Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 53 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 1:57 PM

Barbara, 

Rowentas are available practically everywhere.  I bought my 2nd one with the coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond many years ago.   Prior to that, the first one came from QVC before they became available all over.  I think JoAnn sells them, too and I don't believe there is an exclusion from using the coupon  on it.

Sounds like the people who commented favorably have newer models than the two I had that shorted out.  Maybe I'll try one again.  I really liked how they heated up and didn't leak 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,426
Points 72,120
Karla replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:05 PM

Sheri A.:
I think JoAnn sells them, too and I don't believe there is an exclusion from using the coupon  on it.

You can not use the 50% off coupon on irons at Jo-Ann's as they are excluded in the fine print on the coupon.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

I purchased a $30 Sunbeam from Walmart that I am extremely happy with. (don't remember the model, but it has a blue "tank" and stainless sole plate. I do wish I could bypass the auto off, but it heats back up again fast enough for me.   I have had 2 rowentas, both started leaking terribly after about a years use. Perhaps the much older models are better. (mine were with in the past 4 years) I even "splurged" and purchased the Reliable Velocity V50 based on what I had been told about it. Big mistake for the money. (am currently working on getting a refund or replacement). 

As for machines - I have a Janome AQS anniversary edition. I forget what that translates to in regular models, but it weighs less than 12 lbs and is a dream to use, both for classes and as a back up at home. (my 'big' machine is a Babylock Quilters choice). I wouldn't hesitate to go with the smaller Babylock either, it just happened that I got a good deal on the Janome at the time.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,117
Points 411,044
gini replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 3:59 PM

akvallhund, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 5:47 PM

Barbara:
my biggest problem is they start leaking something awfu

Barbara that's what happened to my Rowenta so I bought the Olisio at a quilt show and so far so good, no spitting.  I wish I had a thrift shop near me like Gini's.

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Valory replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 5:56 PM

I have a Rowenta too and love that is has strong steam and a nice point for making my seams and points just right!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Valory replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 6:04 PM

I saw one I was thinking about that is a demo with little use but a great price.  It's a Brother, who makes Baby Locks.  Here is the link http://www.longarmsupplies.net/brothernx450qsewingandquilting.aspx

I have several Brothers and have loved them.  The ones from Walmart etc, are their lower end models but I have one I bought at Costco and it has been great.  My husband thinks it's his!  Good luck!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,807
Points 43,614
Eileen replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:03 PM

I just got my Joann Fabric Columbus Day ad in the mail & they have Rowenta irons & steamers at 20% off. They also have a couple simple Singer machines on sale - one is $99.99 ((Singer tradition 2277) and the other is $149.99 (Singer 4411 Heavy Duty). The ad does not mention weight.

When I bought my Reliable iron, I actually got it online at Joann & was able to use the 40% or 50% coupon I had at the time (last year).  I don't know if that was a fluke or normal.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,057
Points 170,727
MNnancy replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 8:37 PM

I just purchased my second T-fal iron - got it from Amazon for $39.  It does have a teflon soleplate, heats quickly, and steams nicely.  Interesting that the manual says NOT to use distilled water.  Tap water is best or 1/2 tap and 1/2 purified.  (purified?  as in drinking water in bottles?)

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Sep 30 2011 9:27 PM

Nancy,I had a TFal and I loved it and then one day I picked it up to use it and all the water came out the sole plate. I'd only had it alittle over a year ,I was really bumbed about that . Glad yours is working great ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 7:39 AM

MNnancy:
  (purified?  as in drinking water in bottles?)

Yes Nancy as in water in bottles.  That's what my Olisio requires.  My tap water has many chems in it so I have a dispenser with the large water jug I purchased at BJ's.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,266
Points 135,068

MNnancy:
Interesting that the manual says NOT to use distilled water. 

Nancy,

The Rowenta's say this too and they mean it. The only time I ever had leaking or spitting was using distilled water. Don't know why they work like that, but do by all means use tap water or half and half. 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,465
safrmaz replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:18 AM

I never used distilled water in my Rowentas and they never leaked.  I read somewhere to NOT use distilled water but use spring water in irons.  When I switched from tap water to spring water in my Black & Decker, the build-up of mineral scale and rusty chunks lessened dramatically.  I buy the spring water by the gallon like you can buy distilled water.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25
aresea replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:30 AM

Now that you have discussed the water in your irons,  I prefer the cordless irons.  Does Rowenta come in a cordless?  I haven't been able to find one.  

Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sat, Oct 1 2011 8:44 AM

Nancy,I m gonna try your combo on the water for irons,maybe it will help mine I just ordered one of those new Olisio irons  off of Amazon.I got one of the mid priced ones , Eileen and Maire both say they are nice irons..Can't wait for it to get here..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 2 of 4 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use