rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy Posted: Sat, Oct 1 2011 9:01 PM

Hi everybody,

I have a question that I just thought of as I was getting ready to start sewing my pieces together for my very first quilt. So bear with my ignorance. I know to use quilting thread for the actual quilting, but should I also use it for the piecing, or can I use regular thread such as polyester, or does it matter? I never thought of this and don't recall reading anything about it. Anyone?

Thanks for the input,

Kathy

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 365
Points 6,820

You can use regular thread for the piecing.  I think you should, actually.  I usually use cotton rather than polyester.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 9:13 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I was just getting ready to start sewing when I thought of this question.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,404
Points 361,172
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 9:22 PM

Kathy,

I think for piecing you should sew cotton with cotton. For quilting anything goes if you like it and you machine can handle it.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 4:24 PM

Thank you for the info. Is quilting thread for piecing, quilting, or both? I really had a time trying to figure out which thread to buy in the store. There are several kinds of cotton and I wasn't sure what the difference was. It was so busy, I wasn't able to get help, so I bought the kind marked for quilting. I'm going to dig out my quilting book again. Guess I must have missed a chapter.  LOL

Kathy

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,971
Points 27,675
Ramona replied on Sun, Oct 2 2011 6:06 PM

Kathy,

The small spools of quilting thread you buy at Joann's is for hand quilting. It's a heavier thread. The type of thread I use for piecing is just regular cotton thread. It says "All Purpose".  I use it in the bobbin and on top. Coats and Clarks, Gutermann are an example of the name brands I believe they sell at Joann's. They may even carry a Madera "All Purpose" thread.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Mon, Oct 3 2011 1:28 PM

I have a couple of spools now of the cotton quilters thread. I'll use those and look for some larger spools in the future. For all of the sewing that needs to be done, they look kind of small. Thanks for the reply.

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:28 PM

I use 50wt or 60wt cotton thread for piecing my quilts and 20 - 40wt thread for quilting the quilts. I agree, you really should use cotton for piecing but for quilting you can use just about anything your machine will allow you too!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 7:55 PM

I usually use cotton but polyester thread does not have the same issues it did years ago.  I think we are now just in the habit of using cotton.  I like to quilt with polyester.  50wt is a good weight for average quilting. 

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 10:51 PM

Do you actually do the fabric top, or the quilting stitches, or both? I have wondered why polyester isn't used in quilting. I'm learning as I go. In a quilt or two, I should know more. Hopefully  Thanks for the reply

Kathy

'

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:01 PM

Thanks Joy,

I would like to experiment with the threads a bit after I do a quilt or two. I like the looks of the multicolor thread. I couldn't find 50 weight cotton thread in the store. The cotton thread I looked at didn't have a weight listed on the spool. I just looked at them again,and can't find the weight listed. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see it. I'm going to visit the local quilt shop on my next shopping trip. I think it'll be a more productive trip.

Kathy

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 763
Points 16,095
Joy replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 9:58 AM

I do both piecing the top and quilting the quilt. I was always told the reason we use cotton thread to piece is because it shrinks with the pieced cotton material in the same way when washed - polyester may cause bunching because it doesn't shrink when washed. I do occasionally use polyester when quilting my quilts. When you go into a quilt shop or any store for thread ask them specifically for 50wt thread. Using good quality thread is extremely important.

The more you quilt the more you will learn! I have made 30 plus quilts and I still learn something new with every quilt! QCA is a great place to 'bounce' ideas, ask questions and learn new ways to quilt.

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 4:33 PM

This video by Superior Threads talks about cotton vs poly thread.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/videos/2-cotton-thread-vs-polyester-thread/

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 480
Melanie replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 5:16 PM

a long time quilter friend/mentor said she uses the Joannes thread that looks like serger thread...."serger.well" ...it's $1.99 at Joannes and she says she uses it because a quilt she did 15 years ago..that her client purchased and washes every month  has  held up.....kinda shocked me...but..hey..whatever works!!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 43
Points 1,265
Kathy replied on Sat, Oct 8 2011 6:11 PM

That video was very informative and answered all of my questions. It was great.

Thank you so much for the link.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use