This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 315
Points 7,280
Georgia replied on Sat, Oct 31 2009 1:47 PM

Joyce Brenden:

Georgia--

Thanks for the info on monofilament thread.  I've had mixed results with it in the past, so will be eager to try this brand.  Does it work well in the bobbin too?

Joyce -- I use monofilament in both the bobbin and on top.  Sometimes I use them at the same time and at other times I use monofilament in the bobbin and a different thread in the machine, other times its vice versa.  It depends upon what effect I'm after on the quilt.  I am currently working on a thread painting project and I am using the monofilament in the bobbin and other threads on top -- variegated, holoshimmer, metallic, etc.  The key to doing this is adjusting your tension.  I know when I started out I was scared to death of adjusting my tension.  When I was growing up and doing garment sewing with my mom, she set the tension and heaven forbid if I touched that knob!  Now I move that tension up and down all the time.  I don't mess with my bobbin tension though.  I have done some bobbin work and after trying to adjust that back and forth I decided it was worth an extra bobbin case that is set for bobbin work only.  My machine dealer helped me get the bobbin tension back to normal for regular sewing and he helped me adjust a separate casing for heavier threads for bobbin work.  Now I have a Janome 6500 and to do bobbin work, I don't even have to adjust it at all.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 972
sissi replied on Sun, Nov 1 2009 6:23 PM

Thanks everyone for helping me out....I had to switch the project to color thread and I am changing the top thread all the time.....so much for what I thought a small project....Unfortunately I don't have easy access to these threads...I'm from Montreal, Canada - I have to order on line and I already started quilting.

My huge issue is that the thread from the top is making big loops under...like a splash of thread....I have to go under my longharm and try and undo the stiching....OMG....why is it doing this?  I keep trying to change the tension...I have a lizzie 18 and it does not always work....anyone else have this problem?

Celine

Celine

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,694
Points 141,583

sissi:

Thanks everyone for helping me out....I had to switch the project to color thread and I am changing the top thread all the time.....so much for what I thought a small project....Unfortunately I don't have easy access to these threads...I'm from Montreal, Canada - I have to order on line and I already started quilting.

My huge issue is that the thread from the top is making big loops under...like a splash of thread....I have to go under my longharm and try and undo the stiching....OMG....why is it doing this?  I keep trying to change the tension...I have a lizzie 18 and it does not always work....anyone else have this problem?

Celine

Celine, I have run into problems of this nature on occasion. I changed the needle, and rethreaded my machine. When I would pull the thread out of the needle to start, I could feel as I was pulling it that it was sliding through too easily and that the top tension was not creating the "pull" that it needed and the thread was creating ginormous loops underneath. I had to pull the thread back out and rethread until I felt that "pull". Generally, when you have these problems it is stricty a tension problem.  

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.