Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 4 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,326
Points 27,965

Ann:
It sounds like you have a hallway dressing room  and that space is really spent. 

I wish it was a hall-way dressing room.  (We need that as this house has only tiny bedroom closets. There were only nails on the walls when we first moved in.)  this room is now the main entrance to the house with 2 - 6' closets, one across from the door with plastic-clad wire shelves floor to ceiling.  Workshop supplies are on the bottom - power tools, etc.  Left-over wallpaper, rugs, and farm stuff are also stored in the half that isn't for fabric.  I need to find homes for them somewhere else.  The tools, etc need to be stored nearer the back door not the front.  The shelf spacing doesn't lend itself to bins so the fabric is just in uncovered piles.  The dresser drawers hold some of my sewing supplies but they need to go and I need build some type of cutting table/sewing machine table/ ironing board unit for the small space.  Have had plans in my head for closet doors that could double as a design wall but maybe I can put hooks in the top of the casing-board to hold a design wall like yours. That would be easier and could be taken down when things are "buttoned up" for company.  The doors aren't on yet, but will probably be double sliding on each closet to hide my stuff when people come.

The other closet, when I get it finished, will be for outer clothes, boots, shoes, recycling bins, and some pantry items, etc.  I'll also have to store some large pans, canners, etc there which only get used a few times a year.  They are part of the "litter" occupying my small future sewing space.  This closet and the outer door take up 5 1/2' of the outside wall.  Our cellart is a dank dungeon not fit for use and we have no attic.  It is true that 51 years of accumulation and leftovers from 5 children and farm-repair stuff needs to be heavily weeded out.  That would give me a few more corners to fill with the "goodies" .  We have 2 small bedrooms upstairs, but my stair-climbing days are over.  I don't get up there much any more although I have some of the fabrics from my mother and bins of yarn, etc. stored up there.  The old body just doesn't like climbing stairs on a regular basis. 

My current system works for now until I get a REAL table for the kitchen.  Maybe then I'll have to build a sewing unit or get one of the Amish to built me the sewing unit if I don't think I can handle it.  We have several excellent furniture makers now in the neighborhood and I could probably get one of them to do the construction to my plans.  I haven't seen a commercial unit that would work for me.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765

My sewing room/office is about 12' x 12' with a big closet that has built in shelves at one end.

The cutting table has 2 leaves but only one is up.  I'm thinking about getting a second one for pinning quilts and setting them up side by side (in another room).

I have shelves and drawers and cabinets all over.

I also have lights everywhere.  Lighting is baaaad in this room.  It's a rental so I can't hard wire anything.

My helper cats like to curl up in the brown basket by the window and the box on the desk.  The drawers hold fat quaters and larger pieces.  The plastic shoe boxes on the shelves are sorted by color and they are scraps (smaller than a fat q)

This is the first quilt I made 6 years ago that started the ball rolling.

And last but not least, the closet... solids, plaids, Christmas, flanels, non-quilting fabrics, batting, pillow forms, etc...  About every third time I bring home a bag full of stuff I have to rearrange things!  I've got to get busy sewing!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 8:13 PM

WOW- AMAZING  ,I'm so jealous of all of you ,such wonderful spaces for sewing ,I have taken over a corner of my front room and I'm outgrowing it. I would love to have some of those cabinets  and such, You are all so organized, makes mine look messy ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,541
Points 46,765

Barbara:

You are all so organized, makes mine look messy ..Barbara

I must admit I did spend hours on Saturday cleaning up and putting piles of fabric away that had been sitting out since May. Come back in a month and it'll be a wreck again  

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:14 PM

Ramona - Very spacious and lots of good lighting. Love it!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,195
Pamela replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:32 PM

Viki:

I've been sewing & quilting for over thirty years; my entire married life. In fact, my husband bought me my first sewing machine for our first Christmas, because I just couldn't stand not having one after I moved away from home. To answer your questions:

1) Some of the fabrics in the compartments are from the 1980's & 1990's. The pic is from 2007, so I have even more fabric. My sisters joke about coming to my house to shop for fabric.

2) I don't have the baggies, but I do have about 10 quilt tops draped over a quilt frame that I don't use, just waiting for me to quilt them. I keep thinking I should get a longarm and maybe I would get them done. I still have a quilt needing the hand quilting finished from the 1980's. Sometimes, you start something and move onto bigger & better things and the previous projects end up in a drawer forgotten. Someday they'll all get finished or I'll have to will them to my Kiltie Quiilter friends. My dauhters have already said they would give them to Goodwill because they don't want all of it.

3) My first sewing space was the dining room table. I attended college in my late 20's and would go on sewing sprees during winter & spring breaks. The sewing machine would sit at one end of the table during that time while I worked on projects. When my husband complained too much about fighting for space around the machine or eating on the sofa with TV trays, I would clean things up. While my daughters were teenagers, we bought a new house and my sewing took over the walk-in closet and the landing at the top of the staircase. The spare room became my sewing room after my daughters moved out.

We agreed a long time ago that if he could spend his extra money on hunting gear, I could spend mine on my quilting supplies.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 205
Points 5,005

Ann,

I love the cubby shelves above the table... that is so cool.  I've tons of plastic tubs of various sizes, all with tops, and some even with labels (lol) and I have a couple of those vinyl hanging shoe thingees in the closet.  An old entertainment center, beat up cafeteria table and bookcase hold all my stuff.  I keep reorganizing, and it keeps getting messy..... go figure.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:55 PM

Debra Moore:

Ann,

I love the cubby shelves above the table... that is so cool.  I've tons of plastic tubs of various sizes, all with tops, and some even with labels (lol) and I have a couple of those vinyl hanging shoe thingees in the closet.  An old entertainment center, beat up cafeteria table and bookcase hold all my stuff.  I keep reorganizing, and it keeps getting messy..... go figure.

I think something sneaks into our sewing areas while we are asleep and tosses everything around.  My selective memory does not remember not putting things away -- does your's?   The other drawback of quilting in my garage with the door open is that if the wind comes up, I'm done for!   Fabric, instructions, scraps, it all goes in different directions.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,293
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:36 PM

Very nice Ann, so neat and tidy.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,273
Points 173,293
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 3:39 PM

Ramona I am so jealous of all that space!  Wonderful!

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:01 AM

Marie,

I do love it. Spend all day most every day in it. I love all the sewing rooms shown. Even the ones they say are messy. That just shows they are busy with projects and getting things done. I love it!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:08 AM

Pamela,

Thank you so much for your kind words. I do have some good lighting. It was something I asked for when he built the building. My eyes are just not what they used to be. It also seems that  the more space I have the more stuff I get to put in it. I think I saw that as a requirement once in a rule book for quilters once. LOL

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,660

That would be awsome! besides looking at other quilters quilts I lov to peek into sewing rooms

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 8:37 PM

Some days neat ... some days not so tidy ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 8:47 PM

• | Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 29 (426 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use