Top 10 Posters

Home Quilting Machines

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 23 Replies | 12 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 505
J.P. posted on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:46 PM

I'm looking for a new sewing/quilting machine.  I've looked at so many it's getting confusing.  What kind do you all recommend.  I've been looking at the Janome MC 6500 and the Babylock Quest Plus or Espire.  I'm on a tight budget but I really need to upgrade to a machine with more workspace for my quilting projects.  Thanks for you help. JP

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 9:53 PM

I too have been wanting to upgrade my sewing machine. I currently have a Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter and I love it. Wide throat, 1600 stitches per inch, semi-industrial motor...but it only does a straight stitch, and all the free motion you want.  Anyways, I have been looking at and comparing machines for over a year now. I have found the Babylock to be the best value with the most perks. I really like the Ellisimo but with my current financials, that one will have to stay on the shelf for a while.

I do have a quick suggestion for whatever you choose to purchase. If you ask for/buy a floor model they knock quite a bit off the price and it still comes with the same warranty!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,843 Posts
Points 248,964
Barbara replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 10:06 PM

I have a Janome 6600 with all the bells and whistles and I love mine, but the best thing to do is try it out before you buy.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
361 Posts
Points 6,265

J.P. and Joy, I would definitely suggest going with a machine with a wider throat, especially if you plan to attempt quilting your own quilt.  You can often find some of them, like the one Barbara suggested, on Craigslist for one-half the price of a new one, and still in exceptional condition.  Many people really don't use their machines once they get them; life gets too busy or they don't like sewing.  I know there is one on Craigslist in my area right now for half the price of a new one.  If I was in the market financially, I would pick it up immediately.  Regardless, the higher grade models are worth the price.

Penny

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

I also have the Janome 6600 and really like it.  I did lots of research before buying.  I found the website sewreview.com to be a good source to gather info.  Originally, I wanted to get a Baby Lock Symphony but the dealer was farther than I was willing to travel for classes, service, etc.  

Good luck.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Sat, Oct 15 2011 8:56 AM

Craigslist is a really good idea! Maybe I will find my dream machine on there!!!  Penny I don't think I could ever go back to a machine with a "normal" throat size after using my Pfaff grand quilter for so long. It makes quilting so much easier with the wide throat...I think mine is 17"...but I'm not sure. Thanks for the great idea!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 10
Suggested by Susan Deer

I may want to sell my Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200.  I've had it for about 5 years...can't believe I've had it that long...Anyway, I may want to upgrade to a quilting machine that has a stitch regulator on it.  It is in excellent condition.  Does anyone have an idea what I should ask for this machine?  I think I may have quilted 10 plus quilts on it.

I'd appreciate any help.  Thank you

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Joy:
I really like the Ellisimo but with my current financials, that one will have to stay on the shelf for a while.
  Take a look at the Brother Quattro.  It is the same machine as the ellisimo, at half the price.   It does it all, add to that that brother makes the babylock.

Good Luck

Granny M

Top 500 Contributor
Female
81 Posts
Points 1,685

I'm with Penny: If you're going to quilt with your machine, look at the throat size! I have a Bernina 440QE that I love, but the throat size isn't as big as the throat on my Singer 201-2 (year 1940, straight stitch only). Machine preference is so personal, but some things, like arm size, height, etc. are major considerations.

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Sun, May 13 2012 10:23 PM

Can you tell me how much you paid for your Janome 6600 some people are saying it is like 1,400 I just looked it up on google and it says it is much less then that. So I'm a little confused about the price.

Top 75 Contributor
1,368 Posts
Points 19,455

oklahomamom2:

Can you tell me how much you paid for your Janome 6600 some people are saying it is like 1,400 I just looked it up on google and it says it is much less then that. So I'm a little confused about the price.

That's about what I paid for my 6600 last August.  I think it depends on where you get it.  If you get your machine from a dealer and they offer classes and support, you will pay a little more.  In my opinion, it's so worth it if you're getting a computerized machine.  Not so much on a basic mechanical machine.  I didn't need to take any classes with mine but if I ever need a one on one lesson on a particular feature, I can get it.  Also, my dealer offers over the phone support if needed along with a couple free professional cleanings.  

There are online places like sewvacdirect.com, allbrands.com, and sewingmachinesplus.com who sell machines but the ones that don't show prices are the ones that they can't advertise online because of a dealer agreement.  I called for a price when I was doing some comparison pricing and because I was calling from out of state they couldn't quote me a price.  The machines that have prices shown are the ones you can also buy from Amazon, Hancocks, etc.  Those would be the machines with lesser quality parts inside and typically not sold by smaller dealers.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,843 Posts
Points 248,964

OKMOM that is also just about what I paid for my Janome 6600 as well, .It was well worth the price. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,780
Lindy replied on Tue, May 15 2012 11:15 AM

Ya I talked to a dealer the other day yesterday and she said that she has sewing machines around 1000 to 2400 I think that she said that it was around 2400 I told her I was thinking around 1700. They are the closest she said she could give me a good deal on it but had a brothers that had a plastic table to hook on to the sewing machine to make it throat space longer. I just think I'm going to have to break down and save up more money and see what I like best I really like 6600. I guess its all about how willing I am about driving that far.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,484 Posts
Points 43,625

always, It's always what you are willing to settle for.  Usually more than you can afford so you end up waiting a little longer.   Worth it to get exactly what you want.

Not Ranked
Female
31 Posts
Points 940
Krysti replied on Wed, May 30 2012 9:56 PM

There are a lot of great machines out there and we each have our own preference.  Try out whatever models you are interested in to see which YOU like best, and which ones have the features you are looking for.  Also, sometimes the dealer will help you make a decision if they are not knowledgeable or able to answer your questions or if they have to ship off your machine to have serviced, etc.  When I was looking for my new machine, I was also told by several people to buy the most machine you can, because you will grow with it.  I recently purchased a Viking Tribute 140C, and LOVE it!  It has needle/up down, auto threader, auto thread cutter, drop down feed dog button, you can wind bobbin while machine is threaded, drop down bobbin; extra large throat space (I THINK 10"), sensor foot has extra lift, sensor foot automatically goes down when you start sewing if you wish, a "fix" button that locks stitch at beginning and/or end,sewing advisor which sets best stitch; stitch length, width, sewing speed and sensor foot pressure for selected fabric/sewing technique--just to name a few of the cool features.  See what works for you and ENJOY!!!

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use