Top 10 Posters

What does your sewing room/space/studio look like?

Page 1 of 29 (426 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 425 Replies | 38 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 425
Points 9,200
Pamela Posted: Tue, Oct 4 2011 7:58 PM

NonnieConnie posted pics of her sewing room on her blog, but suggested we have a QCA forum. So, how about a Discussion with lots of pics.

I've posted pics of my sewing room on my blog, but here are a couple for this discussion. Of course, the pics were taken after organizing and cleaning my sewing room. Don't come over anytime soon. My stash & projects have migrated into the front room and you can find quilting stuff everywhere in my house. Oh well!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070

Oh what fun, Since moving I have very limited space, I have to share it with a guest bedroom.  My Longarm is in my living room behind the couch

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 806
Points 12,419
Joan L. replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 8:54 PM

My longarm is also in the living room behind the couch. It bothered me for a while but, I got over it real quick. LOL 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 174,543
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:21 PM

Pam very nice room is it always so neat and tidy?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,346
Points 174,543
Marie replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:25 PM

Elizabeth remember the Murphy Beds?  One would be ideal in your guest room it would give you more space.  Just a thought.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 376
Points 5,040
Annette replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 10:32 PM

Nice pictures ladies!   Like the little furry friend on the bed.   I won't post a picture, as my sewing stuff is primarily packed in different plastic bins in a couple of different rooms.   Going to be moving some of my sons furniture out of a basement-level room this month and then hope to fix it up (plastering, new doors, repainting, new floor covering) over the winter so I can FINALLY have a sewing room again.   Can't wait.   Hope others will post pictures to give me ideas on how to organize.

Annette

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:10 PM

I am hoping to enclose a porech next year and have MY OWN space.  Murphy Bed would be a good idea!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:10 PM

I am hoping to enclose a porech next year and have MY OWN space.  Murphy Bed would be a good idea!!

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:12 PM

PS my furry friend is Sally, she is always with me when I sew.  Even lays under the longarm.  It would not be quilting without her.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Oct 4 2011 11:33 PM

Hey all of you with the nice neat rooms ,how do you find anything ,,LOL  Just kidden, they are beautiful rooms wish i had that kinda of space,, Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:43 AM

Elizabeth:

Elizabeth - Did you get that little brown bear with the white face from a bank about 30 years ago?  I have one just like him!  Buddy.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,195
Points 24,070
Elizabeth replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:19 AM

Funny you should ask, that bear is very precious.  He came with my son when I adopted him.  Patrick was 5 and came with that bear, 2 pairs of jeans, underwear, socks, shirts and shoes.  Everything but the bear was very worn.  I can remember when I took him to get new clothes he could not beleave they were all for him.  Patrick is now 32, a father of two. He let me keep the bear when he went in the Navy.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:31 AM

This is my quilt studio - the picked-up version.  I love so much being in here.  On one side there is the cutting with a big set of shelves on top of that, then there is the sewingside in front of the windows, and to the right there's a small table for tracing and ironing.  In back of the ironing is wedged a comfy couch for couch thinking/relaxing and then there are shelves stacked on that wall going up too.  And, on the last wall there is an open closet for fabric in hanging shoeboxes and nails above the door for hanging a design board.  I probably shouldn't mention this part, but between the closets (2) there is a mini-fridge bar.  I think its more for the ideal than anything, but it gives me a chuckle each time I look at it.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 129
Points 2,330
Ann replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:33 AM

Umm, we'll skip the bar view ;)  Just a bitty one!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,344
Points 28,400
Marsha-SM replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 12:27 PM

Ann,  So NEAT - everything bagged and labeled.  You won't get a picture of MY "sewing room".  It is all over the house in every available space.  We live in an old farmhouse - the add-a-room-when-you-need-it type.  We have small rooms downstairs - our bedroom is an enclosed porch which is 8' x 12'.  No room there.  Old dining room - 7' x 13' which is now an entry room with 2 large closets - one for clothing and one for pantry and other storage.  I have squeezed everything in one side of the storage closet and the other side I have found room for my fabrics.  Extra dressers that don't fit in the tiny bedrooms are stored in that area also.  It was to be my sewing room, but while we were in Texas for 2 weeks a few years ago, our son decided to "fix it up" for me.  We needed a roof over the back part of the house and he decided to "rearrange" the insides also.  He figured that area would be a good entry for the house as if we needed ANOTHER door.  He thought I could sew there because I had been sewing in the living room he didn't think I needed much room.  He didn't see me using the kitchen table for my cutting table, because he only saw it full of FOOD!  What is left of my "sewing room's" floor space seems to be home for excess storage and an old refrigerator.  No room even for the sewing machine.  Someday I can find homes for the "stuff" use the 5'x6' area that is left  The "wheels" keep turning and someday I will have a compact, useable sewing area.  The closet doors could turn into a display board, hinge down or hinge up tables could be devised along with a sewing machine cabinet built in.  The ideas keep forming, now if the energy would be there to build it.  (I'm the "antique" carpenter, plumber, electrician, mechanic and all-around- fixer-upper.)

My sewing area now is a piece of old paneling on top of a table in the middle of the kitchen.  That seems to be temporarily-permanent!  We eat in the livingroom whenever we are home - just 2 of us now!  I made a large ironing board top to put on the wobbly ironing board and that is next to the table.  I have a large cutting mat that nearly covers the paneling-they only new item in the whole MESS.  The sewing machine sits at the end of the table on a folding step-down sewing table-also wobbly.  Hard to work around, but it serves the purpose for now.  I do hand-piecing in the living room in my recliner while I keep my legs elevated.  I need to do that often during the day.  I also cut small blocks in my lap on a reversable 12 x 18" padded cutting board.  A lot of my hand work is done while riding in the truck with my husband while he trucks cattle and livestock.  That is a little hazzardous to fingers on our bumpy roads, but it keeps me sane!

If I live long-enough or get fed up with the situation, I MAY end up with a sort-of sewing room.  I have been promised an Amish-made kitchen table and chairs designed just for us, so if that every happens, I will have to move out of the kitchen.  We have had a large Amish community move into our area and we spend a lot of time moving their "things" and horses, etc with our cattle trailer.  They would also like to use me for "Taxi-service", but my health won't allow that now.  I have tried it, but get to tired and achy sitting in the car so long.  They like to go to so many places when they go.

I envy anyone with a "dedicated" sewing room or even a guest room to share with the sewing.

Marsha - Western New York

• | Post Points: 80
Page 1 of 29 (426 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use