I will know later this week but I may have to back out on you guys. Of course we have one on waiting list. My doctor does not think I should come and he brought good reasons but it is also something on my bucket list. Mainly I get panic attacks and I would be so embarrassed if I did while on retreat. I know you all are very nice but new situations is the biggest trigger for me and this will certainly be new situation with all new people, far from home and family for an entire week. I am wondering if I would be better to start with a shorter retreat if they even exist. I take meds for my issues and may never even have anything..but since I do not know any of you except for this thread, I feel funny. So I have written 3 times and then deleted before I sent it to cancel with Nana... but then tonight I thought maybe I should just be open and put it out there.

One issue may be feeling trapped at the rental house being I was planning on riding with Diana.. and I could never drive that far by myself now anyhow. I can help with food and all that real well. I am new with quilting but I do not suspect that would matter to others. When nervous I get shy and quiet, once I am comfortable, some probably wish I would shut up

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 374
Points 9,355
Nan replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:33 PM

Ran out of room.. anyhow please be honest and you will not hurt my feelings, I swear.

I have a yummy family recipe for sloppy joes (some like it on hotdogs). I can make it for how ever many as recipe increases easily. Good for lunch or dinner and ready in less than 30 mins

Another idea might be to bring a few slow cookers and maybe put in a beef stew or similar and let it cook while we sew. Only the prep time in am, and to save time we could buy vegetables already chopped! .

And if I come and anyone would like me to bring my Go, I will. A quilt store I frequent showed me theirs so I could get the idea. It is portable and I could manage it okay.

Nan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,771
Points 50,500
mars92 replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:48 PM

Nan

I can't speak for you of course.  But I have a very dear best friend that has some of the same issues also so I do understand.  I have only been on this board for over a year now, and have one met one of the members personally, Gini.  And she's an angel.  Now, I feel like I know everyone- except a lot of  the newbies becuz I have been MIA becuz I have been sick for a few months. What I am trying to say is no one will make you feel awkward or belittle you here ever.  You will NEVER have to worry about that .  In my lifetime, I can honestly say I have NEVER met a nicer group of people- there are none in the world IMHO.  This group will laugh, cry, and share with you.  Trust me, there are NONE better.  I have my own health issues and if I didn't think they would help me if I needed if I wouldn't come.  They are all my sisters, and This is  on my bucket list, I love each and every one of them.  They are all angels.  If you want an experience of your lifetime, you will have it.  This board has meant the world to me.

I will friend you.  Think about it.  Do what you think is best for you.

I will pray that things go well for you!

Hugs

Marlene

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 10:50 PM

Nan

I hope you decide that you can still come.  I really think that you will have a great time.  Anytime that you sta rt to feel overwhelmed you could take a nice calming walk on the beach.   That always relaxes me.  I find the ocean very calming.

When I went to WA for retreat I was also unsure of going so far by myself and meeting people I had never really met before.  I was concerned over flying by myself and found it to be a piece of cake.  I felt like I had known all the ladies all my life.  It was like meeting up with old friends and catching up on the news.  I had the best time of my life and am so glad that I decided to go.....even if it was a trip all the way across the country.

No one will mind that you are a new quilter.  Everyone is so helpful and is always willing to help new quilters with tips and techniques.  I know that I learned lots of neat things from all the ladies in WA and I have been quilting for several years.

I love sloppy joes but I am lazy and just use a can of sloppy joe mix....LOL>   I know that we would love for you to cook anything that you like.  Most of us are easy to please.

Try not to worry so much and I hope that you will decide that this is something that you can do.   And don't worry that if you have a panic attack that anyone will feel differently toward you.   We all have problems and most of us have health issue problems and can understand.  I too have panic attacks but thankfully they are rare these days.

Also don't think that you are far away from family at the retreat.  We are your family as well.  We are all sisters in quilting and do really care about each other.

Hugs

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 29 2011 11:13 PM

Nan, my oldest daughter has panic attacks I can read her face pretty good when one is starting. So you have no worries with me. I will just do something to Marie if you feel one staring to distract everyone LOL

[Ava, Missouri

Page 45 of 66 (977 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use