Page 14 of 14 (205 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 204 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:20 PM

Marylin, as of now we are full, but if someone drops out I will let you know. Really sorry but the house only hold 18 .  so keep checking back You a also keep track on the retret section in  the groups. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 458
Points 9,535
Hi Barbara! I'd like to be included as well, but not 100% sure yet. Is that okay?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:20 AM

Chicago, I can put you on a waiting list , this retreat is full as of now. I may look for a bigger place for next year will just have to see ,folks really like the small homey atmosphere ,of this house . but space is very limited. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 385

Please put me on the wait list.  I do not understand how it is a quilt club that does not make plans for all members at a retreat.  The groups I belonged to in KS and OK had room for everyone.

54490-238-82709ACF8509E3BC1FOCFDB04EA66E

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 20
Points 385

Seems to me, that "small and homey" translate exclusive and selective, not real inclusive and the shareing way.

54490-238-82709ACF8509E3BC1FOCFDB04EA66E

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,402
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:38 PM

Marilyn Webb:
Please put me on the wait list.  I do not understand how it is a quilt club that does not make plans for all members at a retreat.  The groups I belonged to in KS and OK had room for everyone.

Marilyn, this is a very, very large group.  There is no way we could fit everyone unless we reserved a convention center.   And these are not QCA sponsored events.  It all started in 2010 when some of us who posted here started talking "wouldn't it be fun if we could get together."  Private individuals then started looking for places where this could happen.  I found a place in Leavenworth WA that was reasonable.  Barbara found the place for the Midwest retreat.  And there have been others. All these retreats started by individuals taking on the task of organizing a retreat.  It is a lot of work, and sometimes it means the individual making the reservation may put out some of their own money to make this happen, until payment is received by the others.  Luckily for Leavenworth we have arranged it so everyone pays ahead enough in advance to avoid this. 

We have tried to make these retreats affordable.  And have gotten some surprising deals.  At first I thought just locals from WA state and neighboring states would come to Leavenworth, but people come from all over.   I had no idea so many people would be interested.  We have had some great fun, and made many friends.  Everyone pitches in to make this happen.  Car pooling, picking people up at airports, train stations, bringing food, and even bringing extra sewing machines so that those flying don't have to worry about this. 

This will be our second retreat in Leavenworth.  It's a lot easier this year, having done it previously and knowing what to expect.   We have a waiting list too.  We could find a bigger place, but it would be more expensive.  Grand kids have given some of the participants are hard time, "what? you are going to a hotel, and will share a bed with someone you met on line and have never seen in person before?" 

It is some of the most fun I have ever had.  I really hope you can come to one.  Perhaps you know of a place near you where we could hold a retreat?  Check out the group "retreats" and see what is in the works. 

I hope to meet you at one of these some day.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:43 PM

Marilyn, what you may not understand is that these retreats are put on by individuals, not QCA.  One or two individuals try to locate a reasonably priced facility where a group of quilters from a geographic area can get together.  Last year after Barbara located this house, she advertised the opportunity here on the QCA discussion threads and then people signed up.  It didn't quite fill last year, so Barbara didn't really have an indication that a larger place might be needed until just recently when a waiting list was started.  Economically, it's better to have a waiting list than to have a half-empty house because then those attending have to pay more to cover the cost.

Keep watching here because there might still be openings.  People's plans can change quickly.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 9:45 PM

Oh, hi Patti!  I see your response beat mine.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,846
Points 248,979
Barbara replied on Tue, Jun 12 2012 10:24 PM

Marylin, Last year when we started taking about doing this ,there were only a few member that were intrested, it has since gotten bigger, I did post this at the first of the year and it filled up very quilckly, I wish we had more room for more members ,but those of us that attend last year liked this place and we decided to have it here again. Anyone can host a retreat on this club, it is not restricted to certain members. we have since had 3 more open up. I know Linda in Ohio has one going on in Aug. in Amish country. she may still have some openings. these spots fill up fast so when they are posted it is first come .I'm putiing you on a waiting list ,incase we do have a cancellation. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,547
Points 417,049
gini replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 9:24 PM

Marilyn, the club did sponsor a retreats maybe 4 years ago.  It was more expensive than these later retreats and I don't think anyone signed up to go, maybe one or two people.

The members are willing to do the research and work involved to seek out less expensive venues, and organize them.  This takes a lot of personal time and sometimes money.  because these venues are smaller and located by members with local knowledge, they are pretty reasonable.   None of these retreats have been selective or exclusive.  They are all first come-first serve.    So far, because they are so inexpensive, they are the opposite of exclusive,  more members can afford to come.   Unfortunately the,y are limited by space.  

Keep your eye on the retreat group, to see when these retreats are being planned, so you can get in early, or better yet, there is nothing keeping you from organizing a retreat of your own.

gini in north idaho

Page 14 of 14 (205 items) « First ... < Previous 10 11 12 13 14 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use