Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 27 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005
Debra Moore Posted: Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:58 PM

I can't believe I did it...  After using my old manual Janome Harmony for the last 8 years ( I knew nothing when I bought it, except it was cheap and I could put it on my Sears card) I've been itchin' to get a new tool/toy.  Mind you, I don't actually "need" one, this one is quite the workhorse.  But I really want to try my hand at machine quilting (all my quilts have been hand quilted) so I thought this might be as good a time as any.  I received some great help from all you wonderful QCA'ers and spent a lot of time online looking and comparing.  Today was the day,, I drove into Sacramento (about 30 miles) to Meissners Sewing Center.  Spent about 2 hours droolng over the  3000 - 4000 machines and reminding myself that I am still a fiscal conservative and should not let myself be too distracted by all the "shiny objects".

I bought a BabyLock Elizabeth with a quilting extension table, more feet than I could ever need including the 3 important ones, several extra sets of needles, and a travel tote and was out the door for 1100.00.   Got a fantastic warranty, and Meissners is throwing in 3 of its Sewing Mastery Classes for free.  But  did I stop there, noooooo.... I hit up Joanns (they were having a sale, of course) and bought a new Rowenta iron and then stopped at Pennys and bought a few Liz Claiborne pieces.  Which, in my defense, I really do need as I have lost 35 lbs in the last 7 months and need some new clothes.  Just a few, as I still want to lose another 30.

What a day..... I'm exhausted.  And to make the day perfect, I just finished the first weekly Skype  "Princess Bedtime Story Hour" with my granddaughters in PA.  So much fun, we all wore our princess crowns.

Since it's still light here in Cali, I'm going to take the dogs out and then .... GET MY BABY SET UP!!

Thanks for all the great advice you've all given, it really has helped!

"Dances with Border Collies in Davis"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 130
Points 1,560
Debby replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:08 PM

Congrats on the new machine and the new quilting goodies!

Enjoy!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:17 PM

Congrads on the new baby, Now you gotta name her ,, Mine is called Mimi and she is aJanome 6600 ,She is such a good girl..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:18 PM

Yeaqh Debra, have a blast with youyr new machines

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,379
Points 48,850
Ginny replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:22 PM

Congrats on the new machine.  I know how excited you must be about your new "baby".  I got a new Babylock Symphony a couple of weeks ago when I went to the sewing expo here in Novi, Mi.  I got a great 1/2 price deal on mine as it was used in the sewing center there.  I love it.

Your idea Of weekly Skype stories with you 2 grand daughters is wonderful. I know you will cherish it and they will always remember it.

Good luck with your new baby.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,054
Points 170,018
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:23 PM

Debra you should be exhausted!  Congrats on your new Baby and all the goodies that came with it.  A Joanne's trip was certainly in order, need stuff to go with the new Baby.  Congrats on your 35 lb. loss, that's fantastic and you certainly deserved those Liz Claiborne pieces.  WTG!  

Your granddaughters must've been thrilled with their bedtime story read by Gram on Skype, how fun crowns and all.

Happy sewing and wearing your smaller sized LC clothes.

Millbury, MA

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 434
Points 6,955
Mz M replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 9:29 PM

Debra Moore:

I bought a BabyLock Elizabeth with a quilting extension table, more feet than I could ever need including the 3 important ones, several extra sets of needles, and a travel tote and was out the door for 1100.00.   Got a fantastic warranty, and Meissners is throwing in 3 of its Sewing Mastery Classes for free.  But  did I stop there, noooooo.... I hit up Joanns (they were having a sale, of course) and bought a new Rowenta iron and then stopped at Pennys and bought a few Liz Claiborne pieces.  Which, in my defense, I really do need as I have lost 35 lbs in the last 7 months and need some new clothes.  Just a few, as I still want to lose another 30.

"Dances with Border Collies in Davis"

CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I have several BabyLocks and love them so I have no doubt you will love yours also! Sounds like you have had quite the day and losing 35 lbs is awesome! I started WW last week and lost 5.4 lbs but have about 70 more to go. Oh well, it's a start and soon I hope to be up there with your weight loss.

Again, Congrats on your new 'baby'

Mz M

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,839
Points 352,757
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 10:08 PM

Congrats on the new toy Debra. Will you be sharing a photo?

Your bedtime story hour sounds like so much fun.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 10:37 PM

How fun!!  Enjoy your new machine.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 2:43 AM

Congratulations on your new goodies!  Bet you wake up with a smile on your face in the morning!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 544
Points 3,805
Paula replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 6:53 AM

Allright!!! now you can really be sewing in style!! Congrats on the weight loss too!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 8:07 AM

What a fun day you had...... Congratulations!

I also bought a new Rowenta iron and ironing board this weekend.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,057
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 2:16 PM

Congratulations on all accounts. Wish I could afford a new machine maybe one day. I was thinking of a midarm down the road but my bf says to go for a long arm if we move so I have the space or my roommates move out eventually on their own again like the last set did.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Congrats on your new machine Debra. 

Margaret

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

So I've set up my new Babylock and am feeling quite inadequate.  My other machine was so simple and this one is most definitely not.  I can't even get it threaded the right way in order to engage the auto threader.  And I'm not sure I'm winding my bobbins correctly as I am having tension problems. Since I only sew on my dining room table, I had to take down the old machine and put it back in the quilt room, and even though I want to work on the MQ, I'm not sure I'm ready yet.

Oh, and lady at Meissners told me that the 40 or so bobbins I already have would be fine for my new BL.. and she was wrong. 

Oh well, I WILL get past this and start sewing without fear. 

Still glad I have the new BL, but feeling a little let down from the "high" of buying her yesterday.

And BTW... her name is CoCo.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use