rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 285
AAnnieC posted on Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:33 PM

Hey Folks,

I have been requested to produce a quilt from beginning to end. I have no idea how to price this. I've never sold a quilt. The client will provide some clothing they wish to use in the quilt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AAnnieC

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,307 Posts
Points 20,790

Aanie,

My MIL and SIL do machine quilting for the public. But they do just the machine quilting. and i know they charge a percentage for every thing that they do.  depending on how large the quilt is and how much they have to invest,  like batting, the backing,  and binding, and anything extra they have to provide , i have seen them go  for about 150.00 ( twin size) and up.  I don't know how much they would charge from beginning to end........that is a good question..

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,008 Posts
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:48 AM

AAnnieC,

Have you ever done a quilt from clothes? If not, there is some work invovled. You have to cut all the seams out, all the buttons and zippers off. Once you have the items cut you need to iron interfacing on the back to stabilize the fabrics. (unless, it's cotton or denim). I've done several of these from my Mother-In-Law who passed away. It takes some time. I did the Turning Twenty pattern. I figured the fabric was to be the show of the quilt.  As for how much to charge? Whew! I really don't know. I made throws. Someone else with more knowledge in that area will have to help. I feel for you. :-)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
16 Posts
Points 285

RamonaC,

Thanks for the response. You brought up somethings I hadn't thought of.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,008 Posts
Points 28,310
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 1:40 PM

AAnnieC,

Glad I helped some. Have you decided to go ahead with making the quilt?

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Sun, Oct 16 2011 2:00 PM

Yes, I usually charge by size of the quilt as well and complexity. I have never done with clothing before though. Quiltdaddy's advice is good. I would also like to point out that you don't want to send it out to have it machine quilted to a shop or someone that will run up your charges for both you and your client. Find out the size they want and go from there. You can get prices for finished quilts by checking out the auction sites as well. Some do not sell though at those prices. Always keep your receipts for the materials you do use and thenyou have proof that it costed that much for the quilt to be made minus your labor charges.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use