Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 21 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 6:41 AM

Sue, great sewing space

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:10 AM

Hi Happy!  I just recently moved my home office studio from the basement of my home to the main floor.  As odd as it sounds, I've set up my work space in the dining room!  I'm going to post some photos later on today.

I would say you need three basic "stations":

1.  Fabric storage

2.  Sewing/embroidery machine set up and storage for sewing machine accessories and quilting tools

3.  Computer/printer station.

You also need a relatively large place to do your fabric cutting....I'll show you what I've done later on today.  Maybe it will also work for you.

Kim in Canada

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:04 PM

Beth Weigt:
I'm only near Chicago - can be there for sewing just about anytime you are having all of us

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with the boards for couple of weeks.   Just let me know when you want to come. I am just out side of Olive Hill, KY    I think it is on the map.

GrannY M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:06 PM

RamonaC:

Granny M,

Where are you? In Kentucky? What part? I'm in south central Ky.

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.   I am in North East,  between Lexington, and Ashland KY

Granny M

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195
Granny M replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:10 PM

Gayle B:

Using the living room floor gives me an excuse to vacuum.  Can you tell I'm not big on housework?

You know the rules ladies,   QUILTING DAILY,  Housework, whenever      

I have got to run and have only read up to Oct 10,  Lord I need to clone myself.   Catch everyone another day

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:24 PM

You will want your cutting table area close to your sewing area. I am unsure if you a have a long arm but you will want that if you do apart from everything else enough for space reasons. Check out the cupboards at koala and other such places for how most quilters studios look for ideas. We all put our stuff where we can get to them even if in a corner in the LR :)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,030
Points 19,830

Granny M - Understand about catching up with emails! DH had neck surgery on the 10th and is hopefully coming home today so I'll be better about keeping up ( I hope).  Visit may have to wait :(

Beth from Illinois

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 7:05 AM

Beth Weigt:
DH had neck surgery on the 10th and is hopefully coming home today

Beth I hope that everything has worked out with your hubby.  It would seem to be a pretty major thing to have neck surgery.  I know that you'll be busy attending his needs, but don't forget to save time for yourself too.  God Bless DH!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 77
Points 1,015
Cindy replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:05 AM

Wow! I love your space. Is it a bonus room?

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,059
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:11 AM

Yeah I know some have a whole room to themselves and make good use of the space too.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:54 AM

Hey to everyone!  I'm in B.C. today and the weather is so cold - there is frost everywhere and it looked like snow this morning.

I wanted to post a few photos of my home office studio.  I had been sewing/quilting/writing in my basement.....and just found no matter what I did, the light down there was not sufficient for what I was doing.  Good lighting for a quilter is just paramount after all!  The basement has smallish windows and despite having worked down there for years - it was time to move upstairs.

Our home is a two storey and I know the bedrooms had insufficient space for me to setup my old drafting table (for cutting fabric), my computer desk, fabric storage, etc.  So, my dear sweet husband helped me to re-arrange our living room and dining room.  I moved some furniture from the living room to the basement, moved my dining room into the living room and my home office studio is now located in what used to be our dining room.  At first glance, I was thinking this will NEVER work - as anyone who comes to my front door could see my sewing mess straight away.  So, off to Pier One to purchase a room divider screen and that really solved that problem.

So much better than working in the basement!  Now I can watch the squirrels and blue jays in the backyard as I work at my sewing/embroidery machines.  The natural light is so superior to anything that I was getting in the "lower level"! 

My work space would not be complete without a reminder of my absolutely "idol" - Mary Engelbreit!

Kim in Calgary, Canada

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,232
Points 17,875
Sheila replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:04 PM

Kim - Beautiful but (ROFL) much too neat!  I wish I had a whole room I could use ~sigh~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,571
Points 51,620
Ginny replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:14 PM

Kim'

Love your "converted" studio.  Very neat.  I guess when it is out in plain sight, you have to make cleaning up after yourself a primary goal.  It is so nice that the window is low enough to just see the view outside.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:16 PM

Sheila - Thanks ever so much!  I cleaned it up (big time!) before I took the photo.  I had actually just finished a project, so it was easy to fold up fabric, etc. and take a photo.

Also, we are now empty nesters for the most part - so our living room wasn't really being used that much and the transition has been pretty easy.  When we have family dinners, we still use the dining room and it works okay.

Kim

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 428
Points 7,640
Kim Hanson replied on Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:17 PM

Thank you so much Giny.  It's true, when people can see the mess I do feel much more responsible to try and keep it tidy - or just pull the room divider across and it's not visible from the front door.

Kim

• | Post Points: 35
Page 21 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 19 20 21 22 23 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use