Top 10 Posters

Purchased fabric online that smells really bad, how to get rid of the smell?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 402
Points 7,370
Valerie Posted: Sat, Oct 24 2009 4:17 PM

I purchased some fabric online, I am a frequent customer of this store and had no problems with their fabric before, opened the fabric and immediately notice a really bad smell. I have tried to air out the fabric and it didn't help. I am afraid washing it won't help either as due to sensitive skin I can't use the scented detergent/fabric softeners. The smell reminds me of new car/musty and mildew smell. I emailed the fabric store and waiting for their response. Does anyone else have suggestions?

Valerie

Woodbridge VA

• | Post Points: 140
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 134
Points 3,225
Pamella replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 4:31 PM

I've used Oxyclean on my dog when she was sprayed by a skunk. Palmolive with Oxy to be exact. Oxyclean makes a laundry additive that may work.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Valerie, If it smells that bad I think I would see about returning it. If that is not possible you might try the oxiclean it works really good on stains and such. You could also maybe soak it in baking soda.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Valerie, If it smells that bad I think I would see about returning it. If that is not possible you might try the oxiclean it works really good on stains and such. You could also maybe soak it in baking soda.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 961
Points 11,961
Anita replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:13 PM

Valerie:
I purchased some fabric online,

Valerie, If it smells that bad I think I would see about returning it.

if you don't want to that try washing it Baby detergent , it is mild and unscented

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,239
Points 239,682
Thea replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:44 PM

Valerie - since you have sensitive skin I would wash it with what you wash your clothes with.

First though I would find out what the store you bought it from says - ask them if you wash it and it still has the smell if you can still return it... they may not allow that -

If you can - can you use woolite - you might soak it in the bathtub in woolite and then hang out to dry... or dry in dryer on the air freshener cycle -

that is an idea too - can you put it in your dryer on that cycle... with a fabric softener sheet that you could use - I know they have ones for skin sensitive skin.  I think Downy makes some - I used to buy them for my DH's clothes but we found now that we can use regular downy and it doesn't bother him.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 285
Points 7,035
Shellie replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 6:50 PM

If you do not want to return it there is an product I buy at Big Lots - its called "Smells Begone" by Evercare and it is in the laundery isle.  Its an odor eliminating spray, only $1.50 a bottle and it works beautifully!  Its like Fabreeze but has no odor of its own.  I know it will totally eliminate the smell of cigarette smoke, which is one of the toughest odors to eliminate, so I am pretty sure it will help.

Shellie - south central Washington state

Linaria Dalmatica Designs

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 42
Points 1,035
Alicia replied on Sat, Oct 24 2009 9:16 PM

I like to use vinegar, regular white vinegar, for textiles that smell badly. It rinses out, so you don't get a lingering vinegar smell, but it seems to eliminate the odors that other products don't. I put it in the wash cycle, instead of detergent. Might be worth a shot. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Alicia:

I like to use vinegar, regular white vinegar, for textiles that smell badly. It rinses out, so you don't get a lingering vinegar smell, but it seems to eliminate the odors that other products don't. I put it in the wash cycle, instead of detergent. Might be worth a shot. :)

Thanks Alicia, I thought about vinegar also. I have used it for other things but since I had not tried it on fabric for smells, I was not sure it would work. I will remember that the next time I need it. Thanks again.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Valerie:
The smell reminds me of new car/musty and mildew smell
OK I have to ask...new car smell?? how is that a bad smell and how can it smell like a new car and musty???...blonde girl asking

Ontario, Canada

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Helen Bell:

Valerie:
OK I have to ask...new car smell?? how is that a bad smell and how can it smell like a new car and musty???...blonde girl asking

LOL got to love those BSC  but it is a good question Helly

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 37
Points 970
Boots replied on Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:13 AM

Putting it in your freezer for a few days - or if you are in northern climates like me - hang it in the garage for a day or two if it is winter.  We found this is a great way to remove some odors after friends of ours had a house fire.  The guy had a great leather coat that wasn't damaged but smelled horrible from furniture, drapery, carpet, wood etc smoke in the home fire.  He didn't want to get rid of the coat (they had lost so much already) he hung it outside.  It was the dead of winter.  Low and behold a few days of freezing temps and the smell was gone.  Not sure why but the freezing methods has been used a few times and it usually works.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Spudgrandma:

Helen Bell:

Valerie:

You know us BSC's can have good questions....occasionally (sp) can't spell this morning

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,604

Helen Bell:

Spudgrandma:

Helen Bell:

Valerie:

You know us BSC's can have good questions....occasionally (sp) can't spell this morning

That's true Helly, we even have good answers sometimes LOL

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Spudgrandma:
That's true Helly, we even have good answers sometimes LOL
oh we think we ALWAYS have good and intelligent answers...bahaha

Ontario, Canada

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use