Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 2 of 29 (426 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:31 PM

Hi all,

Here's my space.   Wishing all a great Wednesday!

• | Post Points: 95
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:31 PM

Marie,

I was thinking about adding a murphy bed as a guest bed that way I can move my sewing tables into the guest room instead of working in my computer room.  Anyone have a murphy bed out there to give me pointers?

Funny how my 3 other bedrooms were filled with my 3 daughters.  They have all moved out and I now have a guest room and a computer room.  NICE!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:33 PM

Wow Ramona,

That's not a "space", that's a house!  Lucky you!!!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,582
Points 75,645
Karla replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:47 PM

Annie:

Wow Ramona,

That's not a "space", that's a house!  Lucky you!!!!

I agree!  I think that is bigger than my whole house.  My sewing room is about 9' X 11' and I've got a 10 foot quilting frame housed in it.  My fabric and UFO's are stored in storage bins under the frame and my "stash" is stacked in basket and plastic drawer units.  My ironing board is set up in from on the closet which is filled with kinds of other craft projects and my sewing machine and cutting table are in the middle of my living room, much to my husband's dismay. 

Ramona, you are so lucky!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:47 PM

Annie,

You're too funny. I do love it! It's my husbands way of trying to make me happy in the country. We built it  in  2007.  Got my machine in 2008. We are 12 miles from town and sewing and quilting keeps me busy. I live in my shop during the day. Don't even go to the cabin until supper time. We would like to get fully moved here but, as for now, we go back and forth between here and Fla. Hopefully the economy will turn around soon and we can get our Fla house sold.  I don't get to use my quilting machine as often as I would like as it lives here in KY. I do transport my sewing and embroidery machines back and forth. Each time I come back it's a learning curve.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:52 PM

Karla,

You made me laugh. It is the same size as our two bedroom cabin that we built to live in while we build our house. The house is still to come, I hope. I used to sew in the living room against one wall. Had the cutting table in our bedroom. It was wonderful of him to build this building for me. I do love it so. When I get tired I go out on the porch and chk out the scenery.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 305

Ann,  I quite like your space.  It is reminiscent of the room I had in my house.  I also had a "sofa" for thinking!  It is very different in a condo when you have to share the room with hubby! 

You might want to try under the counter lighting.  They come in several lengths and you can connect 2 or more together.  I have these attached to shelves in my "corner" in my AZ park model and they really add quite a bit of light.  I will try to post a picture when I return there.

Rose-Marie

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,375
Georgia replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:05 PM

I'm quilt fortunate to have a large quilting space as well.  My sewing room is 30' x 45'. I would be way too embarrassed to post pics right now since my dh is building shelves and cabinetry for me and everything is such a mess!  When it's all finished I'll be sure to share.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 120
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 1:48 PM

OK.  Since I'm new to quilting, I'm compelled to ask you ladies a few questions...

First, how long does it take you to collect so much fabric?  My goodness!  It's like a quilting store in some of those rooms!

Second, whoever had the labeled baggies on the wall (sorry, can't go back now and get your name), what is in the baggies?  Are they all tops?  How long did it take to get so many?

Third, how do you all convince the hubbies that a quilting room is a good idea?  We have a spare bedroom, but it's an office right now (hubby works at home 2x a week).  I store my fabrics in an armoire in there and have my sewing machine, cutting, etc. all on the first floor in the dining room.  I have to clean it all up once a week b/c I tutor a little boy.  Then I get it all out again.  How luxurious to have all of that space just for quilting!!!

Hope you don't mind the questions.  I'm just amazed by all of you.  Your husband's deserve big hugs for being so open to your hobbies! :)

Thanks and take care,

Viki

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 105
Points 2,710

Viki,

I just left my stuff around and then bitched at him when he moved it for his projects!  His "thinking/TV" room soon became my quilting room!  He is very thoughtful like that though and even searched out a cool machine/cutting/storage table for it and rearranged everything in there to accommodate my stuff.

Nancy P

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,794
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 2:46 PM

Viki,

I gained room when my kids moved out.  They're a but upset how I changed their rooms around and feel insulted that there is no room for them to return.  Intentional? you might ask, no not really.  That's why I'm looking into a Murphy Bed - to make everyone happy.  Have to make room for my grand babies, after all.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655

Ramona, I would never leave if that was mine!  It looks to be about the size of my entire house!! *sigh*

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,537
Points 46,655

Viki, I have fabric in my stash that I've had for 30 years but the serious collecting began when I started quilting 6 years ago.  I go to estate sales, friends and relatives give it to me, and then there are the sales, the shop hops, the 'must have' kits... it's become an addiction but... there are worse addictions out there! 

When I was married I think my husband let me have my own space because I presented such a logical argument in favor of it (yeah right) or maybe I just pouted... now it's just me and the cats and they LOVE my sewing room :)

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,422
Points 23,795
Maggie replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:12 PM

Wow, what a room and yes, it is bigger than my 950 sq ft house that I share with my daughter, 1 grandson, 2 cats and 1 medium/large dog.  Used to sew in the third bedroom which was - don't laugh, 5' x 7'.  DGS now sleeps in there and my sewing room is now the garage which I share with my workbench, tools. laundry,storage,  pantry, and my daughter's scrapbooking wall of stuff and camping gear (DGS is a Boy Scout)    No car in there anymore.   Can't sew in there in the summer as the garage door faces west and there is no air cond. in there, but the rest of the year its great to open that big ole door and its like quilting outside.  My garage is 550 square feet -- over half the size of the entire house! 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 4:44 PM

Georgia,

How nice. I'd love to get some cabinets in mine. Maybe next year. Sure could use them for threads and "stuff". Sounds like you have a wonderful area to do you sewing/quilting etc. in. Can't wait to see some pictures!

Page 2 of 29 (426 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use