Top 10 Posters

Putting all three layers together

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
3 Posts
Points 75
fbriggs posted on Tue, Oct 11 2011 8:33 AM

All the magazines that I have subscribed to shows how to put your top together, but no directions on how to put your backing and batting on with the quilt top.  Can someone help me.  I'm a new quilter.  Thanks in advance.

Fredricka

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 8:40 AM

http://youtu.be/8EiPL9NMqm0

there are many websites out there that can help you.  above is one I have never used but just found 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 8:41 AM

this one after a quick google search.  I would recommend going to a quilt class.  You'll meet lots of great people too.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,618

Thea posted a tutorial once of how she does hers.  I don't know if she tagged it.  You could try to do a search on here and see if she did.  There are a lot of good books out there that could help you too.  The Quilters University books are excellent. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,933 Posts
Points 125,230
Suggested by Joy

fbriggs:

All the magazines that I have subscribed to shows how to put your top together, but no directions on how to put your backing and batting on with the quilt top.  Can someone help me.  I'm a new quilter.  Thanks in advance.

Fredricka

I don't know if I can really help except to echo what others are saying. Do you have a quilting guild in your area? A local quilt shop? They are usually very helpful. For what it's worth, here's what I do (keep in mind that I'm not an expert)

If you have large tables, put them together. If you're young and limber you can use the floor. I lay down the backing, face down and tape it on all four sides to keep it smooth.  Then I lay on the batting and smooth it. Then the quilt top, face up and tape it down to keep it smooth. I pin about every 4 inches. I can't use the spray stuff and haven't yet tried the sticky batting.

Good luck. The layering process is my least favorite way to go. Of course, if you can afford it, the easiest way is to send it out to a long armer to quilt. You don't have to layer or quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,117 Posts
Points 29,755
Ramona replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:44 AM

Fredricka,

When I first started quilting I did as Judy suggested. Either the floor or tables, tape down your backing snug but not tight. Then layer your batting and smooth it out and then your top. What I'd like to add is to make SURE your backing and your batting is at least 4" larger, all the way around your quilt, than your quilt top. Then do your pinning as Judy suggested. Sending out to a longarm quilter is so much easier. :-)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,110
Joy replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 11:26 AM

I had the same problem as a beginning quilter! You should see how my first quilts came out! Oh My Goodness!!! But what Judy is saying is the best way to do it...I still layer my quilts this way. You can purchase painters tape 2" wide...which really makes 'un-taping' much easier. I smooth out my backing on the floor, tape; smooth out batting on top of that...tape; then smooth out top...tape. I am a pin baster so I gently lay down on the middle of the quilt with a million pins and begin the long process of pinning the entire quilt together. Another note...I have some arthritic issues with my hands/wrists so instead of using 1" quilting safety pins I use the 2" I find it much easier to put through fabric and close. When its all basted together, gently pull all the tape off and your ready to quilt!!!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

• Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use