Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 3 of 29 (426 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:47 PM

Karla,

Thank you so much. He did do a great job for me. I think I'll keep him around a bit longer. lol Sounds like you're making your space work for you! That's all that matters.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:47 PM

Hi Marsha and all,

Thanks for the neatness ranking.  I've really enjoyed the posts and ideas presented here by others.  I have to admit that the room was a long time coming.  My boyfriend and I live in a two-bedroom apartment and I had the room 7 of those 11 years on my own.  Now we share one bedroom and the other had always been a guest or storage room.  I have three adult children now and over three periods of time someone of them used the back bedroom while making life adjustments.  Such a waste that the great majority of the time we couldn’t step in the room because all the stuff we thought we needed to keep, but all we were keeping was a lot of clutter from another life… even though there is a double double closet in there we just weren’t using it properly.  By the time the last son moved out, I knew exactly what I’d wanted to do with it.  We threw out the bed and dressers and not-so-used tread mill that were back there and I started developing on the quilting idea, I knew Rich moved slowly so I asked his best friend to come put up shelves for me from old boards we had from that other life. 

Rich has since then taken his lures (top of closet out) and he’ got the other closet – we’ve had the “quilting studio” for now about 1 ½ years.  Without a garage or basement, there’s really not a lot around here other than the main rooms AND we did make room in the LR for a drafting/cutting table with a lateral file we use to iron so that when sweetie is watching TV I can cut fabric with him very close.  Everything has to be compact.  I believe the sewing room is 12’ x 14’ … It’s a nice size but not huge.  I really love my closet in that it doubles for storage and I put nails on the top to hold a portable design wall (Fons & Porter) when I need it.  The big plastic containers only have scrap in them, because that’s what I collect from sewing friends and sister.  AND the packages up on top are all quilt kits – about 50 of them.  My sister has a habit of buying without doing most of them … she’s probably got about 75 or more left at her house – we’ve got ongoing plans with what to do with all that!  So what I did was to make a catalogue of the one’s she sent my direction and that’s what is in the plastic wrap, and the papers are flip sheets showing what’s in the kits.

I really believe in the cubby concept in that I can only fit a specific number of plastic containers, so if I want new scraps, I have to process the old.  There are four collections including my grandma’s quilting scraps after she passed. It sounds like you have a hallway dressing room  and that space is really spent.  We have the two bedrooms each with two large closets, we have the front hall closet and a small closet downstairs for the majority of Rich’s sports equipment and laundry.  During a 5 day pass of not doing anything else, I cleaned out all 5 of the upstairs closet throwing the equivalency of an entire closet of clothes I’d been holding on to that didn’t fit and much other stuff.  So now I have one closet for my clothes, one closet for Rich’s clothes, one closet for quilting and one closet for dirty laundry and hangers … and at that I have plenty of space for a 4 canvas bin sorter so it’s no longer creeping out the bottom of our closets.  Out of my whole entire life … I found only the need to save 3 boxes that went into the front hall closet of all the things I really wanted to keep.  It was MAJOR decluttering.  It was my thought that the ONLY way a sewing room would happen is that a lot of junk had to go and that had to be our priority.  I’ve seen hinged tables coming from closets … It be a super dream for you.  Just gotta get the right connections made.  I can really appreciate how you’ve pieced together spaces for you to be.  I love the padded/cutting board/iron table.  I’ve got one in front (LR) and one in back.  I ALSO love the idea of cutting with feet up!  Not so much in the truck!  Keep thinking though!  It won’t happen unless you dream it up!

Our very best,

Ann

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:54 PM

Viki,

We had a few fabric stores go out of business in our area in Fla and I was lucky enough to get in there and get, what I call, "my retirement stash" built up. I knew I'd be living in the country and far away from quilt shops.  Hubby just understood that this is something that I loved to do. Hope to someday get in a business of quilting for others. We are just no in a convenient location so don't know if that'll work. There are 2 ladies in our small town that have an established quilt business so, for now, it's not for me. That'll give me some time to learn.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:57 PM

Debbie,

I am torn when leaving for sure! Kids and grandkids in Florida to see and quilt machine here. :-) We stay so busy when we go back that I do look forward to some peace and quiet here.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,660

Oh Thanks for starting this forum!!

I absolutly love your sewing studio, especially all that fabric that you can actually see and touch!

I too have started prijects all over the place!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 5:02 PM

Ann,

WOW! How orgainzed is that and don't you just love the Thimbleberry fabrics! Would love to have a collection myself.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 5:20 PM

Thank you Rose-Marie.  I like it too.  I think the bedroom size is pretty standard and it is great for an apartment.  The sofa goes with the part of it that's in the LR.  We moved things around to balance the two rooms, and I love it for debriefing my brain.  With only one bedroom it would have been impossible ... I'm getting a little static from Rich in that we got a couple new bedroom pieces - he got the chest of drawers and three drawers under the tv cabinet and I got the 8 drawer dresser.  Like uh huh ... clothes will fit fine into FOUR drawers ... the other four are for fat quarters and there's two more scrap bins under the bed, plus storage under the tables in the studio - he's tune into that outward sprawl that quilting seems to take ...

I had thought of the under counter lighting and I would love to see pictures of your set-up.   I had tried a movable desk light with the drafting table and I liked the affect especially at night when Rich was watching TV and all the lights were out.  I think its a romantic light - giving me kind of the craftsman feel I was looking for.  The back two lights under the shelf and over the sewing machine are ott lights so I didn't have to worry about the affects of flourescent after long periods of work.  It just might be the way I am in that I don't like the florescent where we worked either ... I bought a similar light just for the immediate work space and we turned the other off.  *Giggling* the side benefit is that many people didn't realize I was in the office so they tended not to bother so much.  Sweet!  Looking forward to your pictures.  To me each designed area - even if on the kitchen table is unique because it's where the quilt artist finds her magic to work! 

best,

Ann

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 5:39 PM

Hi Vicki,

I'd like to answer of few of those questions, for example it only takes a year or two to amass a bunch of quilting "stuff" IF you have a younger sister feeling guilt from all her excess!  Teasing ... she was overwhelmed and so between the two of us we're now on a better track.  She's the one that we saw first with the cubbies hanging in the closet.  That impressed me like all get-out!  I believe my sister has been sewing for a bout 30 years.  I'm just going now on my 3rd year. 

It wasn't intended, but I guess I took a young retirement about two weeks ago.  I'm working on a degree at home, AND I'm going to fix it so that it correlates with my love of quilting.  My grandmother was an avid quilter who had sewed hundred with her church guild.  I explained the baggies with a picture so I'll let that part go ... I've heard good things and bad.  We did it because al the kits were in plastic already, just real sloppy and hard to stack.  Now the kids (tops) are solid and I know what is in each one.  It was a lot of picture taking, but even the quilting "catalogue was fun because any time you've got ot look and feel fabrics is fun. 

As to Dear hubby ... that is something that gets argued out in time ... at least on my end.  I was using the cutting mat my sister had sent home with me so I could learn to cut (hehhe for her!) but was breaking my back on the low round coffee table.  The drafting table was the next idea because it didn't take up THAT much room etc., AND he liked the part I was still spending time with him while cutting/and him watching TV.  But the chaos started when my sister got so many cut pieces from me she said it was time I get my own sewing machine (She still had my Viking that was 26 years old) and she had a wonderful sewing room that put all kinds of ideas into my head.  Since the apartment was mine before Rich came (7 of the last 11 years), I just took owernship over what was going to happen in the spare room.  I saw his fussy rebellion coming up only with putting up shelves, so we asked his friend to do it who LIKES doing that kind of stuff.  Everything that went in was either used or relatively cheap.  The two tables were like $59 and $69 and I LOVE THEM! 

I would think that your hubby could take the dining room - bigger table and most likely closer to the TV - NOT that only guys use it, but they are MORE likely when there's a quilter in the house hehehe.  Maybe he wouldn't then even have to move if he wasn't working the day you tutored?  I'm all for using space for committed quilting, AND build straight up!

Our best,

Ann

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 5:55 PM

Ramona,

You have a really great space and are doing a lot with it.  I see that you've got a nice little couch area too AND theres room for your feet!  It is an impressive stash of fabric you have and the storage space is really nice!  It looks like you buy by the bolt and go through it pretty well in that there wasn't so much space needed for the foldable sized fabric.  I also LOVE your grouping of the fat quarters.  Grouping it by color has to absolutely be the best way to go and it looks like if you grew your collection you'd most likely add another cabinet - good for you!.  There's something to be said for building and designing your own best work environment.  My hat is off to you!

Our best,

Ann

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,018
Points 28,465
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 6:08 PM

Ann,

How very kind. I purchased the stand at a Hancocks that was going out of business. My husband cut out every other bracket which made it perfect for fat quarters! The two cabinets behind that are book shelves that hold books on the bottom half on one side and fabric on the top and fabric in the other book shelf. As for the other shelves..some are bolts but most are less.  As a rule I would purchase no less than 4 yards and I found putting them on the bolt boards was a better way to store larger pieces. Thanks again for your kind words.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,307
Points 20,790
KATHY replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 6:19 PM

all of the quilt areas are great!  Right now, my Dh and I share a 16 x 36 ft-  1 bedroom home.  We are building as we go and will eventually have more space as we are adding a LR and another  BDRM.  Recently, DH custom built a sewing table large enough for 2 machines in the corner of our current BDRM. Which eventually this will become my Quilt room but will be a 14 x 16 area....I have dreams.....and all the pics shown just inspire me. 

Happy Quilting!

CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

I love all the quilting studios. Right now my quilting stuff is in the guest bedroom, that is where the sewing machines are and what little stash I have.  I also have my accuquilt go which is stored in the livingroom, and a few things in the kitchen. 

Margaret

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,660

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,660

love all the pics! I decided to show pics of my room as is rght now!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022

There use to be a thread where alot of us showed off their showing rooms, I'll see if I can find it

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 50
Page 3 of 29 (426 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use