Time for a new Sewing Machine ?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
205 Posts
Points 5,005
Debra Moore posted on Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:14 AM

About 8 years ago, before I knew anything about sewing or quilting, I paid less than 200 for a Sears branded Janome Harmony 4052 sewing machine.  Paid an extra 30 for a walking foot (once I found out what it was).  This is a really basic machine that has taken me through 6 bed sized quilts and a half dozen or so smaller quilt projects.  I've been trying to find a darning foot so I can try free motion quilting, but am not having a lot of success. 

So it occurs to me that maybe it's time for new machine.  My budget is limited, so I really need to stay under 400-500 incl extra feet (walking and darning).

I've spent many, many hours online looking and am no closer to making a decision.  Any help from personal experience, good or bad, about the machines themselves or where you bought it, would really help.

Thanks in advance,

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,777 Posts
Points 245,587
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:23 PM
Verified by Debra Moore

Debra - I definitely recommend a Janome - I am sure if you can't get a new one in your price range that you will be able to find a trade in that will work.  I have a little Brother 270D that I spend a little over $200 for - it doesn't have a very big area for quilting a quilt - but it has all the rest that you could possibly want for the price.  It is an embroidery machine and has scissors and needle down... tons of stitches too .  It is the machine I take to classes as it is very light and has an awesome stitch.  Took me a little while to get used to threading it as it is done in a cartridge but once i figured it out had no problems there.  It does come with a free motion foot as it is an embroidery machine.  For the price I couldn't beat it.  I bought mine on Ebay and just bid to $250 and kept trying till I was able to buy it for that or less - I bought one for my best friend in NY at that time too - She absolutely loved it and her SIL who has it now since Lori left us loves it too.  Great machine for the price - To think I have had so  many problems with my very expensive Pfaff... and this little machine does almost everything it does... amazes me...

Check your local sewing machine  stores too - they usually get trade ins that you can get cheaper - or check the home sales in your area - garage sales in this area seem to sell machines all the time for peanuts - women buy them and then realize that they aren't really going to use the machine and sell it... So you might find a very expensive machine for peanuts...

• | Post Points: 25
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,014 Posts
Points 250,834
Verified by Debra Moore

Debra,I to recommend  Janome, they are just great machines. another decent priced machines  are Brother ,which are made by the same company, They have some good machines that have the accessories that you need . good luck in your search and will look forward to hearing about you final decision.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,092

Debra, Janome has alot of great machines around your price range. Have you tried looking at their web site?

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,777 Posts
Points 245,587
Answered (Verified) Thea replied on Sun, Oct 9 2011 12:23 PM
Verified by Debra Moore

Debra - I definitely recommend a Janome - I am sure if you can't get a new one in your price range that you will be able to find a trade in that will work.  I have a little Brother 270D that I spend a little over $200 for - it doesn't have a very big area for quilting a quilt - but it has all the rest that you could possibly want for the price.  It is an embroidery machine and has scissors and needle down... tons of stitches too .  It is the machine I take to classes as it is very light and has an awesome stitch.  Took me a little while to get used to threading it as it is done in a cartridge but once i figured it out had no problems there.  It does come with a free motion foot as it is an embroidery machine.  For the price I couldn't beat it.  I bought mine on Ebay and just bid to $250 and kept trying till I was able to buy it for that or less - I bought one for my best friend in NY at that time too - She absolutely loved it and her SIL who has it now since Lori left us loves it too.  Great machine for the price - To think I have had so  many problems with my very expensive Pfaff... and this little machine does almost everything it does... amazes me...

Check your local sewing machine  stores too - they usually get trade ins that you can get cheaper - or check the home sales in your area - garage sales in this area seem to sell machines all the time for peanuts - women buy them and then realize that they aren't really going to use the machine and sell it... So you might find a very expensive machine for peanuts...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,014 Posts
Points 250,834
Verified by Debra Moore

Debra,I to recommend  Janome, they are just great machines. another decent priced machines  are Brother ,which are made by the same company, They have some good machines that have the accessories that you need . good luck in your search and will look forward to hearing about you final decision.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
205 Posts
Points 5,005

I found this on Ebay for 112.00 w Free Shipping.  It's not an electronic or computerized machine, but I'm not sure that's important.  I don't really need all the fancy stitches or embroidery stuff, even my current machine has some of that, and I've never used any of them.  I just need a consistent machine that's not temperamental, and one that I can get extra feed for without much trouble.   This machine does look a little small, but I really like the extension table.

Janome Magnolia 7312 sewing/Quilting Combination.  It comes with a 1/4 Inch Foot, Walking Foot and Extension Table (18"x24").  It can be seen at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Janome-Magnolia-7312-Sewing-Quilting-Combination-/260861413826?pt=BI_Sewing_Machines&hash=item3cbc8d49c2

Any thoughts?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,779 Posts
Points 180,678
Marie replied on Sun, Oct 9 2011 5:31 PM

Debra, looks like a great deal to me.  Since it's new out of the box check to see if it comes with the warranty.  Good luck!

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
20,014 Posts
Points 250,834

Debra, I have heard they are good machines ,some gals use them for classes cause they are small and easy to carry around.Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use