choosing fabric for a quilt

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 255
Elizabeth P. Posted: Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:05 PM

When I plan a new quilt, I  go thru my fabric stash as the first step in choosing fabrics.  Then I usually have to head to the quilt store or on-line to find additional fabrics.  In addition to swatches from my chosen fabrics; I take the information printed on the salvages.  This will show the fabric manufacturer, collection, and fabric name.  This information is very helpful in finding coordination fabric in the collection.  It also sometimes includes small dots of the colors used in the fabric print, which can also be helpful in finding coordinating fabrics from other lines.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,949
gini replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 6:20 PM

isn't it fun that we are all so different.   i rarely use more than one fabric in a collection.  i might buy several in the collection, but i don't use them together.   i like to mix and match my own palette.  but you can tell by how i dress that co-ordination is not a strong point with me.  i only buy socks in black and white so i don't have to match them. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 7:47 PM

gini:

isn't it fun that we are all so different.   i rarely use more than one fabric in a collection.  i might buy several in the collection, but i don't use them together.   i like to mix and match my own palette.  but you can tell by how i dress that co-ordination is not a strong point with me.  i only buy socks in black and white so i don't have to match them. 

A person after my own heart.  When I buy fabric and start a quilt, my daughters often comment that they think my choices are horrible.  However, they change their minds when they see the finished product.  I have, on occasion, used fabrics all from the same palette, but they usually look so drab to me, unless, of course, it is a very bright and colorful palette.  They also do not like my choice of colors for my wardrobe, and I just tell them that it is great to be older and retired and not have to worry what other people are going to think of my color/style choices. 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

Gini, lol...I only buy socks in black and white also!  Who needs to spend time matching socks??  You know the washing machine is just going to eat one of them anyway!

I usually buy whatever floats my boat.  This results in lots of blue fabric in my stash.  I had to ban myself from buying any more blue fabric for a while, as a matter of fact.  Usually I pick out fabrics for a quilt, fold them and lay them next to each other on my cutting table, and leave them out for a day or two.  That way I can look at them as I go through the rooom or just randomly while I am doing something else, and make sure that it's not just an ill-advised whim that made me put something odd in there.  There have been times when I have changed my mind about a fabric a day or two later.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

I will use more than one fabric in a collection in a quilt but I also like to add in other fabrics from different collections as well.  I love the idea of mixing and matching fabric collections to keep things from getting too boring or blah.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,813
Points 352,312
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 11:34 PM

gini:
i only buy socks in black and white so i don't have to match them. 

Gini,

you can buy socks that don't match. I love them. LOL

I also use whatever I think go together. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use