Page 4 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 10 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 58
Points 2,110
Steph replied on Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:43 AM

Wow!  I can't tell you how helpful all your posts are.  Your generousity in taking the time is amazing.  With that in mind, I thought I'd give you an update.  On the iron:  yesterday I bought a Rowenta Pro Master at Sears on sale for about $80.  It was a lot to spend, but the discount was large and, based on your comments and research, this seemed to be the one to go with.  There was a slightly cheaper version one step down with LED heat selection, but I took a pass.  Reason:  It was the electronics on my Shark that blew, among other problems.  The Pro Master has a mechanical turn knob, which I can get comfortable with, and also allows you to set temperatures BETWEEN the major settings, which was helpful last night as I was bonding Heat 'n Lite to wool.  It gets hot FAST, and has an 8 minute delay for auto shut-off with a fast restart, which I like.  And the steam is really good.  Mostly, I love the glide of the thing, even on wool.  So, less than 24 hours later, I'm happy with the iron!  We'll see how it goes.  

Now. . .on to the lightweight machine!!

And since there's already a Stephanie posting, I'll sign mine "Steph".  (scmatz is so stuffy!)

Thanks again!

Steph

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Wow really interesting information.  I have always used distilled water in my irons.  I have a cordless black and decker that I really like, have had it for over 25 years and wanted to buy another because who knows when this will go out.  They don't make them any more.   I was willed a Rowenta, (long story, won't go into right now) I don' t think it is more than a couple of years old.  I have been using distilled water.  Didn't have an instruction book so did not know you were not suppose to do that.  Something I have noticed is that I was buying several gallons when on sale.  Well the plastic jugs start leaking at the seams.  Don't know why, they are not exposed to heat or cold.   Guess I had better start mixing the stuff with spring or tap water. 

As for the machine,  I have a small brother that I cart around when needed.  I think it weighs about 12 lbs.  I really like brother machines.  No oiling to worry about, but you have to keep it clean.  It does not like lint.

Granny M

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,288
Points 26,450

Granny M, When I bought my Rowena it said to ONLY use tap water!!!  That is one of the reason I bought it.  Have never had a problem and had it for about 10 years

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Sun, Oct 9 2011 8:51 PM

Barbara:
I just ordered one of those new Olisio irons 
I got my new iron last week and have been using it for several days now , OMG I love it.I really like that I can just set it down and it rises up ,I finally found one that gets hot enough for me.  I use tap water in it ,the was what the manufacture suggested..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,537
Points 21,100

Barbara, I had never heard of that iron before, but looked it up and wow when I get a new iron I think that is the one that I will try.  It looks amazing.  DH has a rowenta which I like okay but some aspect of what I want in an iron for quilting is missing.   The Olisio looks like it would be perfect for quilting.  I too like a good hot iron for pressing.

Margaret

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,608
Points 247,132
Thea replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 1:54 PM

I have an Olliso  and have to tell you - I wouldn't recommend it  - it does get hot - but when I am pressing down a seam and leave it in just one place for a split second too long sometimes it will go up and down automatically and screws up the fabric... so didn't like it - that was the reason I bought the Shark - it heats up fast - is blistering hot - so Beth ferrier would like it and I didn't spend an arm and a leg on it... I have used Rowenta - started leaking - My Reliable - loved it but it just quit one day - and have told the story of the Olissio(sp)... so only buying inexpensive irons from here on out... I would rather spend the extra money on fabric...teehee

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 2:16 PM

Althea :
I have an Olliso  and have to tell you - I wouldn't recommend it  

Thea, I'm sorry to hear yours didn't work well, I have not had any problems so far with mine and I really like it , I let you know if I have any problems .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

Thea, I have had 3 different Rowenta's and all three wound up leaking like a seive. One would think I would have learned quicker. I now have a Morphy Richards (whatever that is!!) that I bought at Tuesday Morning for not too much. From now on I am buying cheap irons, too. I'm with you, rather spend money on fabric!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Mon, Oct 10 2011 11:59 PM

Elaine Phillips:
From now on I am buying cheap irons, too

Elaine and Thea,I did not spend that much on my new iron,I pruchased the mid -priced one and it was under 100.00,I got it from Amazon. I've been buying the cheaper iron and have had lots of trouble with them leaking..BArbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 4 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use