Top 10 Posters

Labeling a quilt? I've never done one. Need suggestions.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 265
Elizabeth posted on Sat, Oct 1 2011 2:04 PM

I'm entering a quilt into my first quilt show and they require the quilt to be labeled.  And then at my first Quilt Guild meeting, everyone was saying I should label all my quilts.

I could do a simple one, but would love to hear what others do.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,035 Posts
Points 19,865

If just pieced by me I say "pieced by", if quilted "quilted by"(i use this also if I send out and give the quilter credit), if done for someone I say so, I include my city, state and year.  If I have used a specific pattern I include that name, if I do in a class I include the name of the class and date.  As you can see I include alot but I believe the basics are your name and date.

Beth/Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750

Elizabeth,

I mainly do quilts for myself and family so my labels are pretty simple.  If this quilt is yours, then you can just put your name,  the name of the quilt design/pattern and date it.  If I'm making it for a specific family member then I add To and From and maybe the holiday given, i.e. birrthday or Christmas and even an embroidery design and the month and year. However, quilt labels can be more specific with the person who pieced it, the quilter's name, date, city and state, name of pattern, occasion, even pictures can be added to the label. Whatever makes you happy.  Many feel their quilts are a part of history and will add as much information as possible for future generations.

• Filed under:
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750

Elizabeth,

Let me add that I have also entered my quilts in a show and I have not done anything different than I would usually do for the particular quilt label.

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,584 Posts
Points 54,526

I have a question on labels also.  What have you found to be the best way to actually "write" the label?  Do you use some type of permanent marking pen, computer printed labels?  I need something that will stand up to a lot of washing for a utility baby quilt I'm finishing for my neice.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
7 Posts
Points 50

I like computer printed labels---can add clip art it you like---just be sure the printer fabric you use is 'washable"---haven't had any trouble and some have been washed a lot.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,309 Posts
Points 26,915

I do my labels on my embroidery module.  so fancy some not.  Check my gallery for one I did for a quilt of valor

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
25,027 Posts
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:31 PM

Sandy H.:
What have you found to be the best way to actually "write" the label? 

Sandy,

I embroider mine either by machine or hand. I worry about fading ink and think these last longer.

I also attach my label before quilting so it's difficult to remove.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,116 Posts
Points 29,750

Sandy,

I do mine on an embroidery machine. Before I purchased it though, I was writing them with a perm, acid free, marking pen. You can actually find labels as fabric yardage. They come with a variety of little designs on them.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use