Top 10 Posters

Quilting a small piece.

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 940
Bev St.Amant posted on Mon, Sep 26 2011 11:48 AM

Hello everyone:  My question is this:  I am quilting a smaller piece (approximately 40 x 40) and the bottom material seems to be shifting on me.  I'm only going to do a1.5" quilting for a bag that I will be making.  Any suggestions as to how to do it so both side don't buckle on me.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
763 Posts
Points 16,090
Joy replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 12:34 PM

When my material shifts I check a few things first: Are there enough pins? Make sure they are no more than a fist apart. Are the feed dogs down/covered? Some machines have adjustable presser for the presser foot...can you loosen a bit? If all else fails try a walking foot. (Although I don't like them...used mine once and that was enough).

Hope it helps a bit! Good luck!

Joy

Mooresville, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,482 Posts
Points 43,630
Suggested by Denise_Oregon

I love the walking foot.  Are you freemotion or are you doing regular?  For freemotion, i would start in the centre for stitch in the ditch or other pin it good.  or use a spray.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 1:24 PM

on a smaller piece you can use elmer's glue sticks to hold the layers in place

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 6:14 PM

I use basting spray to hold small pieces together.  It  usually works pretty good.  And if I'm doing straight line like stitch in the ditch or "grid" lines, I use the walking foot so I can keep my spacing evenly spaced.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 940

Thank you ladies for your suggestions and I never even thought of using the spray glue.  It's only some material that I am quilting to use to make a bag so there isn't any stitch in the ditch type quilting.  Next time I make this bag I am going to buy some pre-quilted material!  I'll post the picture when I get  it made.  Thanks again.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Mon, Sep 26 2011 11:14 PM

bev i have quilted material several times for bags.  i cut the pieces larger than they need to be and after quilting cut them the size i want.   you can get much more unique material by quilting it yourself.  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 940

Hi Gini:  Yes, that is what I am doing - quilting a piece larger than required and then with with left overs I usually make lots of little "change purses" to put inside the larger bag.  This bag is called the "Sunday Sachel" and is totally unique.  If you are interested I can send you the name of lady who designed it.  I ordered it off of the internet but my group of gals in Arizona had a class on making it.  I made one and now everyone wants one!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:03 AM

bev, i would love her name

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,426 Posts
Points 72,150
Karla replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:22 AM

Bev St.Amant:
If you are interested I can send you the name of lady who designed it. 

I'd love to have it too!  I enjoy making totes, bags, etc. for craft sales and we have 2 coming up in November.

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 940

Hi Gini:  Here's the name that's on the pattern:  Linda Marcou, N88 W15936 Park Blvd; Menomopnee Falls, WI 53051.  Phone:  262-255-3883.  Email:  lmarcou731@wi.rr.com and there is a website also which is:  www.finethreads.biz  I hope you enjoy making it.  It is a bit confusing at first and then when you finally "get it", it's a fantastic bag.

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 940

Hi Karla:  If you read my reply to Gini I have posted the info for the bag.  Enjoy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,123 Posts
Points 411,179
gini replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 11:03 AM

bev, that is a cool bag, thanks for the info.    gini

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use