Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 28 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,090
Karla replied on Thu, May 16 2013 11:04 AM

I just wish I had a dedicated sewing room...my mid-arm and frame is set up in one of the spare bedrooms, along with the ironing board and most of my stash...the sewing machines (2 of them are set up in the breakfast nook), my cutting boards are set up in the living room, the other sewing machines are in their cases and stuck in nooks and crannies wherever I could find space, but I do get a lot of exercise going from one room to another to get things done,

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, May 16 2013 11:28 AM

I have every extra bedroom's dressers filled with fabric and accessories that will fit there.  It should be noted we have a 5 bedroom house with only 1 in permanent use (that's ours).  One extra bedroom closet is dedicated to my sewing stuff. 

And I have come to thoroughly enjoy finding antique chests and trunks at estate sales; guess what ends up inside?  Yep more and more of my sewing stuff.

Now to assign an inventory number to everything and identify it's location!  I'm an accountant in my day job, can you tell?

I don't have a machine, but my hoop sits full on the living room coffee table most of the time; or at the office desk at others.

Lighting is my problem, with failing eyes, I just can't seem to get enough light.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, May 16 2013 11:46 AM

Jenia - I know how you feel about eyesight and lighting!  Have you tried OTT lites?  They help quite a bit.

Kim in Canada

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 423
Points 6,765
Julienne replied on Thu, May 16 2013 12:17 PM

I have been thinking about getting an OTTlite for my sewing table/desk. I need the light as I have a hard time seeing later in the day. Are they really worth the price?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, May 16 2013 12:21 PM

Julienne - Unfortunately for me, I had to move my studio from my main floor to the basement.  Don't like working in the basement, but there is so much space.  Lighting is the key issue and I do have two ott lites that I purchased awhile back.  They shed way more light than regular lamps, to be sure.  I'm not sure how much they cost these days, though.

Kim in Canada

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 329
Points 5,785
Jenia replied on Thu, May 16 2013 2:13 PM

Hi Kim:

I never heard of an OTT lite before so I went and looked it up.

p 38 flexarm plus classic.aspx

They look wonderful, I will have to save up for one!  There are several options, but I think this one would be perfectly versatile.

Now I have several things on my wish list.  Hopefully Jim will ask me what I want for my birthday.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 73
Points 1,150

The Ott lights are definitely worth the price, and are frequently on sale at Jo-Anns...  I believe there are similar tubes available for overhead fixtures...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640

Hope you get one soon Jenia!

Kim in Canada

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,098
Points 24,720
Agnes replied on Thu, May 16 2013 8:24 PM

A very reasonable alternate to OTT lites is refitting your current bulbs to florescent daylight bulbs. I have one actual OTT lamp and the color is yellow in comparison to my daylight bulbs. I use the OTT lite as my bedside reading lamp because I could clamp it where I wanted it. There is another name that some manufactures use instead of daylight  but I can not think of it now. When shopping for bulbs the larger stores, eg Home Depot, usually have the various CFL bulbs lit. You want the whitest looking bulb when burning.The same properties are also available in the tube lighting. These brighter lights are great for me in winter time when I otherwise start leaning towards seasonal disorder and depression.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Thu, May 16 2013 8:36 PM

I agree with Agnes - daylight fluorescent bulbs are wonderful!  I have three 4-ft tubes on the ceiling in the sewing room, and I have a daylight fluorescent bulb in the lamp next to the chair that I do my occasional hand-sewing at.

Another light fixture to consider are LCD lamps.  They throw out a very bright, very white light, and the bulbs last forever and cost next to nothing to operate.  I purchased a cheap ($10) LCD desk lamp with gooseneck (bendable) at Walmart.  It's easy to pack and I don't have to worry about breaking anything, so I take it with me on quilt retreats.  I use it set up next to my sewing machine at home, too. 

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Fri, May 17 2013 2:00 PM

Julienne

They really are worth the price.   JoAnn's often has really good sales on their Ott Lights.  I recently purchased a table top model and got the floor lamp free.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 28 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 25 26 27 28 29 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use